Jeep TJ mild lift recommendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ mild lift recommendations?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Wrangler2012
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ mild lift recommendations?

Hey guys! so even though I said I would never lift my TJ after I had terrible ride issues with my YJ, the jeep bug finally found me and bit me and here am I looking for a lift. I've looked at tons of threads for this kind of thing but nobody has ever asked quite the right question. I'm looking for a small lift-how small is small? We'll cover that soon-for my 2001 jeep tj sport (4.0) so let's look at some of the questions:

How high are we talking?-
Currently I'm running 31x9.5 tires on a jeep that is stock as far as drivetrain and suspension are concerned. I think eventually I might like to bump up to 33s once the money is a little more plentiful and I can afford to re-gear, re-axle and actually buy the tires. So I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 2"-3" would be sufficient.

What's the budget?:
The budget is about $1000-$1500...sort of. More on that later.

What is it going to be used for?:
This jeep will be a weekend warrior pretty much. I have about a 21 mile daily commute, with 75% of it at highway speeds. Also, I'm only a few hours from rausch creek and there are smaller trails around me that I would like to start hitting so it does need to be able to perform reasonably well. I'm not looking to take the ultimate adventure trip, but I need to be able to do a lot.

So what's different?:
What's different about this thread than any other? The difference is my brothers job. Lol. He works at a large local auto parts distributor (A&A) and as a result, gets GREAT discounts on pretty much everything sold at the store-except oil. It's actually a little higher. Isn't that weird?. So my REAL budget is probably around $500-$700. The budget I talked about above is the original price of the lift. So because of that discount, I'm trying to pick a lift from one of the companies they sell there. They sell: rough country, rancho, ready lift, pro comp, and a few others that I've never really heard of. So what would you recommend? He said rancho is pretty good. I don't know.

So If you would just give me your recommendations that'd be great! Preferably for a lift you've actually had.

Wrangler2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
To run 33's, you need to lift your Jeep a minimum of 3", ideally 4". I run 33's with a combination 2" suspension lift and 1.25" body lift.

I originally ran a 2" BDS suspension lift and was very happy with the lift's performance on and off the road. I highly recommend the 2" BDS lift.

I now run a 2" OME suspension lift and it is also a great suspension lift, it is more spendy compared to BDS, but offers more options for coil and shock rate - ranging from light to heavy duty.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
RKNTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 4" suspension lift and run 33x12.50x15.

If you have stock wheels and want to run wider tires than a 10.50 you will need wheel spacers or a rim with more back spacing than the stock wheels.
RKNTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
ItsMrHall

2006 TJ Wrangler 

2.5" ome suspension lift = money for 33's. Just enough lift and usually avoids any other suspension mods required ( cv drive shaft, ect)

Chance of fender rubbing depending on actual tire size. If the case throw ln a 1" BL

"No its a tie. That guy doesn't count, he can't even read!"
ItsMrHall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Pkauf123456
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The OME is a a Great Ride and you can add a 1.25" body lift if you need more space for the tires. I did this to mine and love it.
Pkauf123456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.