Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise. Includes Video - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise. Includes Video

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
jbmolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
It seemed to me that is was worse when turning. Pull the cover off and look at the spider gears..I'd almost bet one is bad.
X2,

Check the spider gears. I had this problem on the D30 in my XJ last year. I grenaded the spider gears in it. it got so bad that it would lock one side and make the jeep jerk to the left or right depending on which axle it locked up.

Getting ready to start my project. I hate to say it but due to limited time with the new job and limited space at the new rental house I will have to pay for most of my work to be done this time. This build is gonna suck!
Until it's done!
jbmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

try putting it up on jacks, ****with proper safety precautions of course****, run it and see if it still makes the noise, if its quiet then start looking at the suspension as mentioned
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I will post a follow up video in the next few minutes (once youtube finishes uploading) with the jeep up on jacks (cinderblocks because someone stole my jacks ) and its funny, the jeep seems to sound fine when its running and even if i give it a little gas. but as soon as i hit the brakes it starts jumping, however as you can see in the first video this is not the case when i am driving normally.
JustinJeep40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Last edited by JustinJeep40; 12-07-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Unread 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like shocks or maybe Track bar

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
NE4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What was the diff. oil like when you pulled the cover? If the diff. is the problem the oil should have had at least very fine metal fillings in it making the oil sparkle or it could have chunks of metal in it. My guess is that you either have a trashed diff. (spider gears) or possibly a broken axle shaft. The reason that applying the brakes makes the noise could be because one brake either left or right will contact first or harder than the other making the spider gears turn as if you are cornering slightly. I don't know if you understand how a diff. works, but my bet is the diff. is bad, but that is major work so be sure to check everything else that is easy to fix first.
NE4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE4X4
What was the diff. oil like when you pulled the cover? If the diff. is the problem the oil should have had at least very fine metal fillings in it making the oil sparkle or it could have chunks of metal in it. My guess is that you either have a trashed diff. (spider gears) or possibly a broken axle shaft. The reason that applying the brakes makes the noise could be because one brake either left or right will contact first or harder than the other making the spider gears turn as if you are cornering slightly. I don't know if you understand how a diff. works, but my bet is the diff. is bad, but that is major work so be sure to check everything else that is easy to fix first.
I haven't pulled the cover off the diff yet but if I did trash the differential ill probably just go to a junk yard and pull the whole differential off of a TJ that'll probably be cheaper then buying all brand new gears and paying someone to put them in when I can just change the whole did myself. But if its just my spiders I'll just replace them. The pinion gear is my deciding factor at this point. If its junk, the whole differential is getting replaced
Unread 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Skyryder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Busted tooth/teeth. Either ring & pinion or spiders. It's just about ready to grenade!
Black Jeep Society #264
Skyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
Red02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what does the noise do as you speed up or slow down? does the frequency of the noise change with speed? i had a broken pinion tooth and the noise got worse as speed increased. your noise doesn't seem constant, so i'm guessing it's not the diff. any movement of the axles sideways? do you know if there is a locker installed? it kind of sounds like a locker that disengages when you turn. maybe there's a locker installed and needs a spring replacement. i hope this helps.
Red02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I took it to the jeep dealership around my way yesterday, I was going to try to do it all myself but I don't have the time to work on it, thanks for all the help and I'll let you guys know everything that happened.
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When my rear went, it made a buzzing/rubbing sound like loud tires (too bad I thought it was my tires so I disregarded it for months), and when it finally went it was LOUD, I barely made it 10 blocks home. I mean embarrasing loud, like you'd go to the window too see what the racket was. That last block I had to run in 4wd to make it, the rear was completely gone.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You should have just pulled the cover to begin with. You didnt know the last time the fluid was changed so should change it anyways. You could have checked the diff and did maintenance at the same time
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
millcat72
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey what ended up being the issue? My 02 has started making the exact same sound. I have replaced sway bar links and bushings, lower control arms and bushings, rear shocks and rear drive shaft u-joints. Mine isn't as loud as yours but still the same sound. Before I take it somewhere I want an idea if it is something that I can do.
millcat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #29
tjstevo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

mine locks up and binds wen turning or shifting or letting out the clutch its so noisie
tjstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
tjstevo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstevo View Post
mine locks up and binds wen turning or shifting or letting out the clutch its so noisie
i want to replace the inner with arb lockers
but what is causing the binding i get it front and rear
tjstevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.