Jeep wet on inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep wet on inside

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
Monrozombi

Jeep wet on inside

The floor behind my passenger seat is soaked. Yeah it rained for a few days here but there was nobody sitting there, there is nothing wet on the inside of the hardtop, and its only contained to where someone would put their feet. The lil lip on the floor that is just above the floor in the back of the jeep but below the seat is also wet. The floor behind the drivers seat is not wet nor is the seats or anythign else in the Jeep. Can anyone help me w/ this, i'mw orried because there is a weird odor starting to accumulate in the jeep, it's either the hard top or the floor and I am getting pretty p'oed at this. thanks

Tires: 33x10.5 BFG Mud Terrain
Rear End: Dana 44 rear
Monrozombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
JerseyTJChick

Is the front passenger side damp? Has it been parked on a hill with the nose up?

You might try a search for water or wet and floor. You'll find all kinds of threads. However, most of them cover the leaks on the front passenger side floor...
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
fundabug

I've had the same problem with my 2004 TJ since I got it. I followed every peice of advice on JF and still get wet behind the passenger seat. However, I did put a bead of silicon around everything coming through the firewall on both sides. That stopped all of the rain coming in when it's just sitting. I also make sure I park facing down hill in my driveway when rain is expected. I still get wet behind the passenger seat when it's raining and I'm driving down the road. I've found water coming in from the rear left passenger seat bolt. I plan on pulling the seats out and lining the entire tub this spring, but for now I just keep some fresh shop rags in my Jeep when it might rain. If I have to drive in the rain I usually stuff a couple of rags up under the carpet as close to the bolt in question as I can. They usually get wet and when I get home I just wipe up any excess moisture and take them inside to the dryer so they don't mildew. Then I spray some Fabreeze on the carpet behind the seat so it won't stink if it got a little moist. Good luck !!!!
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Monrozombi

JerseyChick, the only area that gets wet is exactly behind the passenger seat, nothing else, no dampness, nothning. I park on flat surfaces all the time unless its some place where I can't.

It poured today and i was leaving work and you could tell that the carpet was soaked to the max, the water was basically sitting on the carpet. It takes days for it to dry out. No rags will clean this up. After a day there is a funky smell. I dunno what to do.

Should I just pull the carpet and keep it out.

Put silocone aorund any welds or joints?

I can't find any help that I think will benefit but i'll keep searching.

Thanks
Unread 01-18-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a problem with the front passenger side. I'm pretty sure it was something to do with condensation or a leak from the air conditioner. I just pulled the drain plugs and all of the carpet and bought some rubber floor mats from Wal-Mart for about $18 and don't have to worry about it anymore. But I hardly run the air conditioner as it is...I just put the top down
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Toasterovin

I had the same problem with my first TJ. Its not the ac if its on the back passenger side. My jeep didn't have ac. I hit the jeep with the garden hose from underneath. Then when I looked inside, no water. However, once I drove the vehicle a block or so the water seeped in. I bought some silicone from my local parts store and put a bead down on every seam i could reach front and back. This only took about a half hour. No big deal really. This fixed the problem for me. no more wet floor.

If your leak is coming from the front and rolling to the back then check the ac drain hose thing.

Or, you could do both and be done with it.

[FONT=Arial Black]You know what they say, "everywhere you go there you are."[/FONT]
Toasterovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good idea!

I had a massive puddle last week after parking at the airport and a hard rain storm came through. I have all weather floor mats, so it was just a puddle in the front passenger side floor. I think it leaked down a wall and ended up there. Not sure where... may have to do some testing.

I might take it in to the dealer if I can't figure it out, although it seems to be common.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Jeep Novice

Heater core?

