JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   jeep wobble (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jeep-wobble-1581065/)

Ljcrawler05 09-13-2013 12:28 AM

jeep wobble

So guys what ive got... 2005 lj rubicon on 33s... just noticed it a couple weeks and has steadily gotten worse but whenever I am driving down the road at speed 25+ and hit any sort of a bump around a drivers side turn the wheel shakes until it is returned to center. It does not do this when going around the same turns while turning to the passenger side. It feels almost as if the tire is out of balance but only under these conditions. What do you guys think?

JEK3 09-13-2013 05:51 AM

Rotate your tires (swap fronts to rears) and see if the problem changes. If it remains, then the problem is in your front end components. Search on here for death wobble threads. You don't have death wobble, but the diagnostics for that will help you figure out what's going on. Also, look at your u-joints in the front axles.

BGClemson 09-13-2013 08:15 AM

Start by rotating tires and seeing if that fixes it. Check front end alignment as well. If those are good, then check the bushings on the track bar. I am having the exact same issue right now, and I think that is the culprit in mine. You could also take a look at upper and lower ca bushings.

Ljcrawler05 09-13-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubiredJK (Post 15967225)
Start by rotating tires and seeing if that fixes it. Check front end alignment as well. If those are good, then check the bushings on the track bar. I am having the exact same issue right now, and I think that is the culprit in mine. You could also take a look at upper and lower ca bushings.

Dont youhave metalcloak arms all the way round or am I thinking of someone else? And yeah im going to check the u joints track bar and tie rod later today when I get the chance. . Dry steering test should let me know but if not the control arm bushings will be next on the list. Id be surprised with the limited flex I put it through that they would be in bad shape... but I did put an antirock on a couple months ago so maybe thats the difference... ill post an update later today

KMET 09-13-2013 09:45 AM

Conditions you speak of, and my own past experience, I'd say replace track bar bushing/ball joint. @ 2" of lift you're using all stock arms right?
(It's alright... I ran all stock @ 3" with the exception of relocation brackets)

Quote:

Id be surprised with the limited flex I put it through that they would be in bad shape
When was the last time/mileage you changed your front control arm bushings, and of that time, how long have you been running that tire size (305/75/16)

BGClemson 09-13-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05 (Post 15967785)
Dont youhave metalcloak arms all the way round or am I thinking of someone else? And yeah im going to check the u joints track bar and tie rod later today when I get the chance. . Dry steering test should let me know but if not the control arm bushings will be next on the list. Id be surprised with the limited flex I put it through that they would be in bad shape... but I did put an antirock on a couple months ago so maybe thats the difference... ill post an update later today

I do have metalcloak arms....and trackbars....all the way round sitting in a box in my garage :rofl:

I havent had time to install them yet, trying to wait until it gets cold. I have currie ultimate steering going on as well, and a ucf belly up skid. It's a long list!

Ljcrawler05 09-13-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMET (Post 15969881)
Conditions you speak of, and my own past experience, I'd say replace track bar bushing/ball joint. @ 2" of lift you're using all stock arms right?
(It's alright... I ran all stock @ 3" with the exception of relocation brackets)

When was the last time/mileage you changed your front control arm bushings, and of that time, how long have you been running that tire size (305/75/16)

Yeah with my weighted down lj I really only see about 1.5" of lift and yeah they are all stock control arms for now... only ones I own that are different are mc rear uppers for when my tt goes on.

I haven't changed the control arm bushings the entire time ive owned the vehicle (4 years and about 40k miles). Im su re they are the stock bushings in them as well.

Also ive been running the 305s for the last 20k miles and 285s the set before that for another 20k.

So what you are suggesting is track bar and or wheel bearing issue... I am thinking about getting the mc front adjustable tb but don't know if it will fit with my low lift. As far as the ball joints go what do you recommend? A name ive seen thrown out there is synergy but they are pricey!

Ljcrawler05 09-13-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubiredJK (Post 15970393)

I do have metalcloak arms....and trackbars....all the way round sitting in a box in my garage :rofl:

I havent had time to install them yet, trying to wait until it gets cold. I have currie ultimate steering going on as well, and a ucf belly up skid. It's a long list!

Nice.. ive got the savvy under armor and rear mc uppers sitting around with a rear mc track bar and tw driveshaft waiting in the same fashion. Wish I could afford the xurrie steering but I just picked up a zj tie rod and im hoping it'll hold up for my uses.

BGClemson 09-13-2013 10:41 AM

If you are going to do ball joints, another name I would throw out there is spicer. I have a set coming along with spicer u joints and timken unit bearings, I just figured i would go ahead and eliminate the axle as a cause of the wobble.

Ljcrawler05 09-13-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubiredJK (Post 15971545)
If you are going to do ball joints, another name I would throw out there is spicer. I have a set coming along with spicer u joints and timken unit bearings, I just figured i would go ahead and eliminate the axle as a cause of the wobble.

Part numbers for these by chance?

BGClemson 09-13-2013 11:20 AM

Timken unit bearings (HA597449)
Spicer U joints (5-760X)
Spicer ball joints (706944X) The ball joint p/n is for one complete side (upper and lower)

Ljcrawler05 09-13-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubiredJK (Post 15972681)
Timken unit bearings (HA597449)
Spicer U joints (5-760X)
Spicer ball joints (706944X) The ball joint p/n is for one complete side (upper and lower)

Thanks!!

Ljcrawler05 09-13-2013 10:43 PM

Ok so I got under it today and it seems the tb is solid, as far as I can tell the ball joints are good... The one thing that I did notice is that when I tugged a little on the ujoint on the driver's side there was a slight pop or clank sound, can't describe it up here that well, but although it was faint it was noticeable. So I suppose that this is the culprit and I will probably be ordering ujoints this evening if it is something that I can do at home. What are the tools required?

edit: based on youtube I'll need a shop press, but I think there are ways around that.

Ljcrawler05 10-06-2013 02:31 PM

So this morning when I was on the way ti church... I noticed that I had a violent shake from 40-45 mph. This was not during a turn or anything just accelerating in general. It did it for about the first 10 minutes of driving and then quit after that but all the time it was extremely bad at those speeds. This felt more like a tire out of balance but this is the first time I've had an issue like this. Its almost like it drove poorly while the car was cold. I have no idea why that would be but after driving a couple more times today it hasnt been an issue. Any input?

IslandHopper 10-06-2013 03:11 PM

Did you ever replace that U-Joint?

... if not, then it's probably a continuation of that same problem... and it will continue to get worse as time passes and the U-joint wears even more.

The time now is 06:49 AM.