Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise. Includes Video - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise. Includes Video

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise. Includes Video

So starting yesterday(12/3/12) My jeep has been making this horrible noise coming from the rear. It started out very subtle but as today progressed it became worse and worse and eventually was jerking my jeep back and forth down the entire road. Im new to this forum so be kind if I'm being a complete idiot. any feedback is appreciated i just do not want to spend a couple grand trying to fix something thats not even broken!
Here is a video to help explain things a little bit more:

Thanks for helping me while I'm freaking out about it

JustinJeep40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot to also add that My rear diff has started leaking gear oil, i don't know if thats a gasket failure or what. but it'll make it a whole lot easier if i have to replace the gasket anyway. just because that another reason to look in there lol.
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
troy.j
1999 TJ Wrangler 

good call on pulling the cover and not driving it. post a pick whin you get it apart.

...ask those who have bled of the cost of freedom and honor those who gave that others may have what we take for granted...
troy.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Also check the shocks and the track bar.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bushing of some sort has failed. I would check the control arms as well as ^^^^^^
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Domgod
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bushing. If it were in the diff it would be a more constant noise i would think. prybar all you bushings in the rear to see for any movement.
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Really sounds like it suspension related like the others have mentioned. Have you noticed it does it only going over bumps or in pot holes or anything of that nature?
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblair
Really sounds like it suspension related like the others have mentioned. Have you noticed it does it only going over bumps or in pot holes or anything of that nature?
It does it all the time, when it started it was only when I went around turns. But as the day progressed and I drove it more it just got worse. I could be wrong, but it seems to jerk the entire jeep around and it's really vigorous. That's why I thought maybe one of the gears in the diff is stripped almost completely besides a couple teeth and it skips and catches again causing the clunking and the jerking. Although I just ordered a new rear sway bar and endlinks because the sway bar in the back was loose to the point where I could take the sway bar and move it back and forth in the bushings.. Do you think that could be the problem? I ordered the sway bar before the problem started.
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Try going out and just rock the jeep back and forth. If you hear it then its the suspension. If not its drivetrain related.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboelts
Try going out and just rock the jeep back and forth. If you hear it then its the suspension. If not its drivetrain related.
Just went out and jumped on each side of the back bumper. I just replaced the shocks not even a month ago. An haven't had tags for more than a little over two weeks. I've only put about 600 miles on it since I've had it and it has about 98000 on it all together. I'm guessing the previous owner never changed the gear oil in the differential throughout its lifetime. But regardless I'll be sure to post some pics of the carnage (if any at all) in the differential. If not its on to the transfer case, by I've only driven in 4wd 2 times at the most since I've gotten the jeep and haven't done any serious mudding just a few puddles, also I've always made sure I've returned to 2wd before getting on pavement. The clunking is just as bad when in 4wd but I wouldn't say it's any worse than when in 2wd so I'm imagining maybe I broke some teeth on a spider gear or two and I sure hope that's it because the last thing I want to do is try to take out the pinion.
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Before you pull the whole diff apart check the drive shaft.

KCCO!
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboelts
Before you pull the whole diff apart check the drive shaft.
I went out and twisted the drive shaft with my hand a little because at first I though I just had bad U-joints. The drive shaft seemed fine with as much movement in it as you would expect a driveshaft to have. Also the U-joints looked to be fine as well.
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
skip11and1
2013 MK Patriot 

is it stuck in 4 wheel drive?
2005 WK, v6 QT1 (girlfriends)
skip11and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip11and1
is it stuck in 4 wheel drive?
No, the dash does not indicate 4wd and it does not feel nearly "torquey" enough to be in 4wd. I'm 99% she's in 2wd.
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It seemed to me that is was worse when turning. Pull the cover off and look at the spider gears..I'd almost bet one is bad.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.