Jeep TJ hard top wiring defroster help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ hard top wiring defroster help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
tjay1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ hard top wiring defroster help

I recently purchased a '97 hard top to put on my '00 TJ. I ordered and installed the correct factory replacement wiring harness from Mopar, and followed the instructions it came with to a T. I even had an electrician buddy do all the splicing for me. After installation, the rear wiper and wash spray work fine, but the rear defrost will not work. For some reason, power is not getting to the defroster, as the little red indicator light on the defrost switch does not illuminate. I have researched this extensively, and have found that many people have had the same problem, but I cannot find a solution to it. I have checked to see if the actual defrost element works (it does), that the hbl relay and fuse are installed properly in the Power Distribution Center (they are), and that the hbl fuse behind the glove box (#17) is properly wired (it is). Unfortunately, I ran into several inconsistencies with the instructions that came with the harness from mopar. For instance, the diagram in the instructions next to step 20 for the PDC did not match the PDC in my jeep (I was able to find the corresponding locations though). Also, when connecting the darkblue/lightgreen and lightblue/white wires into the passenger side 10-way I/P cluster connector for step 43 , I had to replace the wire terminals to get them to fit into the connector, which is something the instructions say you only have to do on a 1997 jeep. My whole problem is that I am not getting power to the rear defrost, and I am concerned that steps 34 - 36 on page 6 of the instructions are responsible for this. In the instructions, on page 6, there are 3 different ways to connect the Blue/White wire: one way for '97 models, one way for '98 models, and a different way for '99 models. Since my jeep is a '00, I skipped steps 34 - 36, and now I have an unused blue/white wire hanging out of my harness. I have exhausted all resources for fixing this problem shy of spending hundreds at an auto shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. To make it easier to visualize, I have scanned the instructions I have from mopar and uploaded them to my flickr page. Here is the link:

0of8 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

or copy paste it

0of8 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

tjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
MSgtBob66
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the exact same issue! 2000 TJ with '99 top. Bought the harness through Quadratec. Called Quadratec and they referred me to the dealer (who told me to pound sand) and then I called the local 4x4 shop to see what they said. It looks like we got an old ('99 & older) discontinued wiring kit. Where did you finally hook up that errant lt blue/white wire?
MSgtBob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search. I know there have recently been several threads about issues with the defroster.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtBob66 View Post
I have the exact same issue! 2000 TJ with '99 top. Bought the harness through Quadratec. Called Quadratec and they referred me to the dealer (who told me to pound sand) and then I called the local 4x4 shop to see what they said. It looks like we got an old ('99 & older) discontinued wiring kit. Where did you finally hook up that errant lt blue/white wire?
Go to the link above. On page 6, I think you need 34c, 35c, 36c. The gray 10 pin connector (C-170) should have no female connector going into the (empty) male one. Find the blue/white wire in the 2 position & splice into it as shown. If there is a female connector there & the 2 position is empty, insert your wire there. That wire goes to the instrument cluster where there is a timer that controls the defogger relay. Here is a link to the pin outs. On page 11 you will see the C-170 connector & it shows the positions.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se....swf#toolbar=0

More help from the entire FSM (read only) here

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
MSgtBob66
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rubi4MyMrs,

I'll check it out, this is what I suspected due to the dates of the documents I have. I got a copy of the rear defroster wiring diagrm from alldata, it matches what you told me.

I'll bet dimes to doughnuts this is my fix!

BOB
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If it works, post results. There have been others with similar problems. It might help them figure this out.
Unread 01-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
MSgtBob66
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I GOT IT!

OK, here's the deal. I have a '00 TJ SE that came w/soft top. After 11 years, I bought a used 1999 OE hard top complete w/wiper & washer plus defroster rear window. This past Christmas (2011) I bought an OE hardtop wiring kit from Quadratec. I recieved it with all pieces, but the wiper switch was bad, missing a return spring. I installed the kit on 30 Dec 2011. It kicked my butt, and I am a mechanic for a living. When my initial attempt was all said & done, I had the wiper & washer working, but no rear defrost as posted above. After researching and getting some great advice from Rubi4MyMrs and a buddy at work, I got the defrost to work! As TJ1 posted above for his TJ, I had a wire left dangling from the harness. I hooked it up according to Rubi's suggestion, using the 1999 additional instructions and still had no power. Bummer! My buddy came over, I showed him what I did, explained that there was some different nomenclature and he said, "Hey dummy, you're right. Bad nomenclature leads to no power to circuit from the PDC. Read again!"

Here we go for a 2000 TJ: At step 21 & 22, the directions list the EBL relay and maxi fuse. For a 2000 TJ, the pdc calls it an HBL Relay. Additionallly, you then need to install the 40Amp cartidge style maxi fuse INTO THE FUSE LOCATION #2 LABELED HBL. Steps 34c, 35c, 36c apply to a 1999 & 2000. Steps 41 - 43 require instalation of the supplied 1997 terminals.

That's it. Thanks for the assist fellow Jeepers!

BOB
Unread 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK!! Glad it worked for you. Just today I'm back to where my jeep is. I looked up my instructions for my '05 & it has the 40A fuse going into the #2 HLB slot & the relay into the HLB relay socket. I guess your '00 is more like the later ones rather than the earlier ones. Thanks for posting the update. I'm sure that will help others with this inconsistency.

Tags
defroster , hardtop , jeep , tj , wiring harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.