Jeep TJ Spark Plug Reccomendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ Spark Plug Reccomendations

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Jeep TJ Spark Plug Reccomendations

Ive read around on this forum and gotten TONS of different opinions on the exact type of spark plug to use in the TJ's. So far the Champion Spark Plugs seem to be the way to go for the Inline 6's. However some people swear by the E3 diamond fire spark plugs also. In the everyday Jeep owners opinion what do YOU personally reccomend for the Straight 6's. Also, the gapping is .35" correct, and they do come pre-gapped right?

Thanks,
Evan

evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This engine responds well to either standard copper/nickel plugs, or single electrode double platinum plugs, such as the autolites or champions. Chrysler switched from Champion plugs to NGK towards the end to improve cold start characteristics as well as hot restart issues, so you may want to consider the NGKs as well. I personally wouldn't waste my money on these "E3" plugs.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Champions here... They work great!
parcours is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
This engine responds well to either standard copper/nickel plugs, or single electrode double platinum plugs, such as the autolites or champions. Chrysler switched from Champion plugs to NGK towards the end to improve cold start characteristics as well as hot restart issues, so you may want to consider the NGKs as well. I personally wouldn't waste my money on these "E3" plugs.
X2 on the crap "E3's".

I personally like to call for the OEM specs. I go close as possible with autolites. I got the coppers and gaped them to .035" and she runs perfect. Don't mess with a good thing. And don't run too cold of a plug, that's just trouble,
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure a new thread about the same old question will solve it for everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post
Ive read around on this forum and gotten TONS of different opinions on the exact type of spark plug to use in the TJ's. So far the Champion Spark Plugs seem to be the way to go for the Inline 6's. However some people swear by the E3 diamond fire spark plugs also. In the everyday Jeep owners opinion what do YOU personally reccomend for the Straight 6's. Also, the gapping is .35" correct, and they do come pre-gapped right?

Thanks,
Evan
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Champion 7034's
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did a poll on this same subject and went with the Autolite app985's and they were a huge difference. The Champion 7034's are good too but I couldn't find them anywhere.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re...-plug-1134593/
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run Autolite APP985 double platinum plugs, also the Champion 7034 double platinums work well too. Those are the only ones other than standard copper that will work, everything else you will have issues with trust me it's been tried. The waste spark system in the wrangler while extremely reliable is very picky about the plugs you use.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If I had a choice between Champion and AUTOLITE,,,,,,,, AUTOLITE would win 100% of the time and I'm not even a FORD fan! I HATE Champion plugs! Had a significant issue with them once. In my opinion, there junk!

I'm sure that there are better quality than they were years back but,,, I will not use them.

Another great LONG LASTING Spark-plug is the AC Delco Iridium plugs. I own C5 and C6 Corvettes. They use the AC Delco Iridium plugs and they perform FANTASTIC..

Iridium doesn't PREFORM any better than any other spark plug. They just last a LOT LONGER and hold their set gap better! The best performing Spark-plug is a Copper Core Plug but,, they DO NOT last as long as a rare metal plug.

Fancy high dollar Spark-plugs don't make HP. Plugs with MULTIPLE gaps look cool but, the spark only jumps from ONE GAP at a time!!!

Spark plug wires are the same. FANCY $200 wires will NOT increase HP.. There are basically THREE types of spark plug wires used on modern engines.

Solid Core ( Not recommend,, but for all out racing applications)

Suppressive Carbon Core: (Inexpensive wires used on common platforms. High Resistance wires! )

Inductive Spiral Wound Core wires. They use Nickel Alloy Wire for the conductor that is spiral wound around a nylon or amrid core. One of the best wires made and has the lowest resistance for a stock wire. A good spiral wound wire cant be beat for performance and longevity.

There are other types of wires and most of them are hype. Stick with the spiral wound core wires with good quality silicone jackets and boots.

BC
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
wheels082
2010 JK Wrangler 

I like the Champion plugs in my straight 6. I would not recommend the E3 plugs.
wheels082 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Autolite APP985 plugs for 2000-2006'.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

what is the reccomended change interval for plugs in the new c.o.p. 4.0L's?
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post
the gapping is .35" correct, and they do come pre-gapped right?
Thanks,
Evan
never trust the factory pre set gap on a plug. they get bounced around in shipment too much. what if your local parts monkey drops them?

its important you check your gaps!

brand and style is up to you. id use the factory champion or the autolite myself. i have had good luck with ngk also. they are all quality plugs and should perform well. the fancy multi-tip plugs are a waste of money.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
what is the reccomended change interval for plugs in the new c.o.p. 4.0L's?
The APP985 plugs will last 100,000 miles.I change the stock plugs at 50,000.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Jeep View Post
AUTOLITE would win 100% of the time and I'm not even a FORD fan!
Not to derail the thread, but Ford hasn't owned Autolite for a long time - they were forced to sell the brand in around 1972-1973 for anti-trust reasons. Ford then re-launched the Motorcraft brand (they had used the name unsucessfully in the '50's) to replace it, which it still owns today.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.