Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Tj Supercharger

43K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  JeepCrawler_98 
#1 ·
Have a "97" with the 4.0 liter engine. Have any of you put on a Supercharger or Turbo on this engine. Saw an article in a magazine and couldn't reach the manufacturer. Any thought on it? What is the cost, can do yourself and is it worth it?

#2 ·
Is it worth it depends .. I have been looking in to the avenger system!!!! I don't know if you can install it yourself and I think I was given a price of 3300 for the avenger

KEATSKI said:
Have a "97" with the 4.0 liter engine. Have any of you put on a Supercharger or Turbo on this engine. Saw an article in a magazine and couldn't reach the manufacturer. Any thought on it? What is the cost, can do yourself and is it worth it?

#3 ·
If you just off road, you don't need any of that. A nice set of gears will give you all the power you'll need.
If you want to embarrass some fixed up import or whatever you might have next to you under a red light...:) here are some available for a TJ

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/factorxengineering/

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/news/avenger01/

http://www.vincihiperformance.com/SUVMAINPAGE.HTML

just few...I'm sure you'll find more with if you just do a search for it.

I'm thinking about the first one, factor x engineering :)

#5 ·
KEATSKI said:
why would you want to do that? Jeeps are not made for speed......look at it, its a big box! Get a honda :D

#6 ·
Agree with Jerry...if you're going to drop that kind of coin, and you're trying to get raw power, you'd be better off with a crate motor 350 from Summit or something. It's probably more work, but the 350 is the has more parts available for juicing it up than any other motor out there, and it's a great motor.

I also agree, though, it's a waste of money, imho, just seems like you're trying to get your TJ to do something it wasn't meant to...buy an old Chevelle, Nova, or something like that for going fast....

Or, come by, drive my 2.5L for a week and then you'll feel better about your 4.0L. :p

#11 ·
BearClaw said:
I'm thinking about the first one, factor x engineering :)
Unless you are planning on drag racing, I wouldn't get a centrifugal type blower. A roots blower offers more of the type of power you would need, full boost at a low RPM and a flat torque curve all the way across the entire RPM range. This would make it alot easier to turn those bigger tires.

#12 ·
Let me throw in my two cents:

A supercharger is something I wouldn't disagree with. With bigger tires, you'll lose highway passing power. There are some SLOW people out there who don't move over and hold up traffic. If your power suffers enough with the addition of bigger tires, it might be helpful to install a supercharger for those blasts past slow-folks and 18-wheelers.

I'd like to have my Jeep drivable to the trail, and not just a trailer rig, so extra power is something I'll consider in the future when I lift my rig. In stock form, the Wrangler has some nice get up and go. A better exhaust might help a little as well.

Don't laugh, but has anyone ever considered a nitrous system for those quick highway blasts?

#13 ·
AggieTJ said:
Let me throw in my two cents:

A supercharger is something I wouldn't disagree with. With bigger tires, you'll lose highway passing power. There are some SLOW people out there who don't move over and hold up traffic. If your power suffers enough with the addition of bigger tires, it might be helpful to install a supercharger for those blasts past slow-folks and 18-wheelers.

I'd like to have my Jeep drivable to the trail, and not just a trailer rig, so extra power is something I'll consider in the future when I lift my rig. In stock form, the Wrangler has some nice get up and go. A better exhaust might help a little as well.

Don't laugh, but has anyone ever considered a nitrous system for those quick highway blasts?
Let's see, Supercharger = $4000. Gears = $1200. You can do the same thing with new gears. I'd do gears instead.

#14 · (Edited)
I disagree with jerry on this. one of the major advantages of running a centrifugal blower is that you can drive your vehicle normally all day long without using much boost, but when you do need it it'll be there. unlike a 350, it's going to be a gas hog no matter what, with your 4.0L low RPM's will keep that in check. so if you decide to tow, or need more power crawling in 4-low, you put it in a lower gear and get a dramatic torque boost.

also, another major concern is weight. a 350 weighs more so the swap out will not only be the actual fitment of the motor but a replacement of your front springs(maybe just a spacer).

and as Owen says, what good what a thread be with some pictures. this is what I was running on my 5.9L dakota before I sold it. stock the motor was 255hp(crank), with the blower it was 350hp(crank). after a few more mods and the blower is dyno'd 350 at the rear wheels.

#18 ·
Some people got the wrong idea what the Jeep's all about, V8’s, Turbos, super this super that, even NOS (you sure wanna die young) anyone try to squeeze in a jet engine? :) ...I can't believe I have to type that in this forum...sheeeesh Jeep=outdoor fun, rocks, mud, family & friends fun...etc

The part about me thinking to get that supercharger was joke, no way in hell i'm paying that much cash for something I don't need.

