Johnny Joints vs. Metal Cloak Duroflex Joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Johnny Joints vs. Metal Cloak Duroflex Joint

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Johnny Joints vs. Metal Cloak Duroflex Joint

Any trail proven advantage to metal cloaks joint. I invested my control arm upgrades before MC Duroflex came out.(are they even out with a tj application) I bought Rokmen arms and am happy so far. Besides recentering the joint what do you guys see the advantages as...

inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just watched their vid:

They seem like a good thing, but until someone buys them and abuses them we won't really know.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

too new to know the weak links on them or if they have any real benfits over the currie joint. right now I'm not trading in the curries or ruff stuff rod ends for them.
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice vid. I see the center tearing out of the rubber, or grit getting in between the arm and the rubber making a greasy sandpaper and the joint getting sloppy fast. Might work good for a bit but I don't see the centers lasting long. At least they are easy to rebuild!
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

From Metal Cloaks own video dual MC bushings will allow a control arm to flex/twist 34 degrees. Currie Johnny Joints flex 30 degrees each joint, so dual JJ's would allow a control arm to flex/twist 60 degrees.

Also it looked really easy to install the c-clip into the MC joint, leading me to assume that they won't have very good side load resistance.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71064

Cool idea but it doesn't take much of an imagination to realize why JJ's are better.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well after about 14 pages of that thread I lost interest. They do not seem to be competing with the JJ. They seem to be competing with Clevite. Nuff said.
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc View Post
Well after about 14 pages of that thread I lost interest. They do not seem to be competing with the JJ. They seem to be competing with Clevite. Nuff said.
The video shows them competing with both. Just saying.

I don't have a lot of faith in that rubber not breaking away. It'll be interesting to see what happens in real world abuse, over time. Seems like a neat idea.

I tried reading the thread Imped linked, but I got lost/bored too. I'm not sure if there was something posted in there by the OP that said whether he liked them or not.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 04-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Currie JJ's work well, are durable, cheap to repair. What more does one need?
I see no reason to try and invest in a better mouse trap, when the proven stuff works extremely well and is a proven durable part. Just saying

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Currie JJ's work well, are durable, cheap to repair. What more does one need?
I see no reason to try and invest in a better mouse trap, when the proven stuff works extremely well and is a proven durable part. Just saying
I know I really loved the way my Rubi performed last time out, which was the first time out with the Rokmen CA's with JJ's.

Unread 04-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
SolarOne
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see how they last in the long run for a DD it's hard to beat the low maintenance, but for weekend warriors and extreme rigs ????
.(o))--(o))_(o))--(o))
SolarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If they hold up i would consider them an upgrade from JJs, unfortunatly I don't see that happening. That is quite the duty cycle for rubber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
If they hold up i would consider them an upgrade from JJs, unfortunatly I don't see that happening. That is quite the duty cycle for rubber.
In what way would you consider them an upgrade to a Johnny Joint and why?

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Great thread... thanks for posting the question...

For our application, we are not trying to compete with the JJ. What we've found after over 10,000 miles of testing on our Red Rubi JK (Cloak 3) on both trails like the Rubicon, Death Valley, Ocotillo Wells, all over Moab, and thousands of Freeway miles is a Jeep that still rides like its brand new, with no visible signs of wear on the joints.

Our target market is the guy who wants to have a high quality ride in his DD while being able to flex with the best of them on the trail.

Quote:
Nice vid. I see the center tearing out of the rubber, or grit getting in between the arm and the rubber making a greasy sandpaper and the joint getting sloppy fast. Might work good for a bit but I don't see the centers lasting long. At least they are easy to rebuild!
Thanks for the kudos on the vid. As for the center tearing out, our own testing took 5000 lbs to break the center from the rubber. And even then it broke the rubber, not the vulcanization of the steel to the natural rubber.

So far our customer base is liking the ride-ability of our overall suspension system with the Dual Rate Coils and the Duroflex joints over some other suspension options.

However, we recognize the preference that many have and the dominance that the JJ has seen in the marketplace. We hope we can continue to grow and provide more and more feedback on the various rigs that have been built with the Duroflex.

Feel free to pepper me with any questions you may have.

BTW, that thread mentioned before is definitely a primer on suspensions in general if you can get through all the craziness. (and yes the OP does provide feedback on his MC experience.)

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71064

Cool idea but it doesn't take much of an imagination to realize why JJ's are better.
dude really? Stop sucking Curries d***. Whats wrong with somebody running the new metalcloack joints?

Are you always gonna compare everything to JJ? Are you gonna start telling me that heims are bad to run?

I started out with bushings on my XJ arms and they worked fine. Not everybody needs JJ's, so stop making it sound like if you dont run JJ's then you shouldnt ever wheel your Jeep, or that your jeep is far less capable.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.