Jeep won't turn over on first try!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't turn over on first try!!

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 07-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
mudslingertj24
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't turn over on first try!!

My Jeep since I got it, has had troubles starting. It usually takes it two to three attempts for it to turn over.The starter is fine. I think this may have something to do with the sending unit or something like that. What needs to be looked at or tested to determine the problem. Any help much appreciated. Thanks....

mudslingertj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds to me like the anti-drainback valve in your fuel pump is toast. A relatively common Jeep TJ malady. You'll probably need a new fuel pump, though I think some people have had other solutions. Here's a link to where you can find a guide on how to fix it.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/fu...fuelpump-1.htm
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try the following before starting your Jeep.
Turn the key from OFF to RUN, wait a couple of seconds, turn the key back to OFF.
Again turn the key from OFF to RUN, wait a couple of seconds, turn the key back to OFF.
Now start it. It ought to fire right up.

This should get you by until you have an opportunity to deal with the drain back valve issue.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977 View Post
It sounds to me like the anti-drainback valve in your fuel pump is toast. A relatively common Jeep TJ malady. You'll probably need a new fuel pump, though I think some people have had other solutions. Here's a link to where you can find a guide on how to fix it.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/fu...fuelpump-1.htm
I agree, fairly common problem. The post right after this will help, also.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.