Johnny Joints vs. Metal Cloak Duroflex Joint - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Johnny Joints vs. Metal Cloak Duroflex Joint

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #556
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmbnt42 View Post
regardless, this isn't even a concern.
ftfy

geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #557
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've got them. I won't have time to install until Thursday or so. It's not exactly a quick process.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #558
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is it possible to mount a shock to a control arm with the MC joints at both ends? I know that it is not if you run JJs on both ends due to the design of the JJ. The control arm would just flop around.

So would the control arm with the MC joints not flop around with a shock mounted to it?
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #559
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I've got them. I won't have time to install until Thursday or so. It's not exactly a quick process.
Well, I bit the bullit, ordered up a set of MC SA's............will probably run them just till the end of summer though, then resell them....hopefully my LA kit by then is complete.

Going to be running ORI STX 12" struts front and back as well. Going to be pulling the trigger on those next week.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #560
MotoSoul
Just add Dump Truck

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
Is it possible to mount a shock to a control arm with the MC joints at both ends? I know that it is not if you run JJs on both ends due to the design of the JJ. The control arm would just flop around.

So would the control arm with the MC joints not flop around with a shock mounted to it?
This has me so confused.
I like the arms, they are a good solution, but they really aren't worth the effort for the average person and you already see the BS that goes on over bushings VS JJ's, the crap that would go on over J arms would be epic.
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #561
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Well, I bit the bullit, ordered up a set of MC SA's............will probably run them just till the end of summer though, then resell them....hopefully my LA kit by then is complete.

Going to be running ORI STX 12" struts front and back as well. Going to be pulling the trigger on those next week.
How do you plan on fitting ORI's in the rear? Hell, even the front will be an exercise. I feel like you're doing things without knowing how to do them and are not thinking about the details.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #562
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped View Post
how do you plan on fitting ori's in the rear? Hell, even the front will be an exercise. I feel like you're talking about doing things without knowing how to do them and are not thinking about the details.
fify
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #563
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How do you plan on fitting ORI's in the rear? Hell, even the front will be an exercise. I feel like you're doing things without knowing how to do them and are not thinking about the details.
Your kidding right? Outboarding them. Plenty of room. I run MT CLassic III 15x7" rims with roughly 3.5" BSing on 10.5" wide tires........will be using these brackets from TMR: http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1093 and these: http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1094 Will be able to cut off the spring perches/shock buckets front/rear and F/R axle shock mounts. Weld on tabs to the top of the axle tubes for the bottom strut mounts. Tons of room to do this.

When you dont have to run seperate springs, shocks, bumpstops, and the large pads/buckets required you gain ALOT of mounting options.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #564
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

easy guys, GBMNT is never wrong
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #565
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your kidding right?
Not one bit. 2" shock bodies fit fine with the stock axles and 3-4" BS. The ORI's are 3.25" in diameter, that's massive. They wont' fit as easy as you're thinking. When you get around to articulating the axle, you'll see that. You can set that tower back into the frame rail as far as you can and you'll still have to balance the body hitting the frame at full droop and the tire at full tuck. I'm not saying it's not doable but even with little backspacing and frenched towers, you'll have a tough time finding a route outside of running them through the tub. If you can do that, you'll be the first I've seen. And that's not not even to mention the fact that I highly doubt you need them.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #566
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed View Post
easy guys, GBMNT is never wrong
Rarely.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #567
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not one bit. 2" shock bodies fit fine with the stock axles and 3-4" BS. The ORI's are 3.25" in diameter, that's massive. They wont' fit as easy as you're thinking. When you get around to articulating the axle, you'll see that. You can set that tower back into the frame rail as far as you can and you'll still have to balance the body hitting the frame at full droop and the tire at full tuck. I'm not saying it's not doable but even with little backspacing and frenched towers, you'll have a tough time finding a route outside of running them through the tub. And that's not not even to mention the fact that I highly doubt you need them.
Yes I am aware of their diameter. Its basically no different than fitting a coilover. Doing a quick mockup, not worried about full tuck #'s or tire clearance. Full droop looks like there won't be much issue either.

My only debate is going with a 10" or 12" travel setup. Ill be starting off on SA's but will be running a LA setup by next fall. The front's will be a snap. And actually save me some weight in the process. The rear's won't be too difficult either. Quite a few people have outboarded the rears without clearance issues.

As for whether or not I need them. They simplify everything. No need for bumpstops, seperate coil/shock mounts.........which means uptravel concerns are virtually elimiated due to things like coil bind height, mount constraints etc......since new mounts are being installed, it allows me to maxmise all the available uptravel necessary. It also now solves the front tracbar hitting the diff cover on uptravel too, since I can now locate that in double sheer alignment up tighter to the OUTSIDE of the frame rail, instead of down lower on the inside. See where Im going with this?

Cost also,....these also end up being a cheaper solution. No bumpstop kit, sperate coils, shocks needed. And these I think have a slightly smaller OD vs. the 6paks............those were in reality going to run me $700 a corner including bumpstop kit. These Im under $600.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #568
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
:thumbs up:
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #569
ftgiles

Quote:
Rarely.
It's not the things you don't know that will get you into the most trouble in life. It's the things you know for sure that end up being wrong. Like your skinny tire theories and slipping the clutch is the same as a torque converter.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #570
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

As for whether or not I need them. They simplify everything. No need for bumpstops, seperate coil/shock mounts.........which means uptravel concerns are virtually elimiated due to things like coil bind height, mount constraints etc......since new mounts are being installed, it allows me to maxmise all the available uptravel necessary. It also now solves the front tracbar hitting the diff cover on uptravel too, since I can now locate that in double sheer alignment up tighter to the OUTSIDE of the frame rail, instead of down lower on the inside. See where Im going with this?

Cost also,....these also end up being a cheaper solution. No bumpstop kit, sperate coils, shocks needed. And these I think have a slightly smaller OD vs. the 6paks............those were in reality going to run me $700 a corner including bumpstop kit. These Im under $600.
Believe me, I've covered all of those issues and more through my thought process and I still run shocks and coils and even built a frame around them....I discovered ORI's back in 09. They simplify some things but complicate others, as you'll see. They won't fit as easily as you are thinking, I promise. If you want to run them, your first concern should be your axle width.

Anyway, that's completely OT from this thread. My bad.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.