Jeep won't idle after battery drain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep won't idle after battery drain

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't idle after battery drain

So here is the story. TWICE the battery was drained (as many of you may know it is very easy to leave your lights on). The first time it would at least click but the second time it was totally dead.

Now the Jeep won't idle. After trickle charging the battery for a good day it will at least start the Jeep and keep a charge. The only problem is it won't idle upon a cold start. The engine cranks and starts but instead of the RPMs falling and idling at 800, they just keep falling until the engine dies.

The catch is if I keep on the throttle, to keep the engine from dieing, after about 10 minuets or so it will eventually idle. I have noticed that it will idle as soon as the temp hits regular running temp. (210?)

Of course the simple answer is it could just be the battery (It is an eight year old Optima battery). Other then the battery, is there anything else that could be causing this problem? My guesses would be IAC and my dad's guess is it could be the auto choke. Any other guesses?

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
sublimemaze
1997 TJ Wrangler 

um.... alternator
sublimemaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
chief100psu
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is common - rev the engine over 3k for 3 minutes and it will idle fine or drive it down the highway for a bit. The ecu has some setting that get reset and it needs to relearn how to idle. I have had this happen to me a few times.
chief100psu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
trikebubble
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened to us after my Wife left the lights on and drained the battery. I boosted the battery and it seemed to have trouble idling for around 5 minutes. I replaced the old crap battery the next day and have had no issues since.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
xxiiiliv
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikebubble View Post
Same thing happened to us after my Wife left the lights on and drained the battery. I boosted the battery and it seemed to have trouble idling for around 5 minutes. I replaced the old crap battery the next day and have had no issues since.
X2...had the same problem...ended up being the battery, only a year old
xxiiiliv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

1. Chrysler vehicles will not run with a weak or bad battery, or if the voltage is off. It will start and run as long as you keep your foot in it. The PCM will shut it down as soon as you take you foot off.

2. If it is an Optima Red Top, it is not a deep discharge battery meaning, it is not designed to be drained (the yellow top is) The Red will be damaged and not recover if drained down.

3. An 8 year old battery no matter what the brand is past the expected life.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help guys. I figured it's would probably be the battery but just wanted to get more feedback. Today I will probably swap the battery with one from a different car to see if that's the problem. If so I guess I will be spending money on a new battery. I will definitely buy an Optima battery again, except the one with the yellow top because this def. won't be the last time the battery is drained because lights were left on.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
acrijos
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened to me and it was my red top Optima. It finally went after 10 years of service
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
cberrykix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the alternator is working, probably just the battery. Most parts stores will test either for free.

You can do a simple check on the alternator yourself: With the engine running turn your headlights on. When you rev the engine the lights should get a little brighter, dim a bit at idle. If this happens, the alternator is producing electricity. If you shut off the engine and the lights rapidly dim, then you can bet on the battery being the likely problem.

Like I said, most parts stores can test the alternator to make sure it is operating properly.
cberrykix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.