Jeep TJ making whining noise from rear end. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ making whining noise from rear end.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Davetha

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ making whining noise from rear end.

Hey guys,
So after a wheeling trip I noticed on the way back that my Jeep started making kind of a whining noise from the rear end. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side, but it could be coming from else where.

I took off the passenger side wheel, and inspected the brakes, just incase there was something that might have been stuck in the drum, but didn't find anything.

I've uploaded two videos, and was wondering if any of you think you could pin point what it is from the sound. I drained the gear oil and checked out the diff as well. I'm didn't see anything out of the ordinary, however I'm no pro!

The sound seems to start at around 37mph, and gets a lot louder at around 42mph~

Video 1

Video 2

Davetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Rilles1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does it make it when you let off primarily? because if so mine does the same..exhaust my friend
Rilles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
saharacon87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thats def from your rear end. Sounds like you messed up your bearings.
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What's the light that comes on at the right hand upper corner of the dash? Is it a locker light or ck engine light?
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.