Jeep Tj Hard lines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj Hard lines

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
MikeyMercier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Tj Hard lines

So after just finishing the whole rebuild process on my tj i get to the point where im excited to drive it all over again, i take it to the nearest shop to get its brakes bled and it comes back with a 'pin hole leak' in the passenger side hardline from the master cylinder. I'm only 17 and im wondering to buy prebent, make my own or just take it to a shop? Ive done all the work on this jeep myself and the one time i take it to a shop this happens so im a little bit weary. All replies/ advice appreciated . ive researched this whole issue for days now and have not come to a single conclusion yet, so please help me out.
Thanks

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does sound kinda shady, but have you actually looked at it and verified a leak?
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
MikeyMercier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ops5 View Post
Does sound kinda shady, but have you actually looked at it and verified a leak?
yes its coming from behind the inner fender on the passenger side along the frame rail. When I press the brake, fluid just squirts out from behind. This sucks so much being my jeep is the only vehicle i have and it just sucks to not drive it. im turning over 3 months with her just sitting in my drive way
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Jeeprogue
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just buy a length of metal line from autozone, the line they sell is bendable easily by hand, and make it yourself. its a lot easier then you are thinking its going to be.
Jeeprogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
CharlieHo
Get Savvy

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Curious about two things...

Why did you take it to a shop to bleed the brakes?

Why didn't the shop fix the leak on the spot, and then bleed your brakes?

Really, we're talking minutes of work here.
I have the ability to spell correctly, it's just that the autocorrect on my iPad will not permit it.
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHo
Really, we're talking BILLABLE minutes of work here.
FIFY

In my experience, there's the reason right there

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
MikeyMercier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHo View Post
Curious about two things...

Why did you take it to a shop to bleed the brakes?

Why didn't the shop fix the leak on the spot, and then bleed your brakes?

Really, we're talking minutes of work here.
the mc was completely dry and i thought you wouldnt be able to gravity/pump bleed the brakes since the system was completely dry.
the shop told me they cant patch the line which i would understand, i dont feel safe with patching in the hardline with compression fittings. they told me i would have to pay for them to repair the whole line and quoted 1k$ to replace all the 3 hardlines, i told them to rob someone else and took the jeep off the lift.
this specific shop will never see my money again believe me, i had to pay for them to replace my wheel cylinders that they broke off. it's so hard to find a trust worthy shop here in south florida that does quality work.
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If one of the brake lines has rotted out I'd recommend you replace all 3.
If one is bad the other two probably aren't too far behind.
If you choose to do it yourself I'd recommend buying the better Copper/Nickle line.
MUCH easier to form and bend that the steel. Plus the line will never rust out.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just took a rough measurement of each run and went to NAPA. I got a bunch of lines that were pretty close in length to what I was replacing . It really don't take long to do the whole Jeep . I felt much better when it was done . Ya don't need something as little as a brake line to blow and ruin the Jeep for a few bucks and a couple hrs work.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
MikeyMercier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
I just took a rough measurement of each run and went to NAPA. I got a bunch of lines that were pretty close in length to what I was replacing . It really don't take long to do the whole Jeep . I felt much better when it was done . Ya don't need something as little as a brake line to blow and ruin the Jeep for a few bucks and a couple hrs work.
do you have the lengths written down by any chance? i heard the passenger side takes like 10ft or something could you verify?

also, thanks to all for your advice/help hopefully i can get this knocked out within the week.
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I don't have a clue on the lengths . I will tell you for bending I used a large socket . Just slowly bend it around the socket as far as you need to go to make the bends you need . I had no kinks that way .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
77midget
1997 TJ Wrangler 

take your time and bend slow. FWIW you can get a cheap brake pipe bender tool at most autoparts stores. I still use the one I bought for $15 almost 10 years ago. I believe the 'spring sleeve' style ones are even cheaper, but never used one of those.

I did my rear main line and both rear slave lines in the fall-I removed the old lines, used string stretched along the old line to gauge the length, and bought lengths based on that.
77midget is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.