The JK suspension on a TJ Experiment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The JK suspension on a TJ Experiment

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
releaseme3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The JK suspension on a TJ Experiment

My friend got a brand new 4 door JK and immediately put a lift on it. Im gonna try swapping his stock JK suspension on my TJ. Ive read many posts about the pros and cons etc.... My only question, to this point at least, is when I put the rear coils on (which need to be altered to seat in properly) can I use spring retainer clips instead of trying to alter the end of the coil?

Thanks for the input.

releaseme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

No you can not.. The size of the diameter of the hole needs to be opened up. Torch and a few seconds and bent out easy. I used the bumpstop cup as a wedge to open it perfect.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
releaseme3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If that's the case, tell me if this scenario will work. My intention is to have a a brand new suspension and get a couple inches of lift. For the rear......I will use my the jk springs and the new jk shocks. For the front, I will swap in the new jk springs and shocks, as well as adding the 2 inch budget boost. Thanks for the input.
Unread 05-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you're using the shocks, then take careful measurements on the compressed lengths. In a recent thread, I read that one end (not sure if front or rear) needs 2" bumpstop extension when used on a TJ.
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
releaseme3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, the rear needs bump stop extensions, I believe.
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
releaseme3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just hope that my vehicle is level after putting it on.
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
No you can not.. The size of the diameter of the hole needs to be opened up. Torch and a few seconds and bent out easy. I used the bumpstop cup as a wedge to open it perfect.
Eesh. Never a fan of heating and beating spring steel. That seems like a good way to introduce catastrophic failure into your rear suspension.
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream

2009 JK Wrangler 

You'll also want a bar pin eliminator kit for the front shocks

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJeeper View Post
Eesh. Never a fan of heating and beating spring steel. That seems like a good way to introduce catastrophic failure into your rear suspension.
Well fan or not, its done every day. And I am not talking about the middle of the spring. The very end, where it does nothing but hold still and has zero movement.
Just sets in the spring seat... NEVER seen one break and I been racing for over 20 years and those fools heat them all time..
Unread 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
releaseme3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mtnbiker, can you explain in further detail why I would need that elimimator kit? Thanks.
Unread 05-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Jeepsr4me

You dont need it.. It just saves you the time to press out the bar pin as the JK shock does not have one.. Easy to do and free to press out that pin and install..
Unread 05-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

so to reiterate.

you want to add a JK coil to the front and a 2" spacer coil, and in the rear you will just add a spacer, or you want to use either the JK or TJ spring in the rear?

sounds like a lot of work to make your jeep ride like crap.

i did a 2" BB on a TJ once and ran JK shocks. it rode rougher than a YJ with a rough country lift installed. JK shocks are way to stiff for a TJ. they do bolt right up however.

according to your plan as well it sounds like you'll end up with track bar issues up front too.

to be honest, unless your jeep is a hunk of garbage i wouldn't bother, and just get a real lift thats built to the jeeps specifications.

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me
You dont need it.. It just saves you the time to press out the bar pin as the JK shock does not have one.. Easy to do and free to press out that pin and install..
Correct; it's not needed. I just suggested it because when my buddy and I did his shock swap, we did it at his apartment with minimal tools. We didn't have the resources with us to press the pin out then press back in so he just bought the kit. It cost him about $25-$30 I think.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 05-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
releaseme3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Johnny...say it aint so. Rougher than a yj??? I was hoping the new springs and shocks would help the ride. I've read other posts where people said that ride quality improved when putting the jk suspension on a tj. Mine isn't junk, just hoping to get a better ride. I was planning on swapping everything with the exception of the rear coils which need to be heated up and modified a bit. If I were to get the jk rear coils in I wouldn't need the spacers based on what I have read in other posts about getting a couple inches of lift just out of the jk coils. What are other people's opinions about ride quality with the jk suspension on a tj? Again, the jk parts are brand new and came off a 4 door unlimited. I have an 04 sport with the 4.0, with heavier bumpers on both the front and rear.
Unread 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
Jeepsr4me

I was 1 of the 1st people to do this,.,. And it rides SUPER smooth,, Use the JK springs in rear and BB+JK springs up front and you will have a very smooth ride...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.