Jeep wont start after genright fender install. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep wont start after genright fender install.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
NewLegs
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep wont start after genright fender install.

Sooo this is frustrating as all heck.
Just finished installing my genright tube fenders on my 2000 TJ and im so impressed with this product I can't believe it. The jeep looks like an entirely different vehicle. However, these fenders came with LED turn signals and a signal relay to allow the LED's to blink. I installed them and to my knowledge, properly. I wanted to go cruise my jeep and it won't start. I turn the key, and nothing happens. The only thing different is that I have an airbag light come on my gauge cluster. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and it didn't work, and yes the battery is good I load tested it. It doesn't make sense to me, any ideas as to what happened would be appreciated!!

NewLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are the terminals clean?
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Poswald
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Take the LED out of the equation and wire it back the way it was before installing LED. If it starts you know it has to do with the LED turn signals.
Poswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
tj120
2001 TJ Wrangler 

did you have to move the fuse box out of the way? you may have knocked something loose in the fuse box when you where changing fenders theres a asd relay fuel pump relay? that could be disturbed. i really cant imagine how the leds could effect it but anythings possible. i would start checking fuses and relays. does it crank if you jump the starter relay?
tj120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
BimotaBruce

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you had to move the battery tray, there's a sender on the bottom of that tray that needs to be connected in order for the Jeep to allow power from the battery.

Hope that helps.
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would make sure your fuse box is properly grounded, I had this when I installed my rokmen fenders and it turned out to be a bad ground on my fuse box.
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
SummerOf95
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also, you may want to check the small wire going to the starter solenoid.
I accidentally caught mine while changing my oil filter.
Confused the hell outta me for a good hour.

Also check for any corrosion on all your electrical connections.
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

When you turn the key to the run position, what works and what doesn't? When you turn the key to the start/crank position what works and what doesn't? Does the starter turn over but it doesn't start? Give us more info and we can help a little better maybe.
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
NewLegs
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When I turn the key all the way on, nothing happens. What I mean is, gauges move to where they are supposed to be, fuel pump makes noise, it just won't start at all. The only clue I have is a light on my dash that says Airbag that was never there before.
I tried disconnecting the battery (both terminals) for upwards of 6 minutes to see if that would reset the computer and no luck. The only wiring I touched was re soldering the LED turn signals onto existing wire leads, and installing a turn signal resistor underneath the steering column to allow the LED's to blink.
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you have an airbag light on and you were messing around under the steering colum are you sure you got in the proper wire? You say it doesn't start. We get that but does it atleast crank over?
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Look where you did your cuts on the battery side and make sure you didn't slice thru something. Its very easy to cut thru something with a Sawzall or cut off wheel and not know it. Check the relays and fuses too for the ECM.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
NewLegs
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wow okay so I figured it out

sduncan you hit the nail on the head

Turns out when I was cutting on the battery side my sawzall clipped the wire cluster coming out of the fuse box just enough to slice three of the wires, the result of this was a blown starter relay

If I didn't start this thread, the jeep would still be parked. Thanks to all of you!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.