Jeep TJ mild lift recommendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ mild lift recommendations?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Wrangler2012
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ mild lift recommendations?

Hey guys! so even though I said I would never lift my TJ after I had terrible ride issues with my YJ, the jeep bug finally found me and bit me and here am I looking for a lift. I've looked at tons of threads for this kind of thing but nobody has ever asked quite the right question. I'm looking for a small lift-how small is small? We'll cover that soon-for my 2001 jeep tj sport (4.0) so let's look at some of the questions:

How high are we talking?-
Currently I'm running 31x9.5 tires on a jeep that is stock as far as drivetrain and suspension are concerned. I think eventually I might like to bump up to 33s once the money is a little more plentiful and I can afford to re-gear, re-axle and actually buy the tires. So I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 2"-3" would be sufficient.

What's the budget?:
The budget is about $1000-$1500...sort of. More on that later.

What is it going to be used for?:
This jeep will be a weekend warrior pretty much. I have about a 21 mile daily commute, with 75% of it at highway speeds. Also, I'm only a few hours from rausch creek and there are smaller trails around me that I would like to start hitting so it does need to be able to perform reasonably well. I'm not looking to take the ultimate adventure trip, but I need to be able to do a lot.

So what's different?:
What's different about this thread than any other? The difference is my brothers job. Lol. He works at a large local auto parts distributor (A&A) and as a result, gets GREAT discounts on pretty much everything sold at the store-except oil. It's actually a little higher. Isn't that weird?. So my REAL budget is probably around $500-$700. The budget I talked about above is the original price of the lift. So because of that discount, I'm trying to pick a lift from one of the companies they sell there. They sell: rough country, rancho, ready lift, pro comp, and a few others that I've never really heard of. So what would you recommend? He said rancho is pretty good. I don't know.

So If you would just give me your recommendations that'd be great! Preferably for a lift you've actually had.

Wrangler2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
To run 33's, you need to lift your Jeep a minimum of 3", ideally 4". I run 33's with a combination 2" suspension lift and 1.25" body lift.

I originally ran a 2" BDS suspension lift and was very happy with the lift's performance on and off the road. I highly recommend the 2" BDS lift.

I now run a 2" OME suspension lift and it is also a great suspension lift, it is more spendy compared to BDS, but offers more options for coil and shock rate - ranging from light to heavy duty.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
RKNTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 4" suspension lift and run 33x12.50x15.

If you have stock wheels and want to run wider tires than a 10.50 you will need wheel spacers or a rim with more back spacing than the stock wheels.
RKNTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
ItsMrHall

2006 TJ Wrangler 

2.5" ome suspension lift = money for 33's. Just enough lift and usually avoids any other suspension mods required ( cv drive shaft, ect)

Chance of fender rubbing depending on actual tire size. If the case throw ln a 1" BL

"No its a tie. That guy doesn't count, he can't even read!"
ItsMrHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Pkauf123456
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The OME is a a Great Ride and you can add a 1.25" body lift if you need more space for the tires. I did this to mine and love it.
Pkauf123456 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.