Jeep Wrangler "Clicking" Noise - Need Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Wrangler "Clicking" Noise - Need Help?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
acleme1

Jeep Wrangler "Clicking" Noise - Need Help?

I have a 1997 Wrangler SE (2.5L 4cyl.) that I recently purchased. I spent the past couple of days doing some (much needed) routine maintenance on it. After finishing up, I opened the hood to listen to her purr. As I was listening, it came to my attention that there was "clicking" sound coming from what I thought was around the belt. Once I started looking and listening, I realized it was coming from the right side (standing in front of the Jeep, looking in), close to the front of the engine compartment. It's coming from a couple of electrical parts in that area. One of the parts is a large cylinder, and the other is an electrical looking part that sits on a post. I apologize...I have no idea what these parts on the engine are. Also, if you touch or grab the cylinder or wires, you can feel the pulse of the clicking. Any ideas on what this could be, or if it is a problem. The clicking is about as loud as the engine itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. AC.

acleme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Coming from the driver's side fender under the hood?

That is your evap canister... the ticking is normal, although it should not be as loud as your engine. Does it diminish once the engine is warm?

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
acleme1

that's correct. on the fender, under the hood. it doesn't seem like it diminishes. i let it warm-up pretty well. still ticking...
acleme1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.