Jeep Tj Supercharger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj Supercharger

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-14-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
KEATSKI

Jeep Tj Supercharger

Have a "97" with the 4.0 liter engine. Have any of you put on a Supercharger or Turbo on this engine. Saw an article in a magazine and couldn't reach the manufacturer. Any thought on it? What is the cost, can do yourself and is it worth it?

KEATSKI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
ace2222

Is it worth it depends .. I have been looking in to the avenger system!!!! I don't know if you can install it yourself and I think I was given a price of 3300 for the avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEATSKI
Have a "97" with the 4.0 liter engine. Have any of you put on a Supercharger or Turbo on this engine. Saw an article in a magazine and couldn't reach the manufacturer. Any thought on it? What is the cost, can do yourself and is it worth it?
ace2222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #3
BearClaw

If you just off road, you don't need any of that. A nice set of gears will give you all the power you'll need.
If you want to embarrass some fixed up import or whatever you might have next to you under a red light... here are some available for a TJ

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews...rxengineering/

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/news/avenger01/

http://www.vincihiperformance.com/SUVMAINPAGE.HTML

just few...I'm sure you'll find more with if you just do a search for it.

I'm thinking about the first one, factor x engineering
BearClaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 06:46 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For that kind of money, I'd go for a nice Chevy V8 350 any day.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2003, 07:56 AM   #5
GoTopless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEATSKI
why would you want to do that? Jeeps are not made for speed......look at it, its a big box! Get a honda

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2003, 08:23 AM   #6
kdavis

Agree with Jerry...if you're going to drop that kind of coin, and you're trying to get raw power, you'd be better off with a crate motor 350 from Summit or something. It's probably more work, but the 350 is the has more parts available for juicing it up than any other motor out there, and it's a great motor.

I also agree, though, it's a waste of money, imho, just seems like you're trying to get your TJ to do something it wasn't meant to...buy an old Chevelle, Nova, or something like that for going fast....

Or, come by, drive my 2.5L for a week and then you'll feel better about your 4.0L.
Cragar Soft 8's, High Tech Retreading OTR Muds, New Front End
What I Do: MT Web Guy
kdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2003, 08:26 AM   #7
GoTopless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis

I also agree, though, it's a waste of money, imho, just seems like you're trying to get your TJ to do something it wasn't meant to...buy an old Chevelle, Nova, or something like that for going fast....
<dreams of owning a nova or chevelle>

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
Unread 08-15-2003, 08:33 AM   #8
kdavis

I've had 2 1967 Chevelle's that I did frame-offs on...did the same motor set up on both...350ci, ~375HP....ahhhh, I can still see the "chirp" marks from the shift points down my little street....

<wake up>

I'm old, I guess, the 4cyc does it just fine for me now....

Cragar Soft 8's, High Tech Retreading OTR Muds, New Front End
What I Do: MT Web Guy
kdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2003, 09:17 AM   #9
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTopless
why would you want to do that? Jeeps are not made for speed......look at it, its a big box! Get a honda
*This just in*
Hondas are not fast.

I sold my 12 sec. camaro to pay for my lift and tires and such. I miss the power of that car... it was getting close to 400 lbs of torque.
Unread 08-15-2003, 09:23 AM   #10
GoTopless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
*This just in*
Hondas are not fast.
i wouldnt know......im not into the ricers, everyone one around here seems to think they are fast

Unread 08-15-2003, 09:45 AM   #11
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearClaw
I'm thinking about the first one, factor x engineering
Unless you are planning on drag racing, I wouldn't get a centrifugal type blower. A roots blower offers more of the type of power you would need, full boost at a low RPM and a flat torque curve all the way across the entire RPM range. This would make it alot easier to turn those bigger tires.
Unread 08-15-2003, 10:19 AM   #12
AggieTJ

Let me throw in my two cents:

A supercharger is something I wouldn't disagree with. With bigger tires, you'll lose highway passing power. There are some SLOW people out there who don't move over and hold up traffic. If your power suffers enough with the addition of bigger tires, it might be helpful to install a supercharger for those blasts past slow-folks and 18-wheelers.

I'd like to have my Jeep drivable to the trail, and not just a trailer rig, so extra power is something I'll consider in the future when I lift my rig. In stock form, the Wrangler has some nice get up and go. A better exhaust might help a little as well.

Don't laugh, but has anyone ever considered a nitrous system for those quick highway blasts?
Unread 08-15-2003, 10:23 AM   #13
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTJ
Let me throw in my two cents:

A supercharger is something I wouldn't disagree with. With bigger tires, you'll lose highway passing power. There are some SLOW people out there who don't move over and hold up traffic. If your power suffers enough with the addition of bigger tires, it might be helpful to install a supercharger for those blasts past slow-folks and 18-wheelers.

I'd like to have my Jeep drivable to the trail, and not just a trailer rig, so extra power is something I'll consider in the future when I lift my rig. In stock form, the Wrangler has some nice get up and go. A better exhaust might help a little as well.

Don't laugh, but has anyone ever considered a nitrous system for those quick highway blasts?
Let's see, Supercharger = $4000. Gears = $1200. You can do the same thing with new gears. I'd do gears instead.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2003, 10:29 AM   #14
ian-X

I disagree with jerry on this. one of the major advantages of running a centrifugal blower is that you can drive your vehicle normally all day long without using much boost, but when you do need it it'll be there. unlike a 350, it's going to be a gas hog no matter what, with your 4.0L low RPM's will keep that in check. so if you decide to tow, or need more power crawling in 4-low, you put it in a lower gear and get a dramatic torque boost.

also, another major concern is weight. a 350 weighs more so the swap out will not only be the actual fitment of the motor but a replacement of your front springs(maybe just a spacer).

and as Owen says, what good what a thread be with some pictures. this is what I was running on my 5.9L dakota before I sold it. stock the motor was 255hp(crank), with the blower it was 350hp(crank). after a few more mods and the blower is dyno'd 350 at the rear wheels.

Last edited by ian-X; 08-15-2003 at 11:40 AM..
ian-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2003, 10:49 AM   #15
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Would that be a Powerdyne SC ian-X?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.