Junkyard Roof Rack - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Roof Rack

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #196
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
A cordless drill/screwdriver with a normal size philips bit. Takes 5 minutes to unscrew. If you do it with a regular screwdriver, maybe 10 minutes.
sounds good thanks

HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #197
Jughead
2011 WK 

So how much weight can the hardtop hold using these racks?
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #198
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone used a rack from a 2002 explorer xlt or one from this generation? just want to make sure it works. maybe we can get people listing what rack they used to help me and others also. thanks
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #199
toxikmo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone added more bracing to these , mine flexes abit more than I like. When I have my snowboard up top.
I was thinking about adding some just not sure if I should do it side to side or front to back
toxikmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #200
RubiDee
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller02TJ View Post
has anyone used a rack from a 2002 explorer xlt or one from this generation? just want to make sure it works. maybe we can get people listing what rack they used to help me and others also. thanks

I used a rack from a 90's XJ, shortened tracks by 10" and bolted thru top with fender washers on inside, been great for 2 yrs. Not sure about explorer rack but the years I've seen look pretty bulky compare to the XJ rack and crossmembers come off easily when not in use. I think others in the thread used Explorer racks.
RubiDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #201
RubiDee
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikmo View Post
Has anyone added more bracing to these , mine flexes abit more than I like. When I have my snowboard up top.
I was thinking about adding some just not sure if I should do it side to side or front to back
What flexes? Crossmember? Mine only flexes when I have more than 100 lbs (lumber, etc.) Not sure why a snowboard would make it flex, they are light.
RubiDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #202
toxikmo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiDee View Post

What flexes? Crossmember? Mine only flexes when I have more than 100 lbs (lumber, etc.) Not sure why a snowboard would make it flex, they are light.
Mine flexes on the rails passanger back right bolt started leaking(silicone on all bolts) only after I have 2 board on the yakima fat cat 6 on the rack.

I can't upload a pic since file is too big and don't know how to compress ir on my phone.

My plan was to reinforce it on the inside. Just not sure if I should go from
driver side to passenger side.
Or
Front to back
Or...
Create a "U" for the front and one fore the rear but for that I'd have to find someone who can weld it up. Since I can't.

I Found some metal that would fit either way just have to cut it down and drill some holes paint and install.

So just not sure which way I should do it.

Mine is from a windstar.
toxikmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #203
Wagex
1998 TJ Wrangler 

when i bought my tj someone had already put the rails up there problem is they did not leave the cross bars lol i wish i had a clue what they took it off of so that i could find some cross bars, the universal ones are expensive and too long imo.
Wagex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #204
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Post some pics, maybe someone will recognize yours.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #205
MFNKLJ06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hard Top Roof Rack

So I'm pretty much sold on the roof rack, but I have a question.

Has anyone who has added a roof rack to their hard top, just it to lift the top off of the jeep with hoist?

As far as racks you can order, Garvin claims that you can with no issues with their rack. I emailed them and asked.

I have a top hoist of my design in the garage now, and I know it would need some reconfiguring, but I am curious if anyone has done it.
MFNKLJ06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:06 AM   #206
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I put the same rack on my hard top but I have left off the cross bars to mount 1 1/4" Sq steel pipe that is 48" long on top to give plenty of room to haul my canoe. I have also made a carrier from two ATV racks from harbor freight to mount on top of the roof rack. I stood on top of the hard top loading stuff and there was no indication of undue stress to the hard top.

I also use a hand wench from Harbor freight to lift the top off with no indication of undue stress to the top. I used a side wind hand winch, cost $29 and used a couple of pulley wheels to facilitate the cable from the side of the shop to the rafters of the shop. works well. get the top off in 20 minutes by myself.

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Subs.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #207
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Here's a little more on that idea...

Works out really well, and if you buy the HF racks on sale you can built it for maybe $75, shown below on an XJ rack on my LJ:

Here's a whole thread on the rack project, which also shows how to do Highlift jack mounts, front light mounts, and a spare tire mount for it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...asket-1089244/

I use mine on the trail all the time, it's a great place to carry an extra spare and the jack, and in the photo below I've also got a roll-aboard size suitcase up there. You can just barely make it out in this photo, but there's also a bungee net on the rack to hold things like the suitcase in place; the net was less than $20 at Tractor Supply.

Better photo of the net when the rack was off the Jeep:

The only thing I would add to this is weld in a few extra inches to make it a little wider and longer. I did that with a 110 volt wire feed welder. worked so well my daughter "borrowed" it from me while she was home one weekend.

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Subs.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:17 AM   #208
Wagex
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i got one of these off ebay, made a couple aluminum cross bars to bolt it to the existing roof rails perfect length for a TJ. its the long version of a rage roof rack. people say it looks cheap but its strong enough i can grab ahold of the top rail and use that to pull myself up to the top of my jeep and stand/ walk around on top i think i paid just over a hundred for it.
rage.jpg rack.jpgrack2.jpg
Wagex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hardtop , lj , roof rack , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.