Junkyard Roof Rack - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Roof Rack

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #31
JasonJW
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to comment on the piece of flat stock inside to keep from tearing out your top but it looks like I was beaten to it! I had that problem when I did something similar on the top of a Sidekick. Fortunately, you could probably head down to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a piece of aluminum angle or flat stock that will solve the problem for a few dollars, and stiffen your top while you are at it. Looks good to me, almost like a stock option.

Unread 11-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #32
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on the weight youd haul could you build somekind of a crossbar on the cage to add support underneath.Then tie/bolt in the rack to the rollbar.
Does the hardtop flex at all that would make it squeak or crack if you did this?

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #33
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
Does the hardtop flex at all that would make it squeak or crack if you did this?
I have the Yakima rails (exactly same concept as the JY version). The most I use it for is to haul skis as I did not want them hanging off the rear due to salt/grime spray. Had 4 pairs of skis up there and had no bending or flexing. I have put my weight on the the rails slip 50-50 and did not notice any deformation (170lbs). Put the rails near the first 8" of the curve of the top and you should have no concerns. I actually noticed the top had more 'bones' to it this last spring when I stuck to soft back on.

The Yakima set up had 1.5" plastic nuts toe use along the inside of the top. I see no reason to add anything else unless you plan on putting a giant basket up there.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #34
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
I have the Yakima rails (exactly same concept as the JY version). The most I use it for is to haul skis as I did not want them hanging off the rear due to salt/grime spray. Had 4 pairs of skis up there and had no bending or flexing. I have put my weight on the the rails slip 50-50 and did not notice any deformation (170lbs). Put the rails near the first 8" of the curve of the top and you should have no concerns. I actually noticed the top had more 'bones' to it this last spring when I stuck to soft back on.

The Yakima set up had 1.5" plastic nuts toe use along the inside of the top. I see no reason to add anything else unless you plan on putting a giant basket up there.
Not sure who that was directed to but thank you for all said , great info. I will probably end up doin this soon. Thanks.
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #35
dbornemann
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby_3 View Post
That is a great idea and I think you have giving many of us a thought about the future. I have a LJ so I wonder if I would have to cut the rails like you did or if they would just fit with no modification.
I believe I cut right around 11 inches off, so if the LJ is >11 inches longer than the TJ you probably wouldn't need to bother cutting.
Unread 01-13-2009, 02:52 AM   #36
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just wondering how this has been working out for you? i really want to do this so i can mount a snowboard rack to the top.

the main thing thats on my mind is stress on the hardtop. any cracking or anything from the bolts? does it leak at all? thanks a ton in advance.
mJUSTINm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #37
jgtree
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i just put an explorer rack on my TJ.no leaks,i only cut 6" off the railing.
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #38
funky_boss23
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Love it. Exactly what I've been looking for. Beats paying $400 for a Yakima or Thule system. I need something like this for my surfboards.

How high above the top does it sit at the cross bars? Looks to be 2" or so.

Great work.

JT
funky_boss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #39
mscottz
2011 JK Wrangler 

How much weight do you think the hardtop could safely carry?
Colorado Jeep Club member #1969
mscottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #40
BONES714

Has your top had any stress crack as of yet? An update would be great thanks.
BONES714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #41
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

1.5 years later, my hard top is just fine. Took it off the Jeep last night to put the soft top on and looked it over.
Unread 05-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #42
BONES714

Thats great to hear! Did you get the ski attachment for your crossbars to hold skis & boards? What have you been carrying with your rack?
Unread 05-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #43
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the powder hound ski attachment. I have carried 4 pairs of skis at 75mph with no issues at all. I only use it in the winter for skiing and the such as I have the softop on during the summer.
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #44
BONES714

Sweet! I Am defiantly going to do this to my YJ then.
Unread 06-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #45
dbornemann
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just an update after one whole winter with the roof rack. Plus a few answers to some questions.

There has been no noticeable damage to the top, either across the middle or at the bolt holes. Caveat that with the fact that the heaviest load I have yet put up there is two snowboards.

There have been no leaks as of yet either. Caveat THAT with the fact that I don't spend much time at all in rain or snow. But, I've not seen as much as a drop after washing the Jeep.

I don't know what the max load is for the rack, but I would comfortably put 150 lbs or so. I don't think it's much different than a standard stock roof rack on a car or SUV- they're really not intended for heavy weight in the first place.

Lastly I took the forum's advice on flat stock on the inside to provide a better backing for any "pulling" force from above. I went with 1.5" aluminum, 1/8" thick. It's the perfect width to not interfere with the formed ribs in the top. I cut 8 4" pieces out, drilled them and bolted them up. I plan on painting them when I paint the inside of the top sometime this summer.

close up

the back 4 plates

Tags
hardtop , lj , roof rack , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.