Jeep won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't start

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
ado2987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't start

So, my Jeep won't start.

I was putting bed liner in the entire tub this weekend and wanted to leave the doors open without killing the battery. Getting the cable ends off the terminals was holding me up so I pulled a fuse instead.

Since I've been done with the bed liner and put everything back together, it won't start. The only thing I screwed with was the battery, so that must be it, right? I tried trickle-charging, jump charging, and even wrestled the battery out and took it to be tested (report said it was fine). I've cleaned the cable ends and the terminals and made sure everything is nice and tight.

All the electrical stuff seems to work. I used to have a YJ and I remember that I would hear the fuel pump switch on when I turned the ignition switch. Should I be hearing this in a TJ, too? (because I don't...) The ignition tries to turn over but seems just short of firing the engine on.

I'm not very familiar with TJ's as I've only had this one for about a year and I'm finally getting around to fixing it up. I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this that I'm just overlooking. Again, the only thing I messed with was the battery and cable ends. If that's not the problem then it's something that failed while it sat in the driveway for a couple days. Beats me. The good news is that the inside of the tub looks great now.... Help?

ado2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check all your fuses in the PDC and the fuse block. Additionally, you can check the fuel pump relay and ASD relay in the PDC by swapping them into the socket for the horn relay and testing that the horn functions. To answer your fuel pump question, yes, you should be able to hear the fuel pump kick on for roughly two seconds when you turn the ignition to the ON position.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.