Junkyard Roof Rack - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Roof Rack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #46
bjjfoshizzy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe I missed it but what is the overall length and width if you know? Thanks.

bjjfoshizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #47
spunky424

would also like to know this info
spunky424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #48
f-head

After reading this thread, I went to the junkyard and spent a fair amount of time comparing the Explorer racks with others. I eventually took a luggage rack off a Nissan Quest. It's virtually the same as the one on the Explorer but was tied in with torx bolts so it was much easier to remove. It was also a bit shorter, the perfect length, so I didn't have to cut it at all. Then, I grabbed a few extra-tie downs to put on the track and I use them as attachments for my garage hoist.
f-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #49
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice rack man!
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #50
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

As far as weight goes the hardtop can carry more than most ppl would think. I have a full Yakima control tower landing pad setup with a Yakima loadwarrior w/ extension on it (already a pretty heavy setup dry) and load it up for every trip i go on and have never had a problem with the top flexing under weight. i suppose if you wanted peice of mind you could add a third support bracket directly over the cross member of the cage.

TJ TECH BOOT CAMP: READ IF NEW

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/
Help us form the JF Search and Rescue Team
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jf-rescue-704069/
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Is that bumper weighted to keep you from catching air at highway speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Well no (why would it) :confused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Because I think your fender flares could easily pass for wings
SmashinTJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #51
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What about an XJ Cherokee rack? I know this Jeep isn't a TJ, but this shot from above shows how the Cherokee rack fits on the top of a CJ-8, it should fit fine on a TJ hardtop as well. The nice thing about the design of this rack is that the longitudinal rails have removable plastic end caps, which means you can cut the rack to any length you want to fit on a TJ top. Plus you'd have a "factory" Jeep rack You can also re-use the rooftop plastic strips from a Cherokee with new double-sided automotive tape.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #52
dbornemann
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update

Finally got around to painting the interior of the top and finishing this project. Here are some before, during, and after pics.

Unread 10-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #53
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

looks awesome. i'm going to junkyard today...i think i'll try finding an XJ or Explorer roof rack so I can copy your idea.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #54
HighBody
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i like it... too bad i dont play any winter sports where this is needed... i kinda want it anyway though...
i need something for the summer for the kayaks and canoe
HighBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #55
Madmanmiller802
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was considering doing this, but i decided not to drill the holes in the hardtop. I am going to be going with a rear mount system of some sort for snowboards. I have the exact same roof rack from an explorer. It does not have those tie downs on it. I picked it up at a junkyard to do this. It is now for sale. I will ship it it weighs almost nothing i want ten bucks plus shipping. I got it at the yard for only ten bucks. This is the two strips that go lengthwise anf the two crossbars. the crossbars are adjustable and removable. Call my cell 8025229468 or email cmiller5@mail.une.edu I know this is not the classifieds forum but i thought someone may want thee to complete the same project as OP
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #56
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just put that on today. its from an 89 cherokee. $21 from the junkyard. i had to cut it down to fit like the OP did but it was super easy. i like how the cherokee one is held on by 6 bolts running through the rail. its super solid, that thing isnt going anywhere.
Unread 11-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #57
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thats fantasitc! to be honest when i heard ford roof rack i thought you were crazy for trying to make it work, but it looks like it has been there since the factory.
GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

PM me if you have an old hilift and/or a 31x10.5 R15 youd like to trade or sell, im in the market for a jack and a trailspare. Cheers!
jeepgunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #58
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin4lo View Post

just put that on today. its from an 89 cherokee. $21 from the junkyard. i had to cut it down to fit like the OP did but it was super easy. i like how the cherokee one is held on by 6 bolts running through the rail. its super solid, that thing isnt going anywhere.
i really like how it came out on the LJ. i just recently got ahardtop and this is part of my plans since id like to put a snowboard up there..
im just nervous about messing it up.. is there anything to worry about??
also you got any more pix?

Edit: Just saw pix in another thread..
also i just realized the OP used the rack from an explorer, whereas you used the cherokee , it sits lower down.. i like it!
looks likeill be on the lookout for one from an XJ!

Last edited by MisterO; 11-20-2009 at 06:40 AM..
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #59
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJeep04 View Post
i really like how it came out on the LJ. i just recently got ahardtop and this is part of my plans since id like to put a snowboard up there..
im just nervous about messing it up.. is there anything to worry about??
also you got any more pix?
snowboarding is the reason i wanted a rack up there theres nothing you could really mess up on it. grab a rack from the junkyard that you like, and preferably one that you can cut down to size, then mount it up. i drilled straight through the hardtop, put some silicone in the hole, then put in a 1 1/4" bolt, then threw on a washer, lock washer, and a nut. it would probably be easier with the top off the jeep, but i did it with the top on.

if you end up using an XJ rack, when you cut for length, you can just chop off one end of the rail. theres a plastic seal that slides in under the rail, make sure you cut the end of that to the same shape it was before so that the end plugs can fit back in (you can use the scrap you cut off as a template). redrill another hole through the rail if necessary. as for the width, make sure you take even amounts off of each end of the crossbar. the crossbars have a curve to them so if you take even amounts off of each side then curve will still be even. nothing special about cutting the crossbars, just chop them up and redrill a tiny hole for the feet to screw back onto it.

other than that, line it up on your hardtop (i put the rails just outside of the 2 outmost ribs on the top) mark the holes (6 for each rail), and drill through. just make sure your holes are far enough in that the underside is a flat surface to mount the washer to. also, watch out for the sport cage and the sound bar (i accidently went a little too far and put a hole in the plastic on the sound bar oops. thats what i get for not checking twice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJeep04 View Post
Edit: Just saw pix in another thread..
also i just realized the OP used the rack from an explorer, whereas you used the cherokee , it sits lower down.. i like it!
looks likeill be on the lookout for one from an XJ!
thats why i chose the cherokee rack over the explorer rack. i didnt like how high the crossbars were on the explorer one. plus, its from a jeep!

it was a really easy install. let me know if you have any questions if you end up doing it. i'll get some more pictures later, but be forewarned, i'll have to use my cell phone. i dont have an actual camera.
Unread 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #60
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbornemann View Post
Finally got around to painting the interior of the top and finishing this project. Here are some before, during, and after pics.

I know this is very random, an i dont mean to stray the thread off topic, but can i have a picture of that holder you made for your top? I want to build one as i also have a soft top for my rig, and taking that back window out is a hassle. Besides after seeing how well u built that rack id trust your 2x4 skills as well.
GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

PM me if you have an old hilift and/or a 31x10.5 R15 youd like to trade or sell, im in the market for a jack and a trailspare. Cheers!
jeepgunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardtop , lj , roof rack , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.