Jeep vs. Truck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep vs. Truck

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-28-2003, 10:21 PM   #1
TexasJeepGuy

Jeep vs. Truck

Jeep vs. Truck. What one is better in the mud if equipped the same? What are the pros and cons of a 6cylinder Jeep vs. a V8 4x4? Thanks, Ryan

Unread 06-28-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

For mud, a truck will generally be superior when properly equipped, largely because it is easier to get bigger tires on a fullsize than a jeep. For real wheeling, though, I have found that a fullsize simply won't fit on many of the trails around here, or gets hung up on stuff because of the longer wheelbase. That's why I'm going to get rid of my Ram. I love it, but it just doesn't cut it offroad.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 05:20 AM   #3
DennisBlevins
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The short wheel base and tight turning radius on a Jeep make it the right choice for most tight trails. If you're just mud boggin' who knows, but to get there, you'll have less problems in the Jeep. I used to have a long wheelbase Dodge Power Wagon. You couldn't turn it around in a ten acre field.
Unread 06-29-2003, 06:08 AM   #4
WhatWasIThinkin

My last ride was a 99 Dodge Ram w/360 ci lifted 4". It had decent power, but both of my TJ's would eat it alive when it came to offroad manuvers. I am extreamly happy about switching to Jeep.

Todd
[size=2][color=darkolivegreen]*Engine=Stock* *Armor=OYR Rear Corners, SkidRow Engine Skid, OEM Rockers* *Lift=OME 942HD & 933HD Coils, OME N66 & N67 HD Shocks, ACOS front and rear, 1-1/4" JKS BL, JKS front Track Bar* *Tires/Wheels= 12.5x33" Interco TrXus MT's mounted on 15x8 Cragar 397 Steelies* *Bumpers and Carrier=Jeeperman Rock bumpers front and rear* * Other Stuff=1" M.O.R.E Bombproof Torsion Rubber MML, Meridian Gold GPS, CE 8k Winch*[/color][/size]
WhatWasIThinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 09:01 AM   #5
dodgestang

hehe.....I have extensive experience

For open field mud running, as much as it pains me to say, you can't touch a big beefy long wheel based truck with 38inch or better tires.

For super tight wooded trails, you can beat a little 4 banger jeep with 31-33 inch tires. Its light, leaves little foot prints and is highly manuverable around the trees and stumps.

For more used trails, rocks, stream beds, etc...a nicely setup jeep with a 6 (or 8 conversion) and 35 inch tires is hard to top. Not too much lift to make it overly top heavy, plenty of grip, lotsa torque, and the short wheel base makes steep embankments dissappear. I ran my truck up a steep embankment from an old crick once and literally put the rear bumper on the ground (dragged it for a good 12-16 inches before the whole truck was on the hill and scooped up about 50 pounds worth of sand/pebbles/dirt), put an air bubble in my fuel lines, and bent an exhaust pipe, the same slope was nothing to the jeep.
65, 67, 68 Mustang Fastbacks
dodgestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.