Jeep Wrangler Starting Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Wrangler Starting Issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Jeep97Wrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler Starting Issue

Hey guys I'm new to these forums. I have a nagging problem with my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. It has an annoying starting issue. It takes an extended time to start my jeep. Usually I crank it and it cranks about 10 times then i crank it again and it starts. this is only when the jeep has been sitting off for more then 10 minutes or so. I have replaced all my plugs wires rotor distributor cap. I have also replaced my crank position sensor. The problem still persists! It seems alot of people have this problem but there isn't a clear cut answer. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem and found a general solution.

PS: the engine also "stutters" for the first minute it is on

Thanks,
John

Jeep97Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely your anti drainback valve on your fuel pump.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Jeep97Wrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

is that hard to replace? I know the fuel pump is in the tank... On another note the jeep seems to run a little better now with the new CPS that I installed 30 mins ago
Unread 06-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep97Wrangler
is that hard to replace? I know the fuel pump is in the tank... On another note the jeep seems to run a little better now with the new CPS that I installed 30 mins ago
I agree with the anti-drainback valve leaking diagnostic. When it leaks, it allows all the gas to drain down out of the fuel injectors and fuel rail and back into the gas tank. The long start time is how long it takes for the fuel pump to get the fuel back up to the injectors where it is supposed to stay even after the engine has been shut off.

That valve is located in the fuel regulator/pump assembly that is mounted in the gas tank so the tank would have to be dropped to replace it. You should be able to find a replacement regulator assembly on eBay.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Jeep97Wrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

would this regulator have a hand in the jeep stuttering?
Unread 06-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep97Wrangler
would this regulator have a hand in the jeep stuttering?
Probably not the regulator itself but if the fuel pump were going bad, it could. The fuel pump is supposed to put out 49 psi (+/- 2psi) which can be measured at the schraeder valve located on the fuel rail near the fuel injectors.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Jeep97Wrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks! looks like I'm going to have to find this anti drainback valve on ebay.. One quick question a friend from school and I are planning on lifting our wranglers using a superlift 2" spacer lift. With this mod do you think the transmission or transfer case should be lowered also?
Unread 06-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd think you'd be ok with the 2" lift without dropping the t-case skid.

This is the fuel filter/regulator that contains the anti drain back valve. Ebay sellers ID I got mine from is fuelpumpking1

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
cisco kid

My 93 zj did the smae thing for years. I tried everything. Complete fuel pump replacement, computer, after plugs, cap, button, coil. crankcase position sencor. I finally tried injectors. Problem solved. CK

SEE MY POST TODAY TO HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM!!!!!!!
CK
cisco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
Jeep97Wrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the advice, I'll have to save up to replace that fuel pump, but I think some of the problem was from the CPS. It starts a little earlier now and does not really hesitate as much. When replacing the fuel pump is it more advisable to have a dealership do it? or is it easily done? I feel like all I would need is a jack to hold the free tank while i do the work

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.