jeep tj ticking noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep tj ticking noise

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
fouillard13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

jeep tj ticking noise

I have a 1998 jeep tj 2.5 l manual. It has a knock that sounds just like this

I have read a lot of forums and commented but figure i should make my own.

Mine sounds just like the video but not as loud. Its not as loud when its in my heated shop. It happens when I start it up and idle.Some times it wont do it when i first fire it up but then it will do it when im idling at a stop.

I have a few questions

I think its either my lifters or injectors...

1. are the injectors and lifters easy to replace?
2. If i took the valve cover off and ran it would I be able to here if its the lifters?
3. how long does it take to do lifters and or injectors.

[IMG][/IMG]

I know this is a HUGE jeep thing and I wouldn't mind fixing it. I am going to buy a stethoscope and see if i can determine where its coming from. The jeep doesn't burn or leak any oil. It has good compression to.

I am going to be looking into it a bit more tomorrow. Hopefully determine what it is.

Heres a picture of it

fouillard13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Cesaros
2000 TJ Wrangler 

injectors are easy to replace.

if its just a tick, you'll probably never get rid of it. but good luck.
Cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
fouillard13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks i am going to be working on it today hopefully doing the durango box mod
fouillard13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Djay101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ive got the exact sound on my 1998 jeep tj 2.5 and believe it or not ive seen a few of the same motors doing the exact same sound. I think the light tick is common with the 2.5 amc motors. If there is a cure let me know!! Bardhall dont work noisy lifter lube works for few weeks then back to same noise. got o2 sensor issue right now...
Djay101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
possman18360

do you have the correct weight oil in it?
possman18360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Djay101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

tried all different kinds, have 10 w 30 regular right now...
i try different every oil change.. did 3 oil changes this past summer and still no difference
Djay101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
smith329
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is exactly how mine started sounding. It was in storage for 11 months and I had put stabil in, but I have driven 700+ miles with multiple tanks of gas and no issues. Then it started getting a bit colder (30ish) and the tick started, which i have heard before. then yesterday it was a louder tick, now it sounds like a knocking like the video. It also sounds like metal on metal kinda if you really listen.

Any suggestions?
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Try sea foam, it will clean out any build up. So if its an oil delivery problem it should solve it
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
smith329
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Where should I put the seafoam in the gas or directly into the oil? If I pour into the oil, how much of the can.

Thanks in advanced,
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would go about75% in the fuel and about 20 in the oil and pour about a oz in the throttle body
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
smith329
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Griff,

Thank! I will give it a shot.

Also, this all started a yesterday morning when the faint tick started a bit louder. I checked the oil when on the slight incline and it said 'add' but when i checked it when it was flat it said 'safe'. I can't imagine this is the cause of the ticking, being that the Jeeps are for offroading and the surface is not always flat, makes me beleive that this seafoam may help with the gunk.

Thanks for the help and ill report back if this works
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
txjeep0923
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Both my 1999 WJ 4.0 and 04' Rubicon have that tick. Ive had it checked out from a few mechanics and all have different opinions, everything from lifters to wrong weight oil. From the posts i've read on here its pretty common and hard to get rid of. Guess i'll try the Seafoam as well.
txjeep0923 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a tick that everyone was calling lifters until it escalated to a tick/squeal and we were able to chase it with an engine stethoscope. Turned out to be my distributor, failing bearing on the shaft. My hearing isn't good enough to pick anything useful out of your video, but just letting you know of another possibility, especially if you are now also hearing anything metallic sounding along with the tick.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the tick in my 03 rubi, and i ran sea foam in it. And it was gone.
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
smith329
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I had a tick that everyone was calling lifters until it escalated to a tick/squeal and we were able to chase it with an engine stethoscope. Turned out to be my distributor, failing bearing on the shaft. My hearing isn't good enough to pick anything useful out of your video, but just letting you know of another possibility, especially if you are now also hearing anything metallic sounding along with the tick.
Thats interesting, I stopped by this morning at a auto place and one of the mechanics was kind enough to take a quick listen said sticky lifter or bad bearing.

Did you just replace the entire distributor? I have not done that yet, do I just buy a new cap and rotor, unplug the battery connection, and make sure the wires match up and undo some screws on the distributor? Did your metal on metal contact disappear after you replaced the distributor?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.