Jeep won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't start, no click - nothing

I just replaced the power steering pump yesterday and drove for at least an hour on my jeep back to my house - so that should have nothing to do with this, but I figured I would mention it.

When I try to start my Jeep, nothing happens. No click or anything.

What I've done so far:

I checked the battery voltage and it read 12.5 volts

All my lights work and are not dim

My lights do not dim when I try to start it

I can hear my fuel pump

I checked the starter relay using an ohm meter and it read around 65 ohms on two tabs and 0 on the other two tabs, so it's good -- I also just tried using a new relay and it didn't fix the problem either

I then put the dmm in the starter relay slot in my fuse box and got a 12 volt reading from pin number 30

I did the same thing as above but put my key to the on position and got a 12 volt reading from pin number 30, 85, and 87

I just tried putting a fuse (20amp) in the #20 slot behind my glove box (which should bypass the clutch safety switch, i believe) and that didn't work either.

I took my steering column panel off and turned my key to the on position and then removed the key's lock cylinder and tried to start it with a screwdriver and that didn't work either.

I tried hitting my starter and solenoid with a screw driver - no luck

On my starter there appears to be 3 bolts. I attached a jumper cable from the top left one to the positive battery terminal and nothing happend. I then attached the jumper cable to the bottom left one to the positive battery terminal and all I saw was some sparks but not very much. I did not connect it to the far right one because it looks like a ground, but I can see the red positive wire going to one of two (or both) of the studs on the left. I can't tell which one because of the black plastic cover it has on it.

Here is a picture of my starter so you can tell what I mean by 3 studs. (In the pic you can only see one of the left, there are two - vertically)

Anyone have any other ideas? I've literally tried everything that I have found on-line. If you want pictures, I will gladly post some. I'm completely stumped on this. It ran perfect yesterday.

Manual Transmission
Bologna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure how/what you did exactly with the ignition cylinder, but I had a similar issue with my Jeep awhile ago and the cylinder internals had broken and thus would not let the Jeep start. Perhaps there is a mechanic near you that you could take your ignition cylinder to and have it inspected?

Moab: Rose Garden Hill, Hell's Revenge, Top O' The World...I love my Jeep! :)

1994 Cherokee 'Greenone' - R.I.P.
1998 Cherokee 'Peri' - Sold
1998 Wrangler 'Tera' - Work in progress
TJ-Tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Tera View Post
Not sure how/what you did exactly with the ignition cylinder, but I had a similar issue with my Jeep awhile ago and the cylinder internals had broken and thus would not let the Jeep start. Perhaps there is a mechanic near you that you could take your ignition cylinder to and have it inspected?
But I took that whole cylinder(The one the key goes into) out of my Jeep and used a screwdriver instead to start it, and it still didn't work. So that couldn't be the problem
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bologna View Post
But I took that whole cylinder(The one the key goes into) out of my Jeep and used a screwdriver instead to start it, and it still didn't work. So that couldn't be the problem
Well, like I said above I'm not sure what you did with the screwdriver exactly or where in the steering column since I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure that a screwdriver would even work. Have you successfully started a car this way before?

#checkeredpast
#carthief?

j/k

Unread 01-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Tera View Post
Well, like I said above I'm not sure what you did with the screwdriver exactly or where in the steering column since I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure that a screwdriver would even work. Have you successfully started a car this way before?

#checkeredpast
#carthief?

j/k
If you take that cylinder out, then there is a little hole in the very back that a screwdriver can slide into, you then turn the screwdriver like you would your keys. It's like what you see in the movies sometimes - just no wires involved
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you take that cylinder out, then there is a little hole in the very back that a screwdriver can slide into, you then turn the screwdriver like you would your keys. It's like what you see in the movies sometimes - just no wires involved
Interesting...I figured there was some way since we don't have PATS keys but I never knew for sure

Unread 01-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
Dave02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just replaced the power steering pump yesterday and drove for at least an hour on my jeep back to my house - so that should have nothing to do with this, but I figured I would mention it.

When I try to start my Jeep, nothing happens. No click or anything.

What I've done so far:

I checked the battery voltage and it read 12.5 volts

All my lights work and are not dim

My lights do not dim when I try to start it

I can hear my fuel pump

I checked the starter relay using an ohm meter and it read around 65 ohms on two tabs and 0 on the other two tabs, so it's good -- I also just tried using a new relay and it didn't fix the problem either

I then put the dmm in the starter relay slot in my fuse box and got a 12 volt reading from pin number 30

I did the same thing as above but put my key to the on position and got a 12 volt reading from pin number 30, 85, and 87

I just tried putting a fuse (20amp) in the #20 slot behind my glove box (which should bypass the clutch safety switch, i believe) and that didn't work either.

I took my steering column panel off and turned my key to the on position and then removed the key's lock cylinder and tried to start it with a screwdriver and that didn't work either.

On my starter there appears to be 3 bolts. I attached a jumper cable from the top left one to the positive battery terminal and nothing happend. I then attached the jumper cable to the bottom left one to the positive battery terminal and all I saw was some sparks but not very much. I did not connect it to the far right one because it looks like a ground, but I can see the red positive wire going to one of two (or both) of the studs on the left. I can't tell which one because of the black plastic cover it has on it.

Here is a picture of my starter so you can tell what I mean by 3 studs. (In the pic you can only see one of the left, there are two - vertically)

Anyone have any other ideas? I've literally tried everything that I have found on-line. If you want pictures, I will gladly post some. I'm completely stumped on this. It ran perfect yesterday.
Are you still working on this?
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes sir
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
Dave02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have an assistant to help turn the key while you check something?
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I do not, he just passed out. I have tried hitting the starter though.

I will have one tomorrow though, what's your idea?
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #11
Dave02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So obviously the big wire from the battery goes to the starter. Its under that black cover, it needs 12.6 volts or there abouts. There should be a small wire on the solenoid, when you turn the key the small wire will indicate 12 volts, would be easy to see with a test light.
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
Dave02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

so if the small wire indicates it is getting power, that is the signal that energizes the solenoid. Tells you the ignition switch is working .
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #13
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave02TJ View Post
So obviously the big wire from the battery goes to the starter. Its under that black cover, it needs 12.6 volts or there abouts. There should be a small wire on the solenoid, when you turn the key the small wire will indicate 12 volts, would be easy to see with a test light.
I could leave my key in the on position, and check that small wire with a dmm?
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #14
Dave02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you could jump the big red wire to little starter signal wire and that will also energize the solenoid and the starter should spin.
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #15
Dave02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I could leave my key in the on position, and check that small wire with a dmm?
small wire only gets power when the key is turned.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.