Jeep TJ Frame Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ Frame Replacement

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
n1ml
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ Frame Replacement

We're looking at a 2000 TJ that needs a new frame. It is rusted out in several places. what kind of job is it to replace the frame? The dealer did not seem to think it was a big deal but I think it looks complicated.

n1ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
cbrew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ml View Post
We're looking at a 2000 TJ that needs a new frame. It is rusted out in several places. what kind of job is it to replace the frame? The dealer did not seem to think it was a big deal but I think it looks complicated.
It is not complicated if you have the proper tools, time and money for the job.

but i would be concerned if that rig has a rotten frame already. what else needs to be replaced
cbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
klincker
2013 JK Wrangler 

there's plenty of other TJs out there for you.
klincker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Heavier metal fab like that is not something one can just dive into and expect great results. Surely there are other problems too. Some Jeep wiring, etc. is not that great even under the best conditions. Sounds like a potential can of worms.

I'd pass on that deal.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

NO metal fab required, but it is a ton of work to unbolt everything - body, suspension, brake lines, wiring harnesses grill, fenders etc to put a new frame under there. Plus you have to do it twice - there are no aftermarket frames so you'd be finding a junkyard frame.

It would have to a KILLER deal for me to even consider it, and then there also what cbrew pointed out.

Rust is bad, m'kay?
break4.JPG - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ask the dealer how much it would cost. That should give you some idea as to how much a big deal it is.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i think jeeps might be a little easier but i have seen a few frames replaced on tacomas where i work and they pay 60 hours
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The dealer doesn't think it's a big deal because he wants to sell you the vehicle. Then it becomes your problem, not his.

Unless the dealer is going to give this vehicle to you for pennies, there are too many good used Jeeps out there to mess with this one. Find another one.
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Alex74012
2004 TJ Wrangler 

give me some beer
and a number 10 large,diet coke from macdonalds and im down lol
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
merckx9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the frame is rusted out and it is a 2000 TJ, what else is wrong that you CAN'T see? I'd pass on this deal. Where there is smoke there is fire. Your profile says you are from Florida. There have got to be other fairly rust free TJ's available down there. Be patient. A dealer's word carries no weight with me anyway.
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
n1ml
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My daughter in NH was the one looking for the Jeep, I have a TJ down here in FL. That's why it has the rust problem. The non-Jeep dealer was going to replace it as part of the sale. Getting the feedback here helped make the decision to PASS on it. It just wasn't a good enough deal to take on all the potential problems.
Thanks for all the inputs.
n1ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...The non-Jeep dealer was going to replace it as part of the sale...
Enquiring minds want to know - how much was this TJ going to cost you, to include the frame replacement?
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

Swapping the frame is a HUGE job. You'd need a 2 car garage or 2 parking spaces to do the job, frame in one spot, body in the other. The entire body and drivetrain(engine, trans and t-case) has to be pulled. That means all wiring has to be pulled too. And then it all has to go back in.

That Jeep would have to be nearly free for me to jump on it.
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
TJ23
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Enquiring minds want to know - how much was this TJ going to cost you, to include the frame replacement?
It was actually me looking at the Jeep (thanks for the post, Dad! ). The negotiated price was $7k, which was contingent on the vehicle passing inspection and a few other fixes I requested. They didn't offer a discount after the inspection turned up these issues, only to replace the frame at no cost to me. For the record though, these guys have been pretty cool. They could have just slapped a sticker on it, taken my money, and sent me on my way.

I'm bummed because after looking for a couple months it doesn't appear that I'm going to be able to find a clean, rot-free '99-'02 TJ in New England.
TJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWJEEP View Post
Swapping the frame is a HUGE job. You'd need a 2 car garage or 2 parking spaces to do the job, frame in one spot, body in the other. The entire body and drivetrain(engine, trans and t-case) has to be pulled. That means all wiring has to be pulled too. And then it all has to go back in.

That Jeep would have to be nearly free for me to jump on it.
Yep.
Then you'd find rusted body mounts, rusted out floor boards, rusted out suspension components, etc.

n1ml - find her a clean Jeep down south - fuggidaboud those rust buckets in the NE.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.