JEEP wrangler help cant find the problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JEEP wrangler help cant find the problem

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!1987-2016 Wrangler Jammock Black 2.0 Jeep Hammock (YJ, TJ Rancho rockGEAR promotion gear from January 1-February 29,

Unread 09-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

JEEP wrangler help cant find the problem

Please Help!!!! I'm sure this is out there some where but I have searched and searched and no luck. I have a 98 tj 4"Unknown lift 1' coil spacer in front, and stock control arms.
new built 8.8 with teraflex sye and cv shaft in rear. gears are new 4.10s.

The problem is when I accelerate only from a slow roll like 5 or 10mph I get a rattling popping noise, like if you ran your knuckles across a sheet of bumpy metal or dropped a marble in a plastic bowl and it bounced. it sounds like its under me. "I think its the same noise" i hear while its in drive at a stop, only once in a blue moon but its not as loud. doesn't do it at cruising speeds. I can baby it and it does make the noise. I can also step on it like pedal to the floor and it wont make the noise. it only does it like a mild take off.

I replace the tranny mnt about a year go still looks good. the motor mnts look good also.

my first thought was my front d/s so I pulled it out and drove it. the noise is still their. also my sway bar links are new and tight. my exhaust feels tight no metal to metal. I wouldn't think my control arms would make this noise. would it? I feel like I have checked everything.

I do have slight play in my front axle u-joints but very little any possibility? Please help.

MyToyWifesJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

jeep

It's my wife's dd so I want to make sure its safe
Unread 09-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the rear shafts and see if the noise is still there.
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

not the rear d/s

its not the rear d/s it did it when I had the d35 and old d/s in
Unread 09-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
BayouRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One of my control arms would pop and drove me crazy for months because I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Would only make noise at low speed, when shifting from reverse and into drive. It was only a single pop though. Nothing was loose enough where it could move by hand. But I did have one bolt that was not torqued enough. I went ahead and checked them all. Not sure if this is your problem but it sure took me a while to figure it out
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
MDTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a lunchbox locker in our d30? They "ratchet" when you turn which is easier to hear at slow speeds.

My control arms only pop once per weight shift (forward, back typically). Then I torqued them correctly and it stopped.

TJ Boot Camp
STOCK TJ SPECS
TJ FAQ
MDTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wondering if it at low rpm when the engine is lugging? Like if you were trying to move from a stop uphill like a steep driveway? Could it be your engine making a dieseling noise kind of like pre-detination? I've read plenty of jeep engines make this noise, especially when the engine is lugged.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Shoot me a PM, I have friends in Savannah that can help you out. Check FB for Low Country Mud Rats.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No locker up front and a control arm would make more of a one loud pop
at Jo3 tj its around 2k rpms give or take
Unread 09-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

to jo3 tj about Wondering if it at low rpm when the engine is lugging?

the jeep doesnt lug with the 4.10s and the 3spd auto and here in savannah its all flat ground

my jeep before the 35s
img_1294.jpg  

Last edited by MyToyWifesJeep; 09-30-2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: picture
Unread 09-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #11
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyWifesJeep
to jo3 tj about Wondering if it at low rpm when the engine is lugging? the jeep doesnt lug with the 4.10s and the 3spd auto and here in savannah its all flat ground my jeep before the 35s
Okay, was just seeing if maybe it was an engine noise at low 1000 rpm range. No clue what it is just thougt I'd mention that.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

correction just drove to the store and it makes the noises at 1,400 rpms and about 15mph
Unread 10-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #13
MyToyWifesJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so after replacing my axle u-joints yesterday i took it for a drive and guess what the noise was still there. so for about 2 hours i search the whole jeep again and I FOUND it , It is my transfer case shifter linkage where it goes into the bracket that bolts to the driver side floor. the rubber part had dry rotted and vanished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.