Jeep wont start - Checked the vitals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep wont start - Checked the vitals

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep wont start - Checked the vitals

This is really weird:

My jeeps charge indicator went to zero while i was a few blocks from my house so I drove home right away and shut her down.

-Battery shows 12.4V
-Just tested the alternator the day before when i cleaned the terminals and its putting out 14.5V
-There is a good connection between the battery and alternator I tested with a voltmeter.
-I've removed my winch/lights/sub cables to simplify everything
-When I try to crank it all i get is the solenoid clicking
-When I hooked up a spare battery to jumper it, the motor turns over but not super fast. It should still be enough to start though. With the additional battery im getting just under 13V. Even though it turns over, it doesn't want to start!

What is wrong with my reasoning here? This just doesn't make sense to me. The next thing I will test is if I get sparks at the cylinders. If you guys can solve my problem, I promise to finally get a membership! I've been meaning to for a while now.

Black Jeep Society Member #398

*Jeep Wave*
TJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

bump :S

*Jeep Wave*
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
TXjeepTJ

Clean your battery terminals/connectors scrape them up real good exposing new surface,make sure they are on real tight. Let me know what happens
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
jabroni3411
2006 TJ Wrangler 

With any starting problems i always check the 3 main causes, battery alternator and starter. i say you've got 2 out of 3 down try checking the starter. could be sticking causing the jeep to turn over slow or not turn over at all. also the connections to the starter, could be oxidized and not getting a strong connection from the battery.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sub-1k-build-1154310[/url]
jabroni3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, ive checked all 3, and they look good. I charged the battery again tonight and it magically fired up! It's showing charging, but it still worries me because I didnt actually do anything haha. Ill keep an eye on it for now, and plan on getting a new battery soon.

*Jeep Wave*
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You could very well have a low cell in the battery, it will show good voltage till you put a load on it then it falls on its face.
Also when you check your battery terminals, "looks good" don't always mean it is, cleaning them is the only way to remove any clear oxidation.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your responses so far. I've tried another battery and same problem. Right now it works perfectly one day, starts up fine, runs great etc. but then i'll be out somewhere and the battery meter will go to zero. If I leave the vehicle running its fine which leads me to believe that the alternator is running it fine, but after the vehicle is turned off, it wont start again. So if battery is fine, and alternator is fine, all it could be is the wiring, but i've cleaned the terminals like 3 times!! Could this be an ECU problem!?

*Jeep Wave*
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The alternator is regulated by the ECM, you could clean the ECM connectors and see if that helps.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator problem , electrical issue , start problems , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.