After pricing the roof racks at all the websites and catalogs and deciding they're all a ripoff, I took a drive to see what the local pick-n-pull had to offer. I found a mid 90's Ford Explorer Sport with a roof rack system in good shape minus about 10 years of sun and dust damage. It has two rails, two adjustable cross bars, and two adjustable rings for tie-downs. Simply removed a few screws to take it off, gave the guy $25 for it and I had a new roof rack!
It was about 11" too long to fit on my hard top, so I taped off what I didn't want and used my Dremel to cut the ends of both the rails and the plastic pieces that go under the rails. (Cutting one end would have left me without a screw hole near the end, so if you're doing this make sure you cut the end that has a hole around 12" in) Lightly sanded all the metal pieces and gave them 2 coats of Krylon black.
The next day when the paint was dry I put the rack together, made sure it was square, and marked off the hard top for the first 2 holes. My top was still on its storage cart which made it much easier to work on. I loosely screwed the "top" screws in then marked the rest. I went with a total of eight screws, four per rail. As far as hardware to mount it, I used the screws that came with it as the heads fit in the rails nicely. They were metric, 6mm, and I bought 8 nuts (with the nylon inside), 8 fender washers, 8 lock washers and 16 rubber washers to fit them. I used some silicone on each of the holes to keep the water out, then put one rubber washer between the rail and the top, and another between the screw head and the rail.
All in all I'm very pleased with the end product. It looks great, will accept a snowboard rack as well as other roof racks, and it only cost me about $40. $25 for the rack, $6 for paint, and less than $10 for all the hardware.
the pieces as they arrived
one of the tie down rings and a rail in their "before" condition
rails taped to be cut
rails painted up
all the other hardware ready to be installed
the rack mounted to the top, before the top went on
the finished product!