Jeep vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep vibration

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep vibration

I bought a 2003 TJ that has a vibration that starts at 63 mph. The Jeep is stock, no lift, Rubicon wheels with 245/70/16 tires. I have tried 3 different sets of tires, rims aren't bent, steering is tight. Jeep goes down the road straight, doesn't pull, and tires are wearing evenly. It has 60,000 miles on it, 52,000 when I bought it.
It is not the death wobble, and is NOT caused by hitting bumps in the road. If I go faster, the vibration doesn't get any worse. If I hit bumps the vibration doesn't get any worse. As soon as slow to 60 mph it drives smooth and quiet, and I can hit bumps with no vibration or death wobble.
I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel, but the whole Jeep is vibrating. So I don't know if the vibration that I am feeling in the steering wheel is because of the whole Jeep vibrating. When the Jeep is vibrating I can let go of the steering wheel and it will go straight.
The Jeep doesn't look like it has ever been off road or abused. There are no scratches on any part of the under carriage (skid plate, oil pan, axle diffs, steering linkage, ect...) and all of the stock stickers are still on all the parts (shocks, steering stabilizer, axles, driveshaft’s, ect...)
So far I have tried 3 different sets of tires(geolander ats, general grabbers at's, and now have kumohs at's). I just installed a new steering stabilizer with no help.
So I am thinking something is the driveline...driveshaft maybe? It can get expensive throwing parts at a problem trying to fix it. Anyone have this problem?

jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

remove the front driveshaft and see if the vibes go away. if so, problem found - bad u-joint and/or unbalanced. if that doesn't fix it...remove the rear driveshaft and go for a drive in 4wd (FWD)...same scenario.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
markus05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem twice. The first time was unbalanced tires, the second my U-Joints were bad.
markus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know its been a while since I started this thread. I removed the front driveshaft and my vibration is still there. I can't feel any play in the rear u joints. There is a little play in the transfercase tail shaft...bad bearing?

So I figured I would install a sye. I had settled on a JB Conversions super short sye, but it seams as if they are out of stock right now. Any other recommendations on a sye, or super short sye?
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin86 View Post
I know its been a while since I started this thread. I removed the front driveshaft and my vibration is still there. I can't feel any play in the rear u joints. There is a little play in the transfercase tail shaft...bad bearing?

So I figured I would install a sye. I had settled on a JB Conversions super short sye, but it seams as if they are out of stock right now. Any other recommendations on a sye, or super short sye?
SYE and CV driveshaft and rear adjustable control arms on a stock, non lifted jeep does not seem like the fix to your problem to me. Did you try pulling rear driveshaft and drive in 4H? I bet if you do that your vibe will still be there. Sounds like either a wheel balance issue (suggest trying road force balancing) or a front end issue (e.g. trackbar, control arm, etc.). I'm afraid you're going to spend a decent chunk of money on that stuff for your rear driveline and its not going to fix your problem.
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
SYE and CV driveshaft and rear adjustable control arms on a stock, non lifted jeep does not seem like the fix to your problem to me. Did you try pulling rear driveshaft and drive in 4H? I bet if you do that your vibe will still be there. Sounds like either a wheel balance issue (suggest trying road force balancing) or a front end issue (e.g. trackbar, control arm, etc.). I'm afraid you're going to spend a decent chunk of money on that stuff for your rear driveline and its not going to fix your problem.
I don't know how I am going to remove the rear driveshift without loosing the transfercase fluid. I have checked everything in the front end, and everything is tight. The u joints in the front axles have a little play, and I need to replace them. Like I stated before I am on my 3rd set of tires and the vibration is at the same speed. I haven't done a road force balance yet. I need to find a shop that does that.

This is my 3rd TJ and I haven't had a problem like this with any of them. I also own a 1979 fiberglass CJ5 with 10 inches of suspension lift and a built 401. I can drive down the road at 80 mph, with no vibration, pulling...hands off the wheel.

If I can't find the problem with my TJ, I guess I will be looking for my 4th TJ.
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
97tjtom
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same problem, its the rear DS ujoints.
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
97tjtom
1999 TJ Wrangler 

and the DS comes out without losing fluid. the tcase has its own seal rather than how it was witht the older design.
Unread 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem with a rhythmic pulsing vibration felt through the steering wheel.

Things I tried to get rid of them included the usual tire balancing, unit bearing replacement, more carefully torquing the lug nuts on the wheels, control arm bushing replacement, driving with no front driveshaft and probably more things I can't think of right now. Nothing cured this vibe.

Enter the Savvy/Currie Ultimate Currectlync system: It's basically a Currectlync with a 4340 heat treated tie rod. It went on pretty easily and bolted on in place of the stock system, exactly as the instructions state. The vibe is now long gone, and it cruises smoothly on highways.

I'm not suggesting you need something like I bought, but don't rule out worn steering components. I don't understand the mechanism by which it made the vibes rhythmic, but they are definitely gone.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will look at the rear driveshaft next. I still may install a SYE. I have a couple of cv stlye drivshafts that I can have cut and rebalanced. I don't like the big harmonic balancer looking thing attached to the stock driveshaft anyway. And I'll have a SYE allready installed for when I do lift the Jeep. I won't be going big, just 4 inches and 33s and 4.10 gears.
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

sorry double post
Unread 06-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I changed the rear driveshaft u joints, and vibration is still there.
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Vibrations at certain speeds are usually wheel/tire related. Get up to speed, come off the throttle. If the vibrations go away its driveline issues (DS or U-joint). If you still get the sensation its wheel or tire. Try rebalancing.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When I push the cluth in the vibes do not stop, only when I get under 60 mph. This is my 3rd set of tires and I just had them balanced and rotated. I am running Rubicon wheels, and the tire shop said they are running straight.

I might try putting the Jeep up on jack stands and running it to see if I can see what is vibrating. I just have to talk my wife into running it.
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #15
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Unit bearings?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.