Jeep TJ Wrangler 1997 -2004 ,V-6 Conversion Package , Retaining the Stock Jeep 5?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ Wrangler 1997 -2004 ,V-6 Conversion Package , Retaining the Stock Jeep 5??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Travisray91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ Wrangler 1997 -2004 ,V-6 Conversion Package , Retaining the Stock Jeep 5??

Hey everyone,

Had my jeep since 98' and been LOVIN it. Only problem is... I got a 4-cyl. Now I know i need to upgrade as my miles are starting to climb. I wanted to Switch my current IL 4cyl to a 6 cyl preferrably a new engine. Anyone know of great sites to by engine replacement kits? i Just want to buy everything i need (including block, mounting brackets, etc...).

If anyone has any feedback i would appreaciate it!

Thanks,

Travis Ray

Travisray91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you can buy a complete V8 conversion kit from AEV or Burnsville Off-Road I would think. Pretty sure you need to source the engine, tranny and t-case though. If you're going to do it, don't go with a V6, just get it over with and go V8.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
scottrx7tt

im sure you already know this, but the 4.0L is an inline 6
scottrx7tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Unlimited04, do a V8 swap.

You would probably get tired of the I6 pretty quick.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

not to be disagreeable. but i went from a 2.5 to 4.0, and i find the 4.0 to be more than adequate. i am sure the v8's are awesome power wise...but not everyone needs that.
gensysmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think if I were going to all that trouble I would do a 318 from a durango or ram.
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you are going to go through the trouble to source the parts, weld in new mounts, replace the transmission, transfer case (or just the input), and computer plus wiring.

Why wouldn't you just put in a V8? There are plenty of them out there. Are you worried about smog and all that CA inspection stuff? Because I'm pretty sure you are going to need to do the same VIN flashing on the computer as you would with the 4.0L.

Or just do what you want. I don't see the point though.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
SamM

What about using the Jeep Liberty 3.7L V-6? My wife's Liberty has plenty of power. In the lighter TJ platform the 3.7L and a NV3550 5-speed would been a great combination. Add in a Warn lock-in, lock-out hub conversion and it may even get decent fuel economy. The Liberty came with the NV3550 and the engines are cheap to source at local swap yards. Cheap enough that I could have on rebuild and sitting ready to go in the event of an engine failure.

Using a less powerful engine means that I could get away with out doing expensive axle swaps and upgrades just to keep my axles from failing. In the end, I'd probably still buy a Dana 44 for the rear but a high pinion XJ front axle would work in the front. I can get the high pinion D30 for $50.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would go with a 99+ 5.9 out of a ram pickup, or van! Take all the emissions stuff, engine harness, pcm and accessories! You need an engine the same model year or newer to pass smog in ca.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

Some of the V8's will increase your gas mileage as well as power. The 4.7L Power Tech gets better gas mileage than the 4.0. One of the things I wanted to do to my Cherokee before I got rid of it was to swap in a diesel. Great low end torque and much better gas mileage than a gas motor. Either way is good. As much as the 4.0 is a good motor, I wouldn't bother with it.
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the others, if you are going to go through all the hassle of swapping out the engine, just go for a GM GenIII small block.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out Advance Adapters and Novak Adapters. They not only sell adapters and such, but are a wealth of conversion information.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/

http://www.novak-adapt.com/
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
acrijos
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try Golen engines at http://www.golenengineservice.com/engines/jeep/. You can get a stock 4.0 or a stroked 4.6. They have a lot of experience with jeeps. They also sell turnkey V8 engines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.