Does it smell like antifreeze?
Jeep Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
BEANS

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monrozombi
The floor behind my passenger seat is soaked. Yeah it rained for a few days here but there was nobody sitting there, there is nothing wet on the inside of the hardtop, and its only contained to where someone would put their feet. The lil lip on the floor that is just above the floor in the back of the jeep but below the seat is also wet. The floor behind the drivers seat is not wet nor is the seats or anythign else in the Jeep. Can anyone help me w/ this, i'mw orried because there is a weird odor starting to accumulate in the jeep, it's either the hard top or the floor and I am getting pretty p'oed at this. thanks

I had the same problem and found the water coming from the back tailgate running under the carpet to the passenger side rear well
JSK QUICK DISCONNECTS THAT I'LL NEVER DISCONNECT
LIMITED SLIP WITH 4.11'S FRONT AND BACK
S.Y.E
7'6" SNOWAY POLY PLOW
Elect Radiator fan on a Delta control
Borla Header, Catback Exhaust By Volant 304SS
BEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #10
xnight
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just take the carpet out dry everything, wash your jeep, and see if any water comes in or just wait for rain, thats what i did, and finally after many useless theories found out my leak was from the firewall, exactly where from in the firewall i dont know yet, but i will find out this weekend, i had another 2 leaks coming from my door frame (or so i thought), i finally realized the clamps holding down the front of my hardtop weren't tight enough, so i put a piece of rag rolled up under the hook that grabs the frame to put a little more pressure, and those leaks were gone, look at my previous post about leaks, its funny that i can wash my car and not get as much water in there as if i poured a full cup of water in the precise spot, and i could probably collect the whole cup from my front passenger floor area..........go figure

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...highlight=leak
Unread 01-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
chewrocks

I was having the same problem, water puddle in the back floor behind the seats. Couldn't find where it was coming from. It would do it when the hard top was on and it quit when I put the soft top on. I was kinda thinking it might be leaking at the little rubber piece that fits between the top and the body right at the door opening but could not find any signs of water coming from them. I think Beans might have the answer to my problem:
< I had the same problem and found the water coming from the back tailgate running under the carpet to the passenger side rear well >
Thanks
chewrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
JerseyTJChick

I ask because of the notorious 'heater fan leak.' Just get some RTV and seal that.
However, you and I are in the same boat right now. I fixed the front leak, and still have a cup of water in both the front AND back!
I pulled all of the carpet out, and waited for the rain. Right now, I believe it's coming from between the plastic door cover and the metal door frame itself. Not sure yet how (gonna have to take the door apart and hose it down to find the leak itself). Yesterday, it poured, and when I followed the water and opened the door, it was like the door itself was FILLED with water! It was just running out between the metal and plastic! It explained why there was no 'water trail.' It was running right from the door into the floor!

Pull all your carpet asap. At least the back passenger side. Fold it over itself to get it out of the way, and put something on it to hold it. Then, get about three flashlights, and next time it rains, set up camp in the rig. Wait and watch. Water will come. Have faith, grasshopper!

Then, you can start the fix process. Just remember that no matter how many times you think "I found it!", it's never found until you have taken it apart, hosed it down, and proved it! Trust me. This is 'leak' number four...but it's still the original problem...I just haven't gotten it right yet!
Unread 01-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
Monrozombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEANS
I had the same problem and found the water coming from the back tailgate running under the carpet to the passenger side rear well

If that is the case, how did you fix it? I'm goling to out now and take some pictures in the daylight and give a good look real quick, i'll be back and post some pictures
Unread 01-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #14
spderjhn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

water leak

I had a leak in the rear passenger floor board only after going to the pressure washer and I realized it was the door seal on the passenger side was faulty. hope this helps
Unread 01-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #15
Monrozombi

I think I found the problem. I think it might be coming from the passenger door. I felt the tub above the floor, in that little space. The tire iron thats velcroed to the floor was wet and the tub itself was wet. I will post some pictures then.

If this is my problem, how do I fix it, I might still have some of the warrenty left on it from when I bought it in august (6 month warranty). Is there a cheap fix that I might be able to do over the weekend?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.