Jeep wont start advice on where to start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep wont start advice on where to start?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
vangosu

Jeep wont start advice on where to start?

I have a 2004 Rubicon. Over the past month the jeep gave a rare problem of needing to be push started but typically not. It went completely dead the other day so bought a new battery. It worked fine for 2 days and now yesterday it would crank but not turn. I tried push starting but it did not work. Now no power will turn on whatsoever no crank no lights no response at all any ideas? there is a brand new battery in there and it worked for 2 days with that before completely dying.

vangosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

OK....so what is the battery voltage now?

What is condition of the battery cables? Are the terminals bright, shiny clean?

Have you been able to successfully jump start it?

Did you take the battery out and have it tested? It is possible get a defective battery when you purchase a new one.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
mmtphoto

you need to get the battery fully charged, then get the jeep running and using a digital volt meter, check to see if the alternator is charging -it should read over 14 volts when running.
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
jneal
Nice....Keep Wheelin!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

if the battery is really dead it wont push start. just simply too many electronics nowadays to do it.

like listed above,

charge the battery on a charger
start jeep
check voltage for 14 with a volt meter. autozone or similar store should be able to do this if you dont have a VM.
clean terminals/cables, baking soda and water will help
spray terms with some term spray you can get at the parts store. this will stop future corrosion.

it really sounds as if you have either a bad Alt. or something running (drawing current) when the engine is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew View Post
You have nothing... You are a like a culture of ketchup mold... You are completely useless to everyone in the world!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
Hey Rob, can you do me a favor and stop quoting the retard? I have him on my ignore for a reason.:thumbdown:
jneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
57phinney
2003 TJ Wrangler 

if battery and alter. is fine shut everything off .check with a 12 volt tester to see what is pulling volts from fuse panel
57phinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Cochinosucio
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have something that bleeds power at all times (with key off). Did u install a new stereo? new accessories? any lights on? (exterior, interior, under hood).
Sure I can fix it! I can do it [COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Blue"]FAST[/COLOR][/COLOR], [COLOR="red"][COLOR="Blue"]RIGHT[/COLOR][/COLOR], or [COLOR="red"][COLOR="blue"]CHEAP[/COLOR][/COLOR], now pick two........
Cochinosucio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
vangosu

I found out it was a pretty bad short coming from the original subwoofer. It drained the full power of the battery in less than 3 hours of not running.
vangosu is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.