Jeep won't start...sometimes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't start...sometimes

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
MikeTheVike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't start...sometimes

Had the same problem one day last week that I had this morning. I would turn the key, starter would click once(can't remember 100% that it would click), the engine would not attempt to start or turn over. My gauges would go a little crazy initially and then my Check Gauges light would come on and my check engine light would blink. I can do this a few times and it will eventually start. The check engine light stays off.

I took it to the Auto Parts store to see if they could pull the last error code but it came up fine. Any ideas?

MikeTheVike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
-ShockWave-
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Test the voltage going across the top of the battery to see if it is below spec. Or just go out and buy a battery. That is step one.

Could be ignition switch or starter related, once a battery has been swaped out and it continues to fail.
-ShockWave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
hefightsfire
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've been having same problem lately. Tried cleaning the terminals and making sure everything was tight. It's done it once right after but not since. Got anything figured out for sure yet?

Abraham Lincoln
hefightsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

jeeps don't like bad batteries that have poor voltage or connections, or ignition switch?
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
MikeTheVike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I cleaned the terminals, one was pretty crusty. So far so good...I'll update again if things start going bad again.
MikeTheVike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
GlassCurtain
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My fog light switch started to fail and would randomly turn my fog's on. After draining the battery and recharging a few times. I had the same issue with starting as you did. Not enough amps to crank. A new battery solved it. I hope just cleaning it was the solution. Let us know.
GlassCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This just happened to my cherokee, wouldn't turn over just clicked. Dash kinda flickered, then the check gages came on. It was a failed Alt, which in turn fried my 3yr old battery.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
pyrow07
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if this comes up again and you bought a battery or know that it does not need a battery, try hitting the starter while someone turns the jeep over, or hit it then turn it over, if that works then you need a new starter.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.