Jeep Turn over after getting stuck but won't start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Turn over after getting stuck but won't start.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Turn over after getting stuck but won't start.

I went four wheeling this weekend and got into a little mud. My Jeep was running when I got pulled out but would not start once I killed it. After inspecting the Jeep I noticed the battery tray had loosened and the positive terminal had arced onto the fender. I also smelled a little burnt electrical. So far I have done the following trouble shooting...
-I did not get into any water and checked the obvious places to make sure water was not the culprit.

- I have pressure at the fuel rail and can hear the pump turning on. I did the turn the key three times trick and did not get any codes.

-My lights work fine as do all accessories.

-I researched a little and replaced the ignition coil and battery.

-Once that did not work I bought a multimeter and measured 10 volts off the coil and same through the wire from the coil to the distributor cap. However, nothing out of the distributor itself.

I do not really know much about the electrical aspect of my Jeep but I am learning as I go. Could the culprit be my distributor?

As always any input will be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

ArmyFO13F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFO13F View Post
I did the turn the key three times trick and did not get any codes.
That doesn't work on 1998-2000 TJ's, you need an OBD II code reader.

How many volts are in your battery?...
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have to check it but I bought a brand new battery today so it should be fine.
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also, thanks for the heads up about the key trick not working. One of the guys who helped pull me out told me about it. He has a 97 TJ so it worked for him. Good to know.
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFO13F View Post
Also, thanks for the heads up about the key trick not working. One of the guys who helped pull me out told me about it. He has a 97 TJ so it worked for him. Good to know.
That's one of the tricks of the trade you'll learn on this forum and you're welcome...
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Turning over and not starting or not turning over at all?

Did you check the starter? Bang on it a few times with a hammer and see if it is stuck. Are the wires getting hot when you try starting it?

MUD will and can kill a starter.

Just reread your post and I see it turns over but won't start.

Check and make sure all the connections are CLEAN and tight and you didn't kill the wiring to your starter and solenoid.

Dirty or bad Crank position sensor is very possible.
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just got back from renting an OBDII scanner and it came back with no code given. I will check the starter connections and bang on it in a few. It is raining here pretty bad. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what happens.
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do not bang on the starter. Check the wiring running to the starter. There will be a plug on the passenger side inner fender. The connection could have pulled loose.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The plug is on there. I even disconnected and reconnected it. Still wont start. I can't check the voltage because its pouring rain outside. The tow driver wouldn't put it in my drive way so I could push it into the garage. So its stuck on the curb for now. Any more ideas?
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
NewbJeepGuy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you spark plugs don't spark it could either be your CPS or Distributor cap since everything else seems to have power coil etc..

Also just to be sure i would take your distributor cap off and turn it over to make sure your rotor inside is turning
NewbJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I checked the rotor to ensure it was dry and turning on the trail. Guess I should have posted that on my troubleshooting/first post. It does turn but there is no spark at the plugs. I have been looking at youtube while the rain passes and it does look like it could be a CPS issue. That is my next step. You guys have really helped me troubleshoot this issue. Hopefully we figure it out and I can post a victory post.
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Found this on another forum. Has me wondering since I was riding at the Red River when this occurred....

There are some cases when the CPS works intermittently. Sometimes the wire is broken or the connector contacts are oxidated. Another rare case is whan you have dirt with high content of iron (red sands) in the bellhousing. The dirt goes to fill some of the grooves of the reluctor ring and the readings are staggered.
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Checked to CPS with the multimeter and had infinite resistance which means it should be good. I'll look at the distributor once more and maybe even just replace it.
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Took the CPS out cleaned it and inspected it. About half way down the wires are melted together.... Seems to be the culprit so off to the parts store to get another one.
Unread 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It was the CPS. Put new one in cranked right up! Thanks for the assistance for everybody who helped, much appreciated!

Tags
coil , electrical , short

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.