Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jk rear axle swap into a tj.

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Imped 
#1 ·
Hello all I saw a few threads of people doing jk Dana 44 swapped into a TJ. I currently run 35" tires on a 3 in suspension lift. I have been looking into a tj Dana 44 but there so expensive. Recently I saw some people selling jk Dana 44 axles for real cheap like a few hindered bucks. Ive been trying to get a list together of what I'll need.
Here's what I have so far:
The axle of course. (Only looking to swap the rear.)
A truss to make it fit. I was looking into a Artec truss for about $350.
Wheel spacers or new wheels
Yoke adapter for my driveshaft.
I don't have much just looking for a build sheet and where to get everything I need. If there's a better truss out there then please let me know. And if I shouldn't do the jk 44 and stick to looking for a tj 44 convince me.
Will I need new brake cables? I heard something about U joints are weak. Any upgrades? Anything else I need to know? Thank you

#2 ·
If you are only swapping the rear why are you worried about u-joints? Are you prepared to run different bolt pattern wheels in the rear than in the front? Are you OK with the extra axle width in the rear only? Once you add all that stuff up and either your time or a shop's time is it really cheaper than a bolt-in TJ 44? I know around here non-Rubicon D44s tend to trade around 800.

There are good threads where people have done JK axle swaps. You should be able to find them by searching. Plenty of good reading. Or it will be discussed in some people's build threads. For example, IIRC Imped swapped in JK axles and he has a good build thread.

#3 ·
The non rubi in my area is only $200 Im probably just going to go with wheel spacers and I thought I read something about the u joints. I guess I was reading a front end swap. I'm perfectly fine with a little extra width in the rear I don't quite know if it's worth it that's why I'm trying to find out if it is.

#4 ·
Non-Rubicon D44 for $200? That doesn't sound right. Are you thinking of D35s? I wouldn't pay 200 for one of them, but I'm sure they get listed for that. Non-Rubicon TJs did come with D44 rears as an option (without the air lockers) though and if you can get those for 200 I'll buy as many of them as you can get and pay you 300 a piece. Easy money for you. Rubicon D44s tend to trade as a front and rear pair in the 2500-3000 area.

JK ujoints actually are stronger than TJ ujoints, although the heavier vehicle and wider axles creates a lot of extra leverage on them. Not something you need to worry about though if only dealing with the rear axle.

The extra width on the axle is about 2.5" per side I believe. That's not bad and in fact can be good. Many people do freak out about a mismatch of that much front to rear though. But if you are going to add adaptors to turn the bolt pattern back to 5x4.5 then you'll be 3.5-4.0" wider per side. That's getting pretty wide. Your tires are going to be almost completely out from under your flares in the rear (and still tucked in the front). Do you have tire coverage laws where you live?

I've never looked at the Arctec truss. I assume it provides for axle side upper control arm (and maybe trackbar mounts). What about axle side lower? Does it include them? What about the lower spring perches? Anything the truss doesn't provide you have to clean off and move.

People do this swap and if you decide to its your choice, but I'm just trying to point out some of the things that it sounds like you haven't fully considered.

#6 ·
I'm trying to swap a no rubi d44 out of a jk into my 97 tj Yes it's a Dana 44 no rubi it's out of a 2015 Sahara the Artec truss Includes all the brackets necessary for a complete axle swap including upper and lower control arm mounts, shock mounts, anti-sway bar mounts, trackbar mount, and coil spring mounts. (that's taken straight from website)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.