Junkyard Roof Rack - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Roof Rack

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #181
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Attachment 932882

go down to harbor freight and get two atv racks and bolt or weld them together.

Works fine and about $350 cheaper. I would add a 6 to 8" piece in the middle just to make it a wee bit longer.
Here's a little more on that idea...

Works out really well, and if you buy the HF racks on sale you can built it for maybe $75, shown below on an XJ rack on my LJ:

Here's a whole thread on the rack project, which also shows how to do Highlift jack mounts, front light mounts, and a spare tire mount for it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...asket-1089244/

I use mine on the trail all the time, it's a great place to carry an extra spare and the jack, and in the photo below I've also got a roll-aboard size suitcase up there. You can just barely make it out in this photo, but there's also a bungee net on the rack to hold things like the suitcase in place; the net was less than $20 at Tractor Supply.

Better photo of the net when the rack was off the Jeep:

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #182
oTTo97Sahara
2006 TJ Wrangler 

First time i have ever seen this post! You'll have to excuse the snow. My baby has been parked for an 06 TJ since the 97 needs too much work right now. I put this one on from a 92 Blazer about 6 years ago. The racks are the same from the old to the new Blazers and Jimmy's so find a newer one for it to be in better shape. My JY didnt have anything newer at the time so i sanded and painted it. Used it for 4 snowboards on a 12hour trip to the mountains and it worked great. 1 plate at each corner on the inside and 8 bolts that come from the inside and nuts on the top. Never got around to trimming up the bolts but it has worked great. Used it for camping a few bunch of times too. I cannot take the supports off of this one like the ones from the expolorer but i like the looks of the one from the blazer better anyways. The only downside is that it isnt quite wide enough to stretch outside the ribs of the hard top but with the factory rubber seal that i got with the rack from the JY and some black sealant it hasnt been an issue.

I really like the looks of those ATV racks! sometimes Princess Auto(Up in Canada) have luggage racks for that mount into your receiver hitch for $50. I bet with a little cutting it would work great for a back half rack.
rack.jpg

Last edited by oTTo97Sahara; 12-21-2013 at 02:04 PM..
oTTo97Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #183
JC_LJ

Thanks for the suggestion. I got a Conferr rack off Craigslist for cheap. They're pretty popular for land cruisers.
JC_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #184
JC_LJ

Picked up the explorer rack last week. The cross bars need paint, so that's next. Then should be time to mount.

How much does your cargo rack weigh, Jscherb? Mine weighs about 40. Lbs and is 4x5. I only plan on putting light items up there and not loading more than 150. Otherwise I'm getting the Kargo Master bars in the spring.
Unread 01-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #185
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_LJ View Post
How much does your cargo rack weigh, Jscherb? Mine weighs about 40. Lbs and is 4x5. I only plan on putting light items up there and not loading more than 150. Otherwise I'm getting the Kargo Master bars in the spring.
I haven't weighed it, but the shipping weight of each HF rack is 26 lbs; I didn't use the heaviest piece (the receiver tube) and also subtract the shipping carton and packing from that weight, so I'd guess it ended up in the same neighborhood as yours.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #186
JC_LJ

Here's the finished product. I used some Rustoleum bed liner spray on the bars. I got the Conferr rack (now called DiamondRax) from Craigslist for $150. It's pretty stout, and I'm looking forward to putting my light camping gear up top.

I was super scared to drill through the top, and I live in Wisconsin. The weather had been cold, snow, below freezing, or I didn't have enough daylight to get it done. I spent about 3 hours on a ladder in 30* weather to get it done. So far I'm pleased with the results!

Unread 01-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #187
Rican142
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is it bolted right to the hard top? Or do you have some kind of support system that runs to the sport bars?
Rican142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #188
JC_LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican142 View Post
Is it bolted right to the hard top? Or do you have some kind of support system that runs to the sport bars?
The cargo rack is mounted to the explorer cross bars and tracks
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #189
Rican142
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I meant the rack to the top
Rican142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #190
JC_LJ

Yes the explorer rack itself is bolted directly to the top.
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #191
horn34
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up cargo tracks/crossbars off a 99 Exploder for $20 this weekend. The length looks pretty good to me and with 5 mounting holes on each side, it's not going anywhere.

My question is for those that trimmed/shortened theirs....did you do it because it wouldn't fit or you didn't want it running the full length of the roof? I'm thinking the more coverage, the better, gives you more cargo placement options.

horn34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #192
RDaniel2405

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I set it up there before I cut it and just looked too long for me at full length. I cut mine because I thought it looked a little better, and knowing that I was not going to put too heavy of items op there. On page 10 there is a pic of my jeep with a bicycle in a box.
img_0588.2.jpg  
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #193
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
I picked up cargo tracks/crossbars off a 99 Exploder for $20 this weekend. The length looks pretty good to me and with 5 mounting holes on each side, it's not going anywhere.

My question is for those that trimmed/shortened theirs....did you do it because it wouldn't fit or you didn't want it running the full length of the roof? I'm thinking the more coverage, the better, gives you more cargo placement options.

i left mine the full length too but need to shorten them or fasten down the front i havent decided. i was thinking about shortening them because the roof isnt flat from front to back it has a slight curve and the rails are curved if they get fastened down but i guess that doesnt matter once there fastened on i was just thinking the rails would be putting too much force on the hardtop trying to go back to their normal flat form.
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #194
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

im taking one off an 02 ford explorer xlt this week. can anyone tell me what tools i need to bring and how long i should plan on being there to remove it? thanks
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 01:37 AM   #195
horn34
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller02TJ View Post
im taking one off an 02 ford explorer xlt this week. can anyone tell me what tools i need to bring and how long i should plan on being there to remove it? thanks
A cordless drill/screwdriver with a normal size philips bit. Takes 5 minutes to unscrew. If you do it with a regular screwdriver, maybe 10 minutes.
horn34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hardtop , lj , roof rack , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.