jk axles in a tj? can it be done? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jk axles in a tj? can it be done?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
pineda22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

jk axles in a tj? can it be done?

hey everyone i recently was offered the dana 44 f/r axels out of a 2012 4door jk . since i currently have the dana35 and dana 30 in my tj and have been saving up for a8.8 swap my question is would it be more cost effective to put the jk axels in my tj instead? has anyone done this?
thanks

If it dont fit.....force it. if it breaks.....it needed replaced anyway
pineda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
BGClemson

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineda22 View Post
hey everyone i recently was offered the dana 44 f/r axels out of a 2012 4door jk . since i currently have the dana35 and dana 30 in my tj and have been saving up for a8.8 swap my question is would it be more cost effective to put the jk axels in my tj instead? has anyone done this?
thanks
Were you planning on building the 8.8 yourself or buying one assembled? If you were planning on doing the cutting/grinding/welding of brackets on the 8.8, then it would be the same thing on the jk 44's. I know that the jk axles are pretty good, and its been done. They are not a direct bolt in though. Cost effectiveness depends on how much you spend on the jk axles, if it is a good deal, go for it.
BGClemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check out Hendrix builds
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

cost effectiveness depends on what you get them for and whats inside them

any axle can be put in any vehicle, these are not bolt in, will require fab work and new wheels or adapter spacers, plus they are wider

they are rather beefy compared to a tj 44 or an 8.8
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very possible, many people have done it. If you have a high level of knowledge in relation to steering and suspension, you'll be golden. If not, I'd suggest another route.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to threadjack but I am in a similar boat. I have a buddy who has a Dana 44 from a Cherokee, obviously it will have to be changed from a leaf to spring configuration but is it worth it? Haven't really seen any options for bracketry.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
EugeneTheTJ
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS...

2003 TJ Wrangler 

They're great axles and IMO the best choice if you are planning on 37s
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Sorry to threadjack but I am in a similar boat. I have a buddy who has a Dana 44 from a Cherokee, obviously it will have to be changed from a leaf to spring configuration but is it worth it? Haven't really seen any options for bracketry.
I wouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
pineda22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Check out Hendrix builds
website or here on the forum?
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
pineda22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiredJK View Post
Were you planning on building the 8.8 yourself or buying one assembled? If you were planning on doing the cutting/grinding/welding of brackets on the 8.8, then it would be the same thing on the jk 44's. I know that the jk axles are pretty good, and its been done. They are not a direct bolt in though. Cost effectiveness depends on how much you spend on the jk axles, if it is a good deal, go for it.
my plan was to get a junkyard 8.8 (hopefully with low miles 4.10 gears and LSD) install new seals bearings ect and get the artec 8.8 swap kit with truss and truss bridge to elimate the axel tubes spinning. doing all the work myself here in the shop. for now im just running 33s but have plans to go to 37s or 38s in the distant future
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
website or here on the forum?
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
my plan was to get a junkyard 8.8 (hopefully with low miles 4.10 gears and LSD) install new seals bearings ect and get the artec 8.8 swap kit with truss and truss bridge to elimate the axel tubes spinning. doing all the work myself here in the shop. for now im just running 33s but have plans to go to 37s or 38s in the distant future
Unless you're running a lot of HP either axle will do just fine with 37's or 38's, the 8.8 is behind plenty of V8's with large tires.

The trick is - if you buy the 8.8 what are you going to do for a front. 37's (and really 35's) are right there on the absolute edge for a D30, but moving to a D44 isn't much better and is right on the edge for the 38's. I'm hoping somebody will chime in on the strength of the JK D30, if it can/will handle that size tire then I say go for it. You can buy brackets and have somebody weld them on. You'll have to buy new rims or get adapters, but with all the lifted JK's in Boise you can probably find some cheap take-offs.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
pineda22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
Unless you're running a lot of HP either axle will do just fine with 37's or 38's, the 8.8 is behind plenty of V8's with large tires.

The trick is - if you buy the 8.8 what are you going to do for a front. 37's (and really 35's) are right there on the absolute edge for a D30, but moving to a D44 isn't much better and is right on the edge for the 38's. I'm hoping somebody will chime in on the strength of the JK D30, if it can/will handle that size tire then I say go for it. You can buy brackets and have somebody weld them on. You'll have to buy new rims or get adapters, but with all the lifted JK's in Boise you can probably find some cheap take-offs.
im already running the same bolt pattern as a jk so im not worried about wheels and tires. i can pickup bolth axels for $1500 and thought it might be cheaper than doing the 8.8 and HP30 for the front since i was going to pick one up at a junkyard with 4.10s and a LSD ($150) get the artec 8.8 swap with truss and truss bridge($350)
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
im already running the same bolt pattern as a jk so im not worried about wheels and tires. i can pickup bolth axels for $1500 and thought it might be cheaper than doing the 8.8 and HP30 for the front since i was going to pick one up at a junkyard with 4.10s and a LSD ($150) get the artec 8.8 swap with truss and truss bridge($350)
That's right, I forgot about the rim/tire combo you're running now. In that case the JK axles would be my choice. They're a little wider and you won't have to run spacers, the rear is probably better than the 8.8 (that 8.8 is a pretty tough axle and is very underrated by some people but there are tons of guys running V8's and big meats with those things) but the front is definitely better than a regular D30.

I've seen bracket kits from $250 for the rear and around $400 for the front. Add the cost of welding and you could probably get the whole thing done for under $2500. From there you could add lockers and gears as time goes by and then truss, upgrade axles, etc. when needed. With an HPD30 you'd have to upgrade shafts, so you might as well go 30spl up front but then you'd have to buy a locker so you might as well re-gear since you want to run big tires, but then you have to regear the rear, but then you should just lock it while you're in there - it's a perpetual ladder! The 8.8 and D30 could easily add up to $2000-$2500 and you'd still have an inferior front axle.

Buy the JK axles and don't look back...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just do it or send me a link to where I can buy them from. Lots of work involved either way you go. If you go with the 8.8 and a hp30 it's a little easier swap. JK axles in a TJ require a little more patience especially in the front with the steering.

Are the both JK44s?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.