jeep vibrating when coming to a complete stop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep vibrating when coming to a complete stop

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 05-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
tedsarsfield
2000 TJ Wrangler 

jeep vibrating when coming to a complete stop

i have a 2000 tj with 6 cyl, 4" suspension lift, 33x12.5 r15 baja claw tires, SYE kit, tires are new and balanced, brakes and rotors are new, also u-joints are new (spicer).
the problem is that when coming to a stop 10 mph and less, i feel and hear a bad vibration. it gets annoying, and its everytime i stop. i changed the brakes, rotors and tires and put that SYE in to try and stop it, but its still there. i found that the lift brakett for the rear stabiliizer bar was loose, so i tightened it up but it still vibrates. can anyone tell me whats might be the problem so i can quit changing stuff that doesnt help, i going broke here.
thanks!

tedsarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You feel the vibrations in the steering? You feel the vibrations in the body of the vehicle? You feel the vibrations in the brake pedal?
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You need to post more info.
Is the vibes in the steering wheel?
Did you do the rear brakes also?
Did you set your pinion slope to match or just below the slope of the rear CV driveshaft?
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does the jeep have ABS? If so, you may be having a false ABS activation caused by a weak sensor at one of the wheels.

Curly
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
tedsarsfield
2000 TJ Wrangler 

feel it in the body not in the steering nor the brakes.
jeep doesnt have abs and the pinion is ok.
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
ble10
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Engine/Transmission mount?
ble10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Delta9
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing it's your baja claw lugs. If so, you could try airing your tires up more. Some tires just do that no matter what.

Edit: or try some different tires from another Jeeper. I recently aired my tires down a little more, and started getting the vibes from the lugs (xterrains). Not enough to bug me tho.

Edit edit: Now that I think about it, my buddy had a 2 door tahoe with baja claws, that rattled the truck like crazy on every stop.
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
conquest255
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running 35" claws and mine do the same thing just before coming to a complete stop. I'm guessing inherent to the tread pattern.
conquest255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
tedsarsfield
2000 TJ Wrangler 

maybe it is the tires after all, i thought it might not be since it did it with the other tires (truxus all terrains) but they had a some what directional tread too. one other thing i noticed was the driver side u joint front axle, the ones on the ends of the axle, has a little play in it, could that be the cause?
Unread 05-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Having a bad u-joint won't help anything. Regardless of your vibes, fix it before it fails and causes other issues.

It is possible that your vibes are coming from the bad u-joint....I wouldn't say a high possibility, but one never knows for sure.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Mbseven
2003 XJ Cherokee 

jeep vibrating when coming to a complete stop

I simpathize wih you!! I just went through the same thing with my jeep and like you, I thought it was the brakes, tires etc. After spending money replacing all those things I finally took it to a shop to have them look at it and it turned out to be the transmission needed an overhaul. Now I'm debating if I should do a complete overhaul or start with flushing it and replacing the filter. But yea it's definately not the tires or brakes.
Mbseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stopping , sye , vibration

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.