Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Junk in your trunk TJ storage option

946 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  j_bydesign 
#1 ·
it was supposed to be in your trunk... sorry

so once again I was wondering about the garage and found a 20mm mortar can... I have used these as consoles in the past... but found that these fit perfectly on the inside of the tailgate... I thru bolted it using the existing holes from the OEM spare tire mount... with a couple fender washers to stand the can of the tailgate to accommodate the lid. perfect dry storage for trail essentials... (I do not run a back seat)

See less See more
#2 ·
For us stock spare tire tailgate holder guys, extra weight on the hinges is not good.. Same purpose could be done with it bolted in the bed also.. Cause I can see something falling down in the back KINDA LIKE THAT STRAP you have setting on the bed... And when I slam the trunk it wedges up on the ammo can and bends it or makes door not able to open...

#3 ·
For us stock spare tire tailgate holder guys, extra weight on the hinges is not good.. Same purpose could be done with it bolted in the bed also.. Cause I can see something falling down in the back KINDA LIKE THAT STRAP you have setting on the bed... And when I slam the truck it wedges up on the ammo can and bends it or makes door not able to open...
good point...

that strap gets bungeed to the cage when I run... I do not store tons of weight in it... and beside a cooler there usually is not much in my bed...

#4 ·
This is pretty cool. Using the existing holes is pretty clean vice drilling into the tailgate.

Nothing for nothing though for the guys looking to do the same if the can says 20mm that's bullets not mortar rounds. Just in case guys are searching Google.

20mil is typically used in aircraft guns like those found on the f16 / f18 or even the AH1 cobra. So if you live anywhere near an airbase they should be really easy to come by.

#5 ·
This is pretty cool. Using the existing holes is pretty clean vice drilling into the tailgate.

Nothing for nothing though for the guys looking to do the same if the can says 20mm that's bullets not mortar rounds. Just in case guys are searching Google.

20mil is typically used in aircraft guns like those found on the f16 / f18 or even the AH1 cobra. So if you live anywhere near an airbase they should be really easy to come by.
you are correct sir... mine actually stored munitions fuses...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.