Jeep TJ Wheel/Tire Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ Wheel/Tire Help

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 02-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Marine8154Vet
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ Wheel/Tire Help

So I have a 2002 Wrangler Sport that I am turning into a Rubicon clone. It's a project of mine and I need some help on tires. I know there are tons of threads out there with info, but I'm not the best with tires and could use some specialized help. I bought a set of stock 03-06 Moab wheels (16x8) and want to put tires that are one size taller and wider than the stock Rubicon's if I can. I do not want the possibility of them rubbing. Can someone help me with the correct size tire to get? I would be very appreciative of any help you could offer. Thank you.

Marine8154Vet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Factory Rubys came with metric (LT245/75/16) equivalents to 31" tall tires, which is the largest on a stock TJ, Ruby or not.

A stock TJ can generally run 31"x10.5" without any problems.

If you wanted to go taller, you may get some rubbing without some kind of lift and spacers.

245/75/16 converts to 30.5"x9.65"x16. You may can find a size that is a little closer to 31" and you can go as wide as 10.5"

Here's a handy link that let's you covert sizes.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Marine8154Vet
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So what if instead of a stock MOAB wheel I went with the Mamba MR1X with the 5" backspacing? What is the largest size tire can I run then?
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Marine8154Vet
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Or 4.5" backspacing rather. I am just confused. If anyone can point me in the direction of a tire/backspacing chart for various lift heights I would be very appreciative. I am trying to get this all figured out before I leave for training.
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine8154Vet View Post
Or 4.5" backspacing rather. I am just confused. If anyone can point me in the direction of a tire/backspacing chart for various lift heights I would be very appreciative. I am trying to get this all figured out before I leave for training.
Less BS will generally help you run a wider tire (and help with a taller tire when turning), but without some lift a taller tire is going to be tough overall.
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
SCWrangler01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have also been researching lifts/tire/wheel combos & it is a little intimidating. No one wants to make an investment in either & have rubbing issues. I found a great deal on a set of 06 Rubi wheels with (33") KM2s but with just a 2" BB or OME coil/shock kit I feel these would rub on my 01 TJ due to the 5" backspacing.
SCWrangler01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If you plan on building it up in the future, Go with a 15" wheel in 3.75" backspacing. That way if you go to a 12.50 wide tire you wont have to cut your turning radius down with steering stops or rub on the control arms.

If all you want it stock suspension and not going to lift, You can fit 32-11.50-15's with 4.5" but 4" backspacing would fit better and not rub. You will rub off road, But nothing too serious unless you disconnect. This would be more for a DD/stalky tough look.

You can also run a 31-10.50-15 on a 10" wide wheel and get the wide tough look, I have a TJ with that set up and works great for DD/mild off road. I don't recommend it though, Too many problems can happen unless you know what you are in for.

Are you going to lift it in the future or is wheels and tires the furthest you are going?
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
Marine8154Vet
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome suggestions. I plan on eventually putting a mild lift. Most likely a 1.25" body lift and then a 2-3" suspension lift. That won't be happening for a while now. I really have my mind set on the 16" Moab look. I don't personally want the 15' combination. So to be clear, as long as I'm not trailing my Jeep too hard, with 4.5" backspacing I can run a 32" tire 11.5" wide?

Also, what do you mean disconnect? I'm not familiar with the term.
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to TJ Forum since this question is TJ specific.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
Patrick H

2001 TJ Wrangler 

LT265/75R16 is roughly equivalent to a 32X10.50, which would be about an inch taller, and an inch wider than the stock LT245/75R16 that came on the Rubicon.
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have an '04 Rubi with 44K miles and am on my 4th set of tires. As you can imagine it's not because I wear them out. I just kept wanting to go bigger.
My first replacements were 285/75R16 MTR's on the factory MOAB wheel. About 33x11.5. Rubbed a little but if that bothers you, you can adjust your steering stops.
You can go even bigger like 315/75R16 with wheel spacers. Look into that though. Wheel spacers is something I wouldn't do.
After that I got different wheels with less backspacing and eventually ended up with 35x12.5's
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.