• 2 Post By Smeberg
  • 1 Post By T-Jay
  • 1 Post By Smeberg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Smeberg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ Frame CAD Model

I've been working on a CAD model of the TJs frame based on the blueprints that are out there. I'm doing this mainly for myself so its not full professional work but I do work as a CAD designer. I used every available dimension on the 2D prints but there were a few places i had to estimate (complex splines in the rear axle dogleg and near the front coil tower) I will say however that its darn close to the real thing. Anyway I thought I'd throw this out to the community. If anybody wants the files PM me and Ill try to get it to you in your desired format. Pics down below.

Work in progress 9-17-17

Attached Thumbnails
Capture4.jpg   Capture3.jpg   Capture2.jpg   Capture1.jpg  
TJ-Bville and Shrewd1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 12:05 PM
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeberg
I've been working on a CAD model of the TJs frame based on the blueprints that are out there. I'm doing this mainly for myself so its not full professional work but I do work as a CAD designer. I used every available dimension on the 2D prints but there were a few places i had to estimate (complex splines in the rear axle dogleg and near the front coil tower) I will say however that its darn close to the real thing. Anyway I thought I'd throw this out to the community. If anybody wants the files PM me and Ill try to get it to you in your desired format. Pics down below. Work in progress 9-17-17
Looks good so far. :-)

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM
GeckoJoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You may look into getting any measurements that you are missing from someone who has their tub off and can easily and accurately measure section of the frame rails. Great work on the drawings, a set of TJ CAD files would be extremely useful for me and many others for suspension and skid plate design work when I get that far.

97 TJ-2.5 5spd Gecko Green first jeep---sold
04 TJ 4.0 5spd Rocky Mountain Edition

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice work and welcome to the forum!

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 02:18 PM
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You did it wrong. Your first post is supposed to go something like... "uhh, dunt kno anyting about nuttin but ifIgive you no useful information could you help solve my prblm anway? ..."

Best first post ever?

Jerry Bransford and arg0413 like this.

JSt.Marie
'06 Jeep Wrangler, 65th Edition, stock.
'98 Jeep Wrangler, stock.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Smeberg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Update:
Ive been working on designing a frame stretch to LJ length. The design is somewhat based off the AEV brute frame stretch. The midsection is split 95 inches back from the front face of the frame and the rear end section is attached right to the end of the stock rails. Extensions are 10" and 5" respectively. Like before PM for files.

Also to anybody who has actual hands on the experience stretching the frame. If it looks like I'm doing something stupid go ahead and let me know so I'm not putting crap info out into the community.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture6.jpg   Capture7.jpg   Capture8.jpg   Capture9.jpg   Capture10.jpg  

Capture11.jpg   Capture12.jpg  
Jerry Bransford and oj707 like this.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 PM
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Update: Ive been working on designing a frame stretch to LJ length. The design is somewhat based off the AEV brute frame stretch. The midsection is split 95 inches back from the front face of the frame and the rear end section is attached right to the end of the stock rails. Extensions are 10" and 5" respectively. Like before PM for files. Also to anybody who has actual hands on the experience stretching the frame. If it looks like I'm doing something stupid go ahead and let me know so I'm not putting crap info out into the community.
In my humble opinion you'd be making more work for yourself by cutting and stretching in two locations. The only reason I can think of to do that is to create that long LJ over hang in the back. Which is fine if that's what your looking for but that long butt tends to hit and drag on the rocks I cut and stretched my TJ frame all 15" right before the last side body mount brackets. Here: image-3366917578.jpg image-389565934.jpgimage-3296410706.jpg

image-3277187625.jpgimage-2538445880.jpg
Jerry Bransford likes this.

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Smeberg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with you completely T-Jay, however I would like to be able to build a custom rolling chassis that you can drop an LJ tub on to. Aside from that consideration your way would be less work. Btw I was checking out your work earlier today, excellent build and write up
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 02:15 AM
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I agree with you completely T-Jay, however I would like to be able to build a custom rolling chassis that you can drop an LJ tub on to. Aside from that consideration your way would be less work. Btw I was checking out your work earlier today, excellent build and write up
Gotcha. In that case the only relevant advice I can offer is to mark as many pre-cut reference points and possible. Getting the frame perfectly aligned around the extensions is crucial. I spent about 2 hours nervously checking and re checking all my measurements and references points. If I could go back in time I would have made more reference points before I cut the frame just to calm my nerves.

Good luck. ;-)

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

Tags
chassis , frame , stretched

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.