Junkyard Roof Rack - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Roof Rack

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #151
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

when i do this since i dont like how high the rails sit i am going to do what i did on my durango and get these rail mounts from defender roof racks and fab up a mount with u bolts to a cargo rack to get a clean flush looking rack. has anyone gotten these? http://www.defenderracks.com/products.asp?id=69

2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #152
jmmorgan82

I found out that 1/4"-20 stainless panhead bolts work perfectly. I got the rack chopped down 11", mocked it up, and drilled the holes for it. I'll get the hardware and get it mounted up tomorrow, and I still need to strip it and paint it whenever I feel like doing so (in no hurry).
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #153
jmmorgan82

Got her thrown on today, minus the paint. Works great and held my 12' Ocean Kayak perfectly.

jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #154
JeepinJake75
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Heading to the junk yard this weekend. great thread!!!!
[CENTER][B][FONT="Showcard Gothic"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #257 [/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkRed"]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #654[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

"Would you please put some pants on? I feel weird having to ask you twice." - Phil Wenneck
JeepinJake75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #155
Rican142
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok know it was prob already mentioned, but
1 how much weight does it hold
2 does it start flexing the hardtop with wait on it?
Rican142 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #156
toxikmo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mines fine , it holds 4 snowboards with out any problems
toxikmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #157
Rican142
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any vibrations from the top? My main thing is, I don't wanna e driving along, hit a bump, the roof flexes in and does a POP! When it does it, know what I mean?
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #158
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtech View Post
Question- Does anyone know what lays under those plasitc/fiberglass covers running side to side on LJ tops? I assume a metal strip, but have not tryied to find out yet, thought someone might already know. I am thinking of trying to hit one or both of those when I do my rack.

I have a Yakima Loadwarrior with after market XJ crossbars (like unistrut) I used on my XJ that I kept when I sold it. I had bike fork mounts on the outside of the rack. Would be handy to be able to reuse it and carry some reasonable loads or bikes up there when I have the hardtop on.

Now to find XJ rails.
Guys, this project never got done, but back on my mind now. Does anybody know what those cross pieces on LJ tops consist of?? I tried some heavy magnets, and no dice, so I assume it is not metal. If they are steel strips I will try to hit them plus a few more bolts, but not looking like it.

Thanks!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #159
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtech View Post
Guys, this project never got done, but back on my mind now. Does anybody know what those cross pieces on LJ tops consist of?? I tried some heavy magnets, and no dice, so I assume it is not metal. If they are steel strips I will try to hit them plus a few more bolts, but not looking like it.

Thanks!
I did this on my LJ then went to CO and back from the east coast carrying a Thule 700 pod and a cargo basket on Thule square bars & Tracker II towers attached to the long (68") XJ tracks. The pod was longer than the roof - with at least 200lbs or more on the racks - there was a good bit of heavy off-road banging when fully loaded which eventually led to a failure. The good news is that the weak point was the XJ tracks and I believe that that is preventable - which I'll address later.

Here is what I did ...

First, note that the hardtop is made up of several pieces that are bonded together. Look on the inside of the top. Along the left and the right edges of the top-horizontal section, there is a seam where the left/right vertical piece joins the top-horizontal piece. The side piece comes up and bends in with about 3/4"-1" of flat, horizontal section that is bonded to the top-horizontal piece. (The top-horizontal piece continues on the outside, curves down, and is then bonded to the side piece again, forming a longitudinal box channel - pretty strong) That horizontal, flat-bonded section on the side piece is where I located the tracks. That way they are right along the box channel, on a double thickness, and the fasteners actually hold the seam/bond together. It also give you almost the exact same spacing as on an XJ if you are using the factory cross-bars.

I used 1/4" (by 1" IIRC) Stainless, Hex-Socket-Head Cap screws with Nylock nuts inside. I backed the fasteners on the inside of the top with a full length of 3/4" x 3/16" steel.
I cut the steel to length then taped it the XJ track to mark the hole positions and then drilled the 1/4" clearance holes in the steel. The tricky part was that the steel had to be relieved where the 2 lateral cross pieces overlap the mounting area (to about 1/16" thickness - thinner stock would have to be fully cut out around it). Fortunately I have access to a milling machine so it was not hard - it doesn't need to be too precise so it could be done carefully with a grinder.
I then taped/clamped the steel to the inside of the roof and drilled up using the steel backer as a template. Notes: Take the top off to do this. The top is a fiber reinforced structure wear the proper safety equipment. Use a GOOD drill bit and go easy on the pressure to minimize breakout damage as you go through. I did not try it, but a brad-point bit might be a good choice to help minimize breakout - experimentation required.

The failure mode that I had was that the heads of the mounting screws pulled through the bottom of the XJ tracks. The problem is that the access holes on the top of the tracks for the mounting screws are not big enough for (significantly) larger screw heads or washers to be inserted to better spread the load. As I see it, two possibilities exist to get around this. I need to either fish washers into place at each hole from the ends (probably using glue or caulk to hold them in place for assembly) or I will fabricate a full length backer strip using 1/8" aluminum and insert it into the track. I will probably do the backer strip since it offers more strength IMO.

I've seen no evidence of damage to the top itself, despite the banging it took with the free floating track at the back - enough banging to crush the XJ track down about an 1/8" where the cross-bar foot was mounted.
2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
-JD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #160
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

put a ford rack on and then welded two atv carriers from harbor fraieght together to get it done.
dsc01163.jpg

dsc01182.jpg

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Sub's.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #161
Rican142
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why do u have a jk sticker on ur tj...(traitor)
Unread 11-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #162
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Fabbed the defender roof rack mounts I had on my durango to fit the explorer roof rack. Just had to bend two pieces on angle iron per mount and cut down to a total 1" width to slode into the rails. I like this much better than the roof rails. Still need to paint and get some stainless steel hardware but ima do that this summer when I paint the hardtop black

2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #163
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican142 View Post
Why do u have a jk sticker on ur tj...(traitor)
can't spell down here in oregon,

Stands for

Southern Oregon Jeep Kulb

SOJK

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Sub's.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #164
Rican142
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Suuure it is ;P lol
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #165
horn34
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know of an easily sourced salvage roof rack that will fit a 2001 TJ without cutting? I don't mind cutting, but I'd rather grab one off a minivan/subaru/whatever that fits with nod mods. None of the salvage yards in Austin that I know of let you pick and pull. You have to call and tell them the year/model/make of the part you want.
horn34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardtop , lj , roof rack , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.