Junkyard Roof Rack - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Roof Rack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #76
paris-dakar

Tagging this thread.

paris-dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #77
JeepGuyBrian
2011 JK Wrangler 

I purchased an explorer rack with all the same parts and pieces that the pictures of the first post show in anticipation of doing this someday... Anyway, plans changed, and don't think I'll be doing it anymore. If anybody is interested in it PM me. I paid $25 on eBay for the rack +$25 shipping, so if I could get some of that back and help someone out that'd be great!
JeepGuyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #78
CoastieCJ

FYI, I just put on a rack from a 93-97 Isuzu Rodeo. The rack fit perfectly on my CJ-7 Hardtop with no issues. It was a direct bolt in with no trimming required. I like that it's got a stainless/black scheme, which nicely matches what I have on the jeep. The only real downside is that there is no provision to easily remove the cross bars. However, a little dremeling down the road and I think I'll be able to make it so they can slide out the back. I'll post pics after this weekend. I'll be running up to Tahoe and testing the rack with my ski carrier.
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #79
TreeFrog1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuyBrian;
I purchased an explorer rack with all the same parts and pieces that the pictures of the first post show in anticipation of doing this someday... Anyway, plans changed, and don't think I'll be doing it anymore. If anybody is interested in it PM me. I paid $25 on eBay for the rack +$25 shipping, so if I could get some of that back and help someone out that'd be great!
I'm in -- pm on the way!
TreeFrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #80
larstore
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So, i need a rack as well.. and after reading this post, i started looking.. I have now located a 94 Ford Explorer rack and a 98 Cherokee rack.

Before i decide to order one of these (the junkyard is far away), does anyone have pictures of the cherokee rack or experiences on the fitment?

LT
larstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #81
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My rack is off an 89 xj. There's pics of it in this thread somewhere. I like the xj racks better personally because they don't look as bulky up top, they look more sleek. The rack had to be cut down about 3.5" from the width and 7" from the length to fit my lj. I'm really happy with it, it's solid.
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #82
larstore
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_punk View Post
My rack is off an 89 xj. There's pics of it in this thread somewhere.
I saw that picture, that's why i want to go that route myself. Do you have more pictures?

Are the crossbars removable?

And, do you know if all the Cherokee XJs used the same rack? I recently saw a 95', and im am pretty sure it had "taller" rails. Your look more like the yakima/thule design? (completely flat with a groove to attach the crossbars?)

Quote:
I'm really happy with it, it's solid.
As long as it can hold a couple of snowboards im happy..
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #83
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The reason I got mine was for a snowboard rack. XJs used a few different racks. The one I got was, in my opinion, the best looking version. There are 2 rails that you bolt to the top, and the crossbars mount to that. You can take the crossbars off by unscrewing the knobs that hold them on. I trust that more than a button you push to slide/remove the crossbars.

Oh and I'll look for other pics later, I'm on my iPod now.
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #84
larstore
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The reason I got mine was for a snowboard rack. XJs used a few different racks. The one I got was, in my opinion, the best looking version. There are 2 rails that you bolt to the top, and the crossbars mount to that. You can take the crossbars off by unscrewing the knobs that hold them on. I trust that more than a button you push to slide/remove the crossbars.

Oh and I'll look for other pics later, I'm on my iPod now.
Great, i have an 87' and an 89' cherokee on a junkyard nearby..

Looking forward to see som more pics! Thanks.

LT
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #85
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rigged up this one for a grand total of $75 (50 for rack, 25 for ski rack) I snagged a Xterra rack from a guy, painted it up and mounted it..only took a few hours
I have better pictures of completed project/Xterra cargo box that I can post later
Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #86
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Larstore - I have a 99 XJ being used for parts that has a rack on top. It goes from the hatch to just behind the front doors. In comparison our 93 XJs rack goes from the hatch to the wind shield. The 93 cross bars sit a little lower but the 99 set up is much sleeker.

Do you have any specific picture requests? The headliner is out of the 99 so I could get a few pictures for you. Let me know! If you are interested in the 99 rack let me know that too!
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #87
larstore
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
Larstore - I have a 99 XJ being used for parts that has a rack on top. It goes from the hatch to just behind the front doors. In comparison our 93 XJs rack goes from the hatch to the wind shield. The 93 cross bars sit a little lower but the 99 set up is much sleeker.

Do you have any specific picture requests? The headliner is out of the 99 so I could get a few pictures for you. Let me know! If you are interested in the 99 rack let me know that too!
Hello! I would love some close up pictures of both racks. Preferably of the siderails and how the crossbars attach to them.

Thanks!
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #88
masterwacker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
Rigged up this one for a grand total of $75 (50 for rack, 25 for ski rack) I snagged a Xterra rack from a guy, painted it up and mounted it..only took a few hours
I have better pictures of completed project/Xterra cargo box that I can post later
I would love to see some more pictures of that setup!!!
masterwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #89
TreeFrog1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^x2..............
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #90
TreeFrog1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wait, I would also love to see more of your painted Canyons. I'm thinking about doing that to mine.

Tags
hardtop , lj , roof rack , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.