As far as highway drive goes, my rig is the only transportation I've got. It’s a 02 TJ and I've already put on 58000+ miles on it. Got the Jeep on the October of 2001. But anyway...right away I went for the 4" Skyjacker soft ride with 33" Procomp Mud Terrains. I had 3.73 gears stock and it was killing me on the up hills and gas mileage, plus I damn near forgot that I had a 5th gear. After some thought, I went for 4.56's and OX lockers. I don't think I’m ever going to change this setup since it's an awesome crawler on the rocks and has all the power I need on the highway. Not to mention that almost everywhere I take the rig, I get complements on how proportional the Jeep looks, not too tall or low, good for off and on road, no fat 40” + tires to make it a small winnable monster truck...you get the idea.

I'd have to agree with the rest here, get a hotrod and race that, but keep the Jeep offroad and on the rocks. That’s where it belongs. You don't see a Corvette with some lift and mudders offroading do you? :) although that would be kind of cool :) <--- another joke...

Not to go on forever here, but that’s how I think of the Jeeps.

#19 ·
So I guess you think everything with a SC or turbo is race only? I guess all those people with turbo diesel trucks got ripped off then thinking they were buying a truck to tow and or haul things? :rolleyes:

#20 ·
BearClaw said:
Some people got the wrong idea what the Jeep's all about, V8's, Turbos, super this super that, even NOS (you sure wanna die young) anyone try to squeeze in a jet engine? :) ...I can't believe I have to type that in this forum...sheeeesh Jeep=outdoor fun, rocks, mud, family & friends fun...etc
i guess you've never seen a super charged V-6 rock buggy before.

#21 ·
Who’s talking about buggies?
And who’s talking about trucks hauling things?
…ummm yeah an 18 wheeler needs a turbo as well…and?

Talking about Jeeps here man.
My point was that it’s an overkill to have all that power on a Jeep if you are going to simply offroad with it. If it’s just the thought that you’re packin tons of horsepower under that hood, that’s a different case. Hell, a totally stock on the engine TJ with just a lift some MTR’s and locked rear, (don’t even need the front locked) will go anywhere that a V8 Jeep with 500, 600 or whatever HP it may have would, wouldn’t you agree?

I personally buy upgrades that I need, not if it would be cool to have or I just want it and don’t know what else to buy.

#22 ·
just because you don't NEED something doesn't mean someone else doesn't. i can definately see a use for a supercharger on certain applications, such as jeeps with 40" tires.

the picture of the supercharged 5.9 i posted was on a 4 wheel drive truck, it made towing much easier and the extra horse power very nice to have. in fact, i did quite a bit of research when i sold the truck because initially i was going to put it on the jeep, unfortunately the cost of making new brackets, buying a new ignition and fuel controller, and the time needed made the project as expensive as just buying a new kit.

#24 ·
keep the Jeep offroad and on the rocks
I know I don't speak for everyone here, but I would LOVE a turbo/supercharger/NOS solution for the lack of power in my 4th and 5th gears. Sure it clicks down a flat road at 80 just fine. I've even caught myself over 90 a few times (my cruise control on my old cars was the floorboard). But if you put a hill in the way, or need to get around grandma, the wrangler does not have the power needed. And forget about passing on any decent uphill slope. For doing the trails and crawling the rocks, my stock 4.0 is perfect for me. But when I drove it to Montana and back it didn't suck, but I was left wanting. The way back was really bad, had a head wind most of the way. Once I get enough cash together I intend to buy a small cheap car (Tiberon? perhaps) that can get me around cheaply and quickly so I can invest money into making my jeep more offroad capable. But how it is now if I need to drive any real distance the jeep does leave something to be desired. I'm sure there will be more "that's not what it was designed for" posts. I wanted an offroad fun vehicle, that's why I bought my jeep. But why can't I have my cake and eat it to without having these "purists" look down their nose at me? Just because I don't have a lift or larger tires does not mean I don't use the jeep for what it's "intended". It means I'm young, poor, and it's my only vehicle.

P.S. I believe NOS to be a safe added source of power if it's installed and used correctly. We've all heard the horror stories, but then again we all drive vehicle that are relatively easy to tip so I think we're all "risk takers" here.

#26 ·
SlinkyTJ said:
*This just in*
Hondas are not fast. :D

I sold my 12 sec. camaro to pay for my lift and tires and such. I miss the power of that car... it was getting close to 400 lbs of torque. :D
Why do you comment about something you don't know? Honda's are fast, not all, but some are. Just to clarify I don't own a Honda.

12 sec Camaro, that's faster than a '03 Viper, but Stotz Honda CBR1100XX runs a 7.75 sec at 189.3 mph :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.