Jeep will not turn over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep will not turn over

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Gewehr43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep will not turn over

Hey guys I'm at college right now and my Jeep which sits in a parking lot for a long period of time is not turning over. I usually don't drive it for 2 months, but 2 weeks ago I moved it just so nothing would go wrong and drove it around.

Today when I tried to go home the Jeep just churns and tries to start.

I thought it was the battery so I just got finished putting in a new wal-mart battery my friend drove me to buy.

What should I check out? Also, no fluid leak on the ground.

Gewehr43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Coyote56
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you try to clean out your battery cables?

If they have corrosion on them it could be causing the problem.
Coyote56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Gewehr43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, but they look pretty clean, no build up or gunk of any kind.
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Gewehr43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The new battery does it need to be jump started? Someone told me maybe the new battery needs a jump start because maybe they don't fully charge them.
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It should need a jump if new. But I'm confused. You said it won't turn over but it"churns and tries to start." So is the starter engaging and rotating the engine and it just won't fire, or does it not rotate at all?
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
BeachLivin

Try replacing the crank position sensor (CPS). My 02 TJ was doing the same thing, it shut off on me while I was driving. When I tried to start it up, it would try to start but not turn over. Long story short... I read a few forums, read a few arguments, and finally changed the CPS. That was money! The CPS is relatively easy to change. I changed mine by myself on the side of the road. Do the research, it might help. Good luck! let us know what fixes your Jeep.
BeachLivin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Gewehr43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just tried to jump it and it didn't start.

I put it in reverse to check to see if the backup lights worked and they did, I read, that would be a sign of something if the reverse lights don't work.

It cranks. I guess I used the wrong term. It just sits there and acts like it's trying to start but just churns. What's the correct term?

I replaced the CPS a couple months ago. Engine burned through it.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 02-26-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
BP88
2003 TJ Wrangler 

WalMart batteries should NOT need a jump! I worked at WalMart in the tire center and regularly performed battery installs on customers' vehicles and they would always fire up right away. I would have the battery tested to make sure it has enough power. It's possible that the battery you purchased may have been sitting for a long time. Did you check the date/year sticker on the battery? WalMart usually puts them on their batteries.
BP88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Country Boy
Bovi-sapiens

2000 WJ 

When you turn the key to the run position, can you hear the fuel pump kick in? You should hear a slight buzzing noise as it pumps up the pressure. Also, pull off one of your spark plug cables and insert a screw driver into the boot where the plug goes. Then hold the screwdriver (by the plastic handle!) a short distance from the block (maybe 1/8"). Have someone crank the Jeep and check if the spark arcs from the screw driver to the block. Alternatively, you could use a spark tester, or pull a plug, plug it back into the boot and hold the metal frame of the plug against the block of the engine. You should see a spark across the terminal when cranked. If you have neither spark nor fuel, I'd check the auto shut down relay in the power distribution box under the hood. If the relay goes bad, it will cut off spark and the fuel pump. You can swap one of the other relays in its place as many are the same.

If you are wiling to take the risk of using ether, you could shoot a couple short bursts into the air intake horn while someone cranks it. If it starts, runs a few seconds and dies, then you aren't getting fuel. Just be aware that ether can cause serious engine damage if not used correctly. NEVER shoot it into a hot engine or spray it into an intake before cranking the engine. If you do, the first piston down gets the entire shot of ether rather than it being spread across them all.

Farming is easy when your plow is a pencil and you are a thousand miles from the cornfield. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't curse the farmer with your mouth full.

Ah, cows. A thousand roast beef sandwiches wrapped in a gorgeous leather coat.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
Gewehr43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
When you turn the key to the run position, can you hear the fuel pump kick in? You should hear a slight buzzing noise as it pumps up the pressure. Also, pull off one of your spark plug cables and insert a screw driver into the boot where the plug goes. Then hold the screwdriver (by the plastic handle!) a short distance from the block (maybe 1/8"). Have someone crank the Jeep and check if the spark arcs from the screw driver to the block. Alternatively, you could use a spark tester, or pull a plug, plug it back into the boot and hold the metal frame of the plug against the block of the engine. You should see a spark across the terminal when cranked. If you have neither spark nor fuel, I'd check the auto shut down relay in the power distribution box under the hood. If the relay goes bad, it will cut off spark and the fuel pump. You can swap one of the other relays in its place as many are the same.

If you are wiling to take the risk of using ether, you could shoot a couple short bursts into the air intake horn while someone cranks it. If it starts, runs a few seconds and dies, then you aren't getting fuel. Just be aware that ether can cause serious engine damage if not used correctly. NEVER shoot it into a hot engine or spray it into an intake before cranking the engine. If you do, the first piston down gets the entire shot of ether rather than it being spread across them all.
I'm guessing I do. Everything sounds normal like it's about to start. But it just does not kick in and start running. I just removed the terminals and cleaned them and tightened them again. And I just tried to jump start the battery again. Still nothing...

I'm guessing it's not the battery but something else. Also yes the battery is new and dated 02-09. Also, I don't have any tools here just a small wrench I just bought to remove the nuts on the battery terminals.
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Gewehr43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I guess i'll try unplugging and replugging the CPS in, tomorrow. here is a video of what it is doing, if i'm not clear in my post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aM0UB_fvNM

Last edited by Gewehr43; 02-26-2009 at 10:51 PM..
Unread 02-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
Gewehr43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
I'd check the auto shut down relay in the power distribution box under the hood. If the relay goes bad, it will cut off spark and the fuel pump. You can swap one of the other relays in its place as many are the same.
I took the horns fuse and stuck it in the auto shut down and still had the same problem. So I guess it's not the fuse. i'll try the other ones you suggested tomorrow when it's light.
Unread 02-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
typersx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

it could also possibly be your coil pack went out...
typersx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
Gewehr43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by typersx View Post
it could also possibly be your coil pack went out...
How can I check that, I did a quick search and could not find it.
Unread 02-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #15
Country Boy
Bovi-sapiens

2000 WJ 

You need to find out if you are getting spark or not. Try pulling a plug like I mentioned earlier, or get a cheapo spark tester from an auto parts store. Once you figure that out, then we can proceed. Also, check to see if you have fuel pressure. On your intake manifold, there should be a tube that runs parallel to the engine and attaches to your fuel injectors. On it, there should be something that looks like a tire stem. Take off the cap, and with a screwdriver or some such thing, push the little valve in to see if fuel squirts out. You will want to stand aside as there may be a bit of pressure behind it. If the fuel squirts out then you have fuel pressure and your pump is probably good. You will need to turn the ignition key to the run position for a few seconds before trying this so the fuel pump has time to pressurize the line. I'd probably turn it back off before opening the valve just for safety.

Farming is easy when your plow is a pencil and you are a thousand miles from the cornfield. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't curse the farmer with your mouth full.

Ah, cows. A thousand roast beef sandwiches wrapped in a gorgeous leather coat.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.