Jeep won't shift out of park? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't shift out of park?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Grandman79
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't shift out of park?

I parked jeep after run to town. Got in it later and the shifter won`t move out of park. Any reason for this?

Grandman79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's more than likely the cheapo plastic stick with little balls on it that has broken inside your shift lever. The dealer will try to sell you a whole shift assembly for $$$$$. Then you will be stuck with the same cheap piece of plastic that will break again. If you can pull the plastic piece out of your shifter (pull the knob off---pull it hard and straight up, it will pop off) if you can pull out the plastic piece, it is broken, and the skinny parts of the stick are now overlapping and not allowing the lock mechanism to press down on it enough. Take your everyday chopstick and cut it to the same size as the broken piece. Re-install and your problem is solved. You can manually get it out of park if you take the shift cover off and press down on the actuator with your finger. If the piece of plastic in your shifter does not come out freely, it is probably not broken and your problem may actually be in the cable itself. hope that helps. The chopstick fix worked for my 04. Learned it right here on JF!!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
outdoorlivin247
1974 CJ5 

My guess is you broke the plastic tab off of the shifter button...A friends 03 Rubicon did the same thing...Good luck at the dealer, I don't know if they still got the parts to fix his...Going on a month and a half...
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Try jiggling the steering wheel and key which is what holds the shifter in Park via the linkage described above.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Grandman79
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, thanks for the help. I pulled the handle off and the white plastic piece is broken. I`ll have to order some chinese for dinner.
Grandman79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I actually had to do it twice (cut a chopstick). The first time it was a wee bit short, so I took the second stick and cut it about 1/8" longer than the broken piece. Works like a champ for over 2 months so far. Depending on what kind of chopstick you end up with (round or square), you might have to widdle the square end a little to get it to fit snugly in the shift lever. I used a round one and had to use a little electrical tape wrapped on the end so it fit tight in the lever. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me, and enjoy your dinner!!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
jerrylking

Stuck in Park

Man, I love internet discussion forums like this; they have saved me a huge amount of time and money. I tried to take my 2004 Wrangler Rubicon out this morning and couldn't get it out of park. A search on this forum quickly identified the likely culprit as the plastic rod inside the shift lever. I couldn't figure out how to get the shift handle off, but a further search revealed that you just pull it straight up. So, off with the handle, and sure enough, the rod is broken. I happened to have some 1/4" steel rod in my garage, so I cut a piece to the same length as the broken-off plastic piece (leaving the broken bottom part in place), inserted it into the shift lever, popped the shift handle back on, and it works perfectly. Whole process took an hour.

I was wondering how I was going to get a tow truck into my garage.
jerrylking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
Sanders1312

Use a 1/4" metal rod

Chopsticks I'm sure would work too, but I used JerryLKing's advice. I went to Lowe's and bought a 1/4" metal rod and cut it 1/8" longer than the plastic piece that I pulled out. It cost me about $3.00. Works like a champ. I've been driving it all day without a problem. Thanks a million you guys, I would have hated to spend the $110 for a new shift assembly.
Sanders1312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
ayotte

The chop stick worked for me like a charm. Thanks
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
ZierleJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
It's more than likely the cheapo plastic stick with little balls on it that has broken inside your shift lever. The dealer will try to sell you a whole shift assembly for $$$$$. Then you will be stuck with the same cheap piece of plastic that will break again. If you can pull the plastic piece out of your shifter (pull the knob off---pull it hard and straight up, it will pop off) if you can pull out the plastic piece, it is broken, and the skinny parts of the stick are now overlapping and not allowing the lock mechanism to press down on it enough. Take your everyday chopstick and cut it to the same size as the broken piece. Re-install and your problem is solved. You can manually get it out of park if you take the shift cover off and press down on the actuator with your finger. If the piece of plastic in your shifter does not come out freely, it is probably not broken and your problem may actually be in the cable itself. hope that helps. The chopstick fix worked for my 04. Learned it right here on JF!!
TJDave,

My son's Jeep Wrngler X has this problem and the plastic piece does come out. I gues it is broken. I will also try the chopstick approach as well. I do have another question though, his break lights were on the other day when i got home from work. His lights were off, but his break lights were on. I told him, he got his keys, and went out to the Jeep. He stepped on the break pedal and released it, and the lights went off. This has not occured since last week. Are these at all related? Looking for as much info as I can get to save $$, I need as much cash as possible to spend on gas!!

Thanks,

ZierleJeep
ZierleJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
bjohns

Stuck in Park

I want to thank you guys for the tip on how to fix the "stuck in park" problem. I pulled off the t-bar of the shifter and lo and behold, the plastic piece came out. I picked up a piece of 1/4" steel rod and cut it off and put it in the shifter, and now it works just fine. My wife went on line and found your forum notes and then read it to me over the cell phone while I was stuck blocking a gas pump with a bunch of unhappy people behind me. Since the steel rod was at home and I was at the gas pump, I got out of that situation by sticking the plastic piece back in upside down, and then pressing the top of it with my thumb, and then I was able to get it out of park and at least drive it home.

Thanks loads. You saved me some money and got me out of a fix.

Cheers to you guys.
bjohns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
4banged
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This site rocks...couldn't get my 03 TJ out of park and thought i had bumped some wires going to the brake pedal or on the steering column when installing my cb but found this post and the plastic rod is broken (I had put it in neutral to push it a foot in the garage so I could open hood all the way in garage without hitting the opener and apparently this was the one time the rod decided to break...drove myself nuts chasing wires thinking I bumped the brake pedal safety wire that prevents you from shifting out of park without taping break first). Now just need to decide Chinese or home depot. Lol

UPDATE: I ended up using a pen and it works great . . . i had a papermate one that tapers at the end down to the exact size of what the plastic rod was so it fit right into the shift end perfectly . . . I just took the writing part out and even though the open end is pushing on the broken part it is about 1/4" longer then the piece of broken rod that it's replacing so it's perefect . . . didn't even have to cut it down. Proves again that the pen in mightier then the sword! LOL
4banged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #13
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the main thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ca...t-gear-514108/
Jim
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
hoganfan4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

wow would think after all this jeep would fix this problem...

i want to say thank you to all who explained perfectly how to fix this problem happen to me today in the pouring rain at a gas pump..thank goodness for internet on my phone lol again thanks
hoganfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Standard equipment, for some time now, in my jeep is a pair of chop sticks, the little plastic ball thing should last for ever now that I am informed and prepared.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.