JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise. Includes Video (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jeep-wrangler-tj-4-0l-horrible-clunking-noise-includes-video-1446292/)

JustinJeep40 12-05-2012 04:49 AM

Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L Horrible Clunking Noise. Includes Video

So starting yesterday(12/3/12) My jeep has been making this horrible noise coming from the rear. It started out very subtle but as today progressed it became worse and worse and eventually was jerking my jeep back and forth down the entire road. Im new to this forum so be kind if I'm being a complete idiot. any feedback is appreciated i just do not want to spend a couple grand trying to fix something thats not even broken!
Here is a video to help explain things a little bit more:
Thanks for helping me while I'm freaking out about it :( :confused:

JustinJeep40 12-05-2012 04:56 AM

I forgot to also add that My rear diff has started leaking gear oil, i don't know if thats a gasket failure or what. but it'll make it a whole lot easier if i have to replace the gasket anyway. just because that another reason to look in there lol.

troy.j 12-05-2012 06:41 AM

good call on pulling the cover and not driving it. post a pick whin you get it apart.

Mboelts 12-05-2012 02:16 PM

Also check the shocks and the track bar.

afusco1222 12-05-2012 02:21 PM

Sounds like a bushing of some sort has failed. I would check the control arms as well as ^^^^^^

Domgod 12-05-2012 04:52 PM

Sounds like a bushing. If it were in the diff it would be a more constant noise i would think. prybar all you bushings in the rear to see for any movement.

dmblair 12-05-2012 05:03 PM

Really sounds like it suspension related like the others have mentioned. Have you noticed it does it only going over bumps or in pot holes or anything of that nature?

JustinJeep40 12-05-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmblair
Really sounds like it suspension related like the others have mentioned. Have you noticed it does it only going over bumps or in pot holes or anything of that nature?

It does it all the time, when it started it was only when I went around turns. But as the day progressed and I drove it more it just got worse. I could be wrong, but it seems to jerk the entire jeep around and it's really vigorous. That's why I thought maybe one of the gears in the diff is stripped almost completely besides a couple teeth and it skips and catches again causing the clunking and the jerking. Although I just ordered a new rear sway bar and endlinks because the sway bar in the back was loose to the point where I could take the sway bar and move it back and forth in the bushings.. Do you think that could be the problem? I ordered the sway bar before the problem started.

Mboelts 12-05-2012 07:37 PM

Try going out and just rock the jeep back and forth. If you hear it then its the suspension. If not its drivetrain related.

JustinJeep40 12-05-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mboelts
Try going out and just rock the jeep back and forth. If you hear it then its the suspension. If not its drivetrain related.

Just went out and jumped on each side of the back bumper. I just replaced the shocks not even a month ago. An haven't had tags for more than a little over two weeks. I've only put about 600 miles on it since I've had it and it has about 98000 on it all together. I'm guessing the previous owner never changed the gear oil in the differential throughout its lifetime. But regardless I'll be sure to post some pics of the carnage (if any at all) in the differential. If not its on to the transfer case, by I've only driven in 4wd 2 times at the most since I've gotten the jeep and haven't done any serious mudding just a few puddles, also I've always made sure I've returned to 2wd before getting on pavement. The clunking is just as bad when in 4wd but I wouldn't say it's any worse than when in 2wd so I'm imagining maybe I broke some teeth on a spider gear or two and I sure hope that's it because the last thing I want to do is try to take out the pinion.

Mboelts 12-05-2012 07:53 PM

Before you pull the whole diff apart check the drive shaft.

JustinJeep40 12-05-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mboelts
Before you pull the whole diff apart check the drive shaft.

I went out and twisted the drive shaft with my hand a little because at first I though I just had bad U-joints. The drive shaft seemed fine with as much movement in it as you would expect a driveshaft to have. Also the U-joints looked to be fine as well.

skip11and1 12-05-2012 07:58 PM

is it stuck in 4 wheel drive?

JustinJeep40 12-05-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip11and1
is it stuck in 4 wheel drive?

No, the dash does not indicate 4wd and it does not feel nearly "torquey" enough to be in 4wd. I'm 99% she's in 2wd.

sduncan 12-05-2012 08:57 PM

It seemed to me that is was worse when turning. Pull the cover off and look at the spider gears..I'd almost bet one is bad.

The time now is 06:41 AM.