Jump start = Volt Meter spikes while driving then wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jump start = Volt Meter spikes while driving then wont start

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
AWILD

Jump start = Volt Meter spikes while driving then wont start

Just looking to see what I'm up against here. My guess is alternator? Here's the details:

Got in an accident the other week and had to jump it afterwards to get it to start. Drove it home and during the drive the volt meter spiked to 19V+. Ended up only doing that for about 5 mins and went away. Shut the car off after about an hour drive home and it immediately had nothing when I turned the key. No crank, no beeps, no lights, nothing. Put a tester on the battery and it showed 12-13V. Took battery out and had autozone test it, good battery.

Alternator?

(ps this is a 2000 TJ 2.5L manual trans)

Unread 02-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The most common problem for the symptom you described is a poor connection at the battery. The cables degrade over time and if your vehicle has some age on it (not to mention white/green mung junk that grows on the battery cable connectors), it's time to replace them.

I've seen a lot of TJs fixed by doing this. Of course, it could be another problem, but I would start with a careful inspection and proceed as appropriate. Don't forget the negative cable is just as important as is the positive.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
AWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
The most common problem for the symptom you described is a poor connection at the battery. The cables degrade over time and if your vehicle has some age on it (not to mention white/green mung junk that grows on the battery cable connectors), it's time to replace them.

I've seen a lot of TJs fixed by doing this. Of course, it could be another problem, but I would start with a careful inspection and proceed as appropriate. Don't forget the negative cable is just as important as is the positive.
Yeah I'm going to take it to my shop today and check all the terminals (which appear ok at the battery end), check them at the alternator side, put the voltmeter on the alternator and see what happens from there.
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
dlporter
2011 JK Wrangler 

Keep in mind that cables can sometimes degrade inside the insulation. Everything will look good upon visual inspection, but the cables are really shot.
dlporter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

We had a lot of Humvees in Iraq do this. Ordinarily there was a huge spike, and it would fry the lines. The battery would usually be fine afterwords. The alternator's voltage regulator would twist from it's position and cause the power surge. But an alternator on a jeep is much different.
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
AWILD

FIXED - We ended up taking the starter, battery, and alternator to autozone to get tested. All tested fine. Signs then pointed to a bad connection somewhere. So we wire brushed all the connections and wires for the starter, battery, and alternator. Fired right up (with a belt squeal lol...fixed that too witha 15mm socket)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.