Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Johnny Joint lubrication

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  btn 
#1 ·
I know I've seen it before here, but I am trying to remember what the best lubricant to use is for Currie joints. I think it was anti seize, but I don't remember what kind.

I am planning to disassemble the joints to lube them. It's winter race prep time, and I haven't touched the joints in two seasons. I want to make sure everything is 100% next season.

#8 ·
We are still trying different lubes including the Lucas Red and Tacky #2 and it isn't nearly as good as the Redline CV-2 with red moly. I don't recommend the Red Moly for the inexperienced though. It reduces the friction and frees up the joint so much you may think you ruined it and need to rebuild it because of how easy it moves.

I don't know if it is the best, it is just the best of the 10 or so we've tested.

http://www.idparts.com/redline-cv-synthetic-grease-p-2365.html?gclid=CLy6rdOO-88CFYGUfgodcBcB9g

The red and tacky #2 is good stuff and we use it for a lot of stuff, just not for the JJ's.

#21 ·
Got them all taken care of. The redline grease is definitely super slippery, and makes the joints really move well. Ended up replacing two joints, and the races in two more. One the bolt seized in the ball, and the other had a cracked ball from where I hit a tree last year.

#22 ·
I've always wondered this about JJ lubing: Why not have the poly races molded with grooves on the inside so that grease can pass through easily and get spread around inside like a metal ball joint? To experiment, I carved some grooves in the races on the JJ side of my Currie track bar and it takes grease more easily allowing it to pass through the grooves. Whether the grease is actually spreading evenly over the wear surface, I don't know yet.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.