Jeep Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Won't Start

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
GreekGhost
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Won't Start

Hey guys -

I am having a starting problem with my 1998 TJ (2.5L). I have ruled out the usual suspects such as the battery and the starter. Attempts to start it result in no engine noise/turnover.

I was able to get it started while crossing the leads on the starter motor and having someone sit in the cab and turn the ignition.

My thoughts were it was the clutch interlock safety switch. However I dropped a 20 AMP fuse into the number 20 spot to kill the safety switch and still didn't get a start.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

GreekGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
ble10
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You sure the battery is good? Clean terminals and all grounds while checking them.
ble10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
RandyTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check the fuse box under the hood.....switch out the horn relay for the starter relay.....see if that works.........I had a relay problem on my 2000 TJ.
White 2005 LJ, Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Goodyear 315/75/16 MTR's, Pro Comp 97 16x8 wheels, UCF Tummy Tuck, 1" Prothane BL, 1" JKS MML,Tereflex Disco's, 10,000 lb. winch. CB Radio, Fire Extinguister, Synthetic Fluids, Driving Lights....
1999 XJ 6.5 Lift, Rusty's Long Arm, Four Link Rear Suspension, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, Alloy Axles....
RandyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
GreekGhost
2013 JK Wrangler 

I should mention the battery is only a year or so old. I just cleaned the terminals recently. The starter is also new and only a couple months old. I am thinking about checking my ignition switch. However checking the starter relay is another place I will look as well.

I have an alarm on the Jeep but it has been acting funny so I am going to remove the brain of it to make sure that doesn't have anything to do with the problem.
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
GreekGhost
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just checked to see if it was the relay. I used a standard 30 amp 5 way relay to test (it was all I had at the moment) and confirmed that it was not the relay. Next steps are to double check the connections to the starter and if that doesn't work, examining the ignition switch.
Unread 06-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
GreekGhost
2013 JK Wrangler 

Another update. Ran out this morning and removed the alarm "brain". Still didn't get any movement from the starter.

My plan now is to clean all connections at the starter. Hopefully that fixes it up. I am not sure if the problem lies in the ignition switch as I needed to turn the key while crossing the leads on the starter motor to get it started.

Any help is appreciated.
Unread 06-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
danb303
2005 WK 

If you can jump the wires at the starter and crank it then that tells you that the battery is good and the starter is good. Work backwards from there. It sound like the solenoid is not functoining properly.

What wires did you jump on the starter?

I'm guessing it's either the solenoid or the wire from the switch that activates the solenoid.

Check the small wire from the switch to the solenoid. Have someone turn your switch while you check it with the test light. If it doesn't have voltage then it's not the solenoid. If it does have voltage when someone turns the switch then it's the solenoid. Often you can tap on them with a wrench or something and they will start working again.
danb303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
GreekGhost
2013 JK Wrangler 

I jumped the main power and ground wires providing power to the motor. I am going to get into a little bit this evening and then if I have no success I will trace the wire to find the problem tomorrow.

I did try tapping the starter with a wrench to see if it would start working and didn't have luck with that.
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
GreekGhost
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I found the root of the problem. Ignition switch is fine. The problem lies with the rod that turns the starter switch when the key is turned. It seems that the piece has broken and is not turning the ignition switch far enough to get the thing started

Does anyone know what part this is and where I can get one? It appears to be part of the steering column as it does not come out when I remove the ignition switch and the lock cylinder.
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
juramico

Jeep cherokkes in particular have been known to simply die and never start again. I had one..where I replaced the starter, switch, fuel pump, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor..It never started again. I hope that's not the case for you.
juramico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGhost View Post
Ok, I found the root of the problem. Ignition switch is fine. The problem lies with the rod that turns the starter switch when the key is turned. It seems that the piece has broken and is not turning the ignition switch far enough to get the thing started

Does anyone know what part this is and where I can get one? It appears to be part of the steering column as it does not come out when I remove the ignition switch and the lock cylinder.
Here are a few threads on this problem. I got one out of a Cherokee at the wrecking yard for $5.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sm.../#post10434715

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he...crank-1114367/
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
GreekGhost
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jeep is all fixed up. Went to the wrecking yard and picked up the ignition switch pin and a ignition switch out of 1999 Dodge Neon for $20. I figured it was best to replace both at a low price while I was there just in case there was something wrong with the ignition switch.

I snapped a quick photo of the ignition switch pin for anyone else that will be researching this problem. The broken pin is on the left and the replacement pin is on the right. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
img_0150.